The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Where to get some decent 20 ga mobile chokes?

I need to get a few mobil chokes for a new to me 390 20 gauge, along with a wrench. Randy Wakman recommends the Trulock flushmount.

What else would you recommend, and where would you get them?
Old September 12, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
oneounceload

Briley - from Briley - they are the original in this area
Trulock is good, as is Seminole

If you get extended versions, no wrench is needed
Old September 12, 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

Briley....

But you don't need a wrench .../ if they're too tight to get out by just sticking your finger inside the tube and screwing it out ...( they need to be cleaned and lubed - and put back in - "Finger tight" - not with a wrench). Wrenches have ruined a lot of barrels ...by somebody cranking them in when they're cross-threaded ....and its sad !!
Old September 12, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
zippy13

What's wrong with the ones Beretta makes?
Old September 12, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
oneounceload

IIRC, Briley makes Beretta's chokes (as they do for a lot of Italian guns as well) at their Italian operation, but there is nothing wrong with Beretta's versions
Old September 12, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
RoscoeC

I prefer extended chokes. They don't require a wrench and they protect the muzzle from dings. Lots of good manufacturers. I have a lot of Angle Ports and really like them, but Trulock, Briley and others should be fine too.

Let's face it, it is a tube. It ain't rocket surgery. As long as the bore and exterior are concentric it should do its job.

The manufacturers would like for you to believe its a lot more complicated than it is, so they can justify charging you $40.00 to $50.00 each.
NRA Life Member
Old September 12, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7
oregunner

Check CDNN http://www.cdnninvestments.com/bechtu.html
Old September 13, 2011, 07:57 AM   #8
maierar

http://www.choketube.com/mobilchoke.html
Old September 13, 2011, 10:11 AM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
Let's face it, it is a tube. It ain't rocket surgery. As long as the bore and exterior are concentric it should do its job.
And the skirt is the proper size, the taper, parallel, and constriction are done properly in tolerances of .001 or less, and the threads on the tubes are executed exactly correct - you would be right
Old September 13, 2011, 10:19 AM   #10
BigJimP

Zippy's right - we shouldn't neglect to just say buy them from Beretta.

I think Briley makes Brownings screw in chokes as well ..and I've always just bought them direct from Browning.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:45 PM   #11
RoscoeC

Quote:
And the skirt is the proper size, the taper, parallel, and constriction are done properly in tolerances of .001 or less, and the threads on the tubes are executed exactly correct - you would be right
All of those things are pertinent, certainly. However, I still maintain that choke tubes are very simple devices and .001" tolerances are not at all difficult to attain. Nor are properly executed threads. I can buy a ball valve hose bib for $13.00 at Home Depot. It has closer tolerances and is far more complex than a choke tube. The raw materials are probably more costly than those in most choke tubes.

All I am trying to say is that any reputable maker will more than likely supply a quality product, and they are making a very handsome profit on it. I don't begrudge them that, but bear in mind that about 75% of the stuff said about choke tubes is pure marketing hype. Well unless, of course you are talking about Muller chokes. Those really ARE magic.
NRA Life Member