The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Drummer101

Thinking about getting a shotgun

This past summer I went out shooting with my friends and had on of the best times.

My experience with shotguns:
We were shooting hand thrown clays, I used a Remington 870 Express with pistol grip 12 gauge plus 18 inch barrel (collapsible stock with no padding ) and a 20 gauge Remington 870 that had about a 22 inch barrel. They ended up having the same recoil because of how light the 20 was.

It would manly be used for informal clays, trap and skeet, and maybe duck/bird hunting (so everything).

Main thing is that I cant really see out of my right eye so I have to shoot left handed...

I was looking at the Browning BPS Stalker with a 28 inch barrel and a 3.5 inch chamber and a few chokes (would like at least a 3 inch chamber in case I put in a wrong shell, cheaper to pay the extra $50 then buy a new gun).

I do not have a set price point yet because I dont know what is cheap or expensive but would like to stay under $700.

I do not care about looks but all black for me is preferred over wood (dont like the camo look). Would like it to hold 6+1 or 8+1. 12 gauge. I would like it to have sights for when I might use a slug but most of the ones I have seen only have the little "stub" at the end of the barrel.

Thank you,

Rob
Old October 22, 2009, 07:46 PM   #2
jlbpa

3 inch chamber is all you'll ever need. That stub is called a bead. Front and rear sights are customarily only found on rifled slug barrels. A smooth bore shotgun barrel with a ventilated rib often has two beads for alignment purposes which makes it sufficient for shooting slugs accurately. Remingtons and mossbergs have plentiful market of extension tubes to hold the quantity of shells you desire and barrels to suit your needs. Likely similar hardware is available from Browning but you'll probably find it is more expensive.

Last edited by jlbpa; October 22, 2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edit syntax
Old October 22, 2009, 07:48 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
Front and rear sights are customarily only found on rifled slug barrels
And smoothbore slug barrels, and police barrels.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 22, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
rantingredneck

OP,

If you are mostly going to use the gun for informal clay games, but want occasional slug use, you'd be best served by getting a gun with 2 barrels. With a budget of 700.00 that shouldn't be too hard to do. Swapping barrels on a shotgun is about a 5 minute task with most models.

Old October 22, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Drummer101

I would like to get 2 barrels but I dont really plan on shooting slugs that often, it is more of an after thought.

(at first when you said 2 barrels I was thinking an O/U for under $700 lol )

my "requirements" are subject to change

The best deal I have found

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...roductid=13002

Last edited by Drummer101; October 22, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old October 22, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
TangoMcBlasty

Don't get hung up on "handedness"

Unless you're looking for something that can double as a fighting/defensive shotgun, I wouldn't let being left handed stop you from looking at everthing within your price range. Presumably you won't be fumbling for the slide release or safety under stress on the clays course so layout suited for a lefty won't be too much of priority.

If your concern revolves around being pelted in the face with spent shells, I can tell you that I've shot Rem 870s, Moss 500s, and Win 12s left-handed and I've never had a problem.

If you'd like something that you can also use for defense, then the BPS is a great choice if you're looking for a pump. For a southpaw, you'd be hard pressed to find a pump that has a better layout. Mossbergs have the same layout but I don't like the way they swing for clays.
Old October 22, 2009, 09:14 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Swapping the safety on an 870 for lefthanded use is also about a 5 minute task.

Old October 22, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
sdclaw

Hard to go wrong with the bps

It's hard to go wrong with a BPS for a good all purpuse gun, especially for us lefties. Unless you are doing some serious slug hunting I see nothing wrong with getting a standard barrel with front bead. Many companies (williams, true glo, etc) make iron or fiber optic open sights that are adjustable and bolt directly on the rib. Add in a rifled choke and you have a weapon that should shoot slugs accurately to at least 75 yards for under 100 bucks.

All that being said if you are willing to look at pre owned firearms you should be able to get a used BPS for under 300. A new slug barrel would be in the mid 200's so your overall price would still be well under 700.
Old October 22, 2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Drummer101

This is not going to be a defense gun because it would not even be stored at my own house (long story)

I used the 870 (right handed version) as a lefty, I did not mind the shells flying but I dont know how annoying it would get over the long run.
Old October 23, 2009, 10:26 AM   #10
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
This is not going to be a defense gun because it would not even be stored at my own house (long story)

I used the 870 (right handed version) as a lefty, I did not mind the shells flying but I dont know how annoying it would get over the long run.
I'm a lefty and I use a standard 870 for clays too. If it didn't bother you the first time, I don't think it ever will. Some lefties say the spent shell flying in front of their face distracts them from the game. I've been pretty much oblivious to it and it's never been a problem. If it hasn't caused a problem for you yet, I'd say take advantage of it and don't limit yourself to guns that have an ambidextrous layout. That being said, you won't go wrong with the BPS.

Also if this isn't going to be a defense gun you probably don't need to worry about having a 6+1 or and 8+1 capacity since most courses won't even let you have more than 2 shells loaded in the gun anyway.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Played shotgun games with friends, had a really good time actually using a shotgun...

I like this. How refreshing. It's the perfect reason to want your own, Drummer.*

Get the 12 gauge pump of your choice, standard barrel or maybe a combo package with a second barrel... The regular 5 + 1 version of any of the major brands will do you fine for your intended use, and will be cheaper than something with more shell capacity. And I know you said you wanted black, but right now, plain old wood will also likely be cheaper... Then you'll have money left over for lots and lots of ammunition, so you can shoot the heck out of the thing.

Enjoy.

* And yes, this is a comment on all the new, or want to be, shotgun owners who seem mostly interested in having something tacticool and scary-looking, with lots of bolt-on accessories, that they can show off to people. It's sorta nice, for a change, to have someone like Drummer turn up and say "Hey! This is fun!"
Old October 23, 2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Drummer101

I just like having the a higher cap when I do informal shooting with friends

I dont really care about the tactical stuff, if I was a defense gun it would be a USP or a shotgun with a 18 inch barrel, pistol grip and a collapsible stock.
Old October 23, 2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Wishoot

Quote:
It's hard to go wrong with a BPS
Great gun for lefty or righty. Comes in wood or synthetic. Nicest pump I ever owned. Dumbest thing I've ever done is sell that gun.
Old October 23, 2009, 03:34 PM   #14
BigJimP

Browning BPS is a good versatile gun / for clays, hunting, etc ..

Its also cast neutral, safety on top of receiver - ejects out of the bottom - so its a good gun for a leftie ...without going the custom route.

If you want the 3 1/2" chamber go with the Stalker and synthetic stock / personally I prefer the "Hunter" model - but its not available in 3 1/2". But like others told you / 3 1/2" shells aren't really needed even for waterfowl.

A standard magazine on these guns - will hold 3 of the 3 1/2" or 3" shells / and 4 of the 2 3/4" shells. At a public Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays range ( you can never have more than 2 shells in the gun at any time / including the magazine) - so you might as well leave the plug in the magazine like if you were hunting in the field ( max 2 shells in magazine /1 in chamber ). I would suggest you follow the same etiquette when you're out shooting with your buddies / but on a Skeet, Trap range - you can never have shells in your magazine or the chamber / until you are on the pad / and its your turn to fire.
Old October 23, 2009, 04:13 PM   #15
dawico

Other options

If you are set on a 3 1/2" pump, also look at the Benelli Super Nova and the new Remington 887. Benelli has the Confortec stock that does a great job of reducing recoil, and the 887 is totally coated in plastic to protect against rust. The Benelli also comes with shims to adjust cast and drop so it can be fitted to your build. Both come with fiber optic front sights and are about the same price as the BPS. You should really shoulder them all to see what feels the best.

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I also shoot shotguns and rifles left handed, and have never had a problem with right handed guns. I only buy rightys so that all my guns operate the same way.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:51 PM   #16
Homer-Sm

What about buying an inexpensive o/u? Takes the lefty thing right out of the equation. I was looking at www.cdnnsports.com and they have some good deals on entry level o/u's that are right in your price range. Also this will allow you to use it if you ever shoot skeet or doubles trap at a range in the future.

2 months ago I was with you in the throwing and shooting is cool. Now I'm bit by the Trap bug and am looking for the next toy. Save yourself a step and get something that won't limit you. Well for a few months anyway.
Old October 23, 2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Drummer101

I am at college right now and a few friends invited me to go shooting and duck hunting and I like shooting anyway.

But I dont think an O/U is appropriate for me because most of my stuff will be informal.

If there is a choice between a nice pump action or a cheap O/U I would rather have a nice pump.
Old October 23, 2009, 09:58 PM   #18
TxGun

I vote with those who said they'd go BPS, especially if I shot left-handed. It's just a great shotgun. I love the 870 Wingmaster and have many, but I'd put the BPS, of which I have a couple, right up there with it in terms of quality. And I'd certainly take the BPS over any 870 Express. JMO, of course.

Last edited by TxGun; October 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old October 23, 2009, 10:58 PM   #19
javven

I've been using shotguns on everything from big game to quail for 20+ years and I've never even wanted a 3.5" shell. Whatever 3.5" offered, to me has been made up for with new technology like tungsten matrix shot. If I thought I'd use 3.5" consistantly I'd just go 10ga.

If it fits the BPS is probably for you. My $0.02. If it does have a 3.5" chamber I wouldn't -not- buy it for that reason
Old October 23, 2009, 11:01 PM   #20
Drummer101

It looks like the Browning it is, now about the money...