The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1
Plaz

Gas checks

Do you need special bullets for installing gas checks on 45 acp bullets? Or can they be installed on any 45 acp lead bullets?
Old May 20, 2009, 05:36 AM   #2
Sam06

Plaz, I don't want to bust your bubble but; 45ACP bullets really don't need Gas Checks. They cannot be pushed fast enough to warrant their use.

Now to answer your question, Yes. A Bevel Base bullet is used when installing a gas check. You usually install gas checks when you are lubing/ sizing the bullet in your Sizer. You can do it by hand also.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
JCS1

Gas checks

It makes it difficult to answer your question when you didn't give us the bullet number and who made it. Gas checks were designed to go on the base of a bullet. In your case I don't think you really need them. The bullet mould usually determines whether you can use a gas check or not. If you look at a Lyman catalog check out the 358156 mould. Now it was designed to use a gas check.

Why do you want to use one? It won't make it go any faster. Are you trying to keep your barrel from leading? If that is the case, you might have a barrel that is tight size wise and you need to slug it and find out what size it is then resize the bullet for that size. Also your lead may be to soft.

Hope that helps.
I miss my wife but my aim is getting better.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:57 AM   #4
sundog

Actually, gas checks are not for bevel base bullets, although some enterprising person could probably make them work (they can also be made to work on flat base bullets). GCs are bullets designed for use with bullets made for them - normally with a flat base of a diameter smaller than the bullet diameter that will fit in the cup and then be crimped on.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5
gunner269

Another thing to remember is to aneal (soften) them first, otherwise the bloody things spring open and won't stay put. I heat them up to cherry red using a gas torch and just let them cool down, Then it's easy to put them on with the sizing die.
Cheers gunner.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:49 PM   #6
howlnmad

not a reply but a question

Would anyone on here recomend them on 9MM and .40 S&W? Just asking.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:35 PM   #7
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlnmad
Would anyone on here recomend them on 9MM and .40 S&W? Just asking.
I'm no expert on the matter, but I don't think that they would be necessary in these calibers. I've only see gas checks on magnum handgun rounds and rifle rounds.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:14 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Would anyone on here recommend them on 9MM and .40 S&W? Just asking.
I use them in 9MM exclusively. With any auto, you are going to have to push the load to the point where it will work the action. Some autos need the round to be a little "warm". A gas check will assure that there are no leading issues with cast lead in the auto.
Many people have reported poor results using cast lead bullets in 9MM autos. I suspect the reason they ran into problems was that they were using plain based bullets...not gas checked ones in their efforts.
Gas checked designs for the 9mm are not that common, however RCBS makes the one I use (125 grain, round nose, 2 ogive, has the general shape of military hard ball).