The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
XDmichael

Mossberg 930 SPX ... help!

So I just received a brand new Mossberg 930 SPX and promptly read the instructions manual and then disassembled it so it could be cleaned and oiled. I then put it back together and followed a break in regiment consisting of racking it repeatedly. Once that was done I disassembled it for a second time to observe the wear points and to clean out these new shaving deposits.

The problems is that this second time I disassembled it I set the shotgun down and a small spring+pin+cap type part fell out. I didn't recognize it and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the user manual.

Does anybody know where this piece came from or where I can find information about it??

Thank you all very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3658-2.JPG (125.7 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3660-2.JPG (148.6 KB, 467 views)
Old April 12, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
RoscoeC

You are correct, I see nothing on the exploded view that looks like these parts. That leads me to believe that they are from one of the 4 items that are listed as assemblies, and thus aren't exploded. The gas piston assembly can be ruled out. That leaves the Trigger assembly, Bolt assembly or the Bolt carrier. Could this perhaps be the parts that retain the bolt operating handle?

I''m just guessing here, but I would look closely at those three and see if there isn't an empty hole somewhere.
NRA Life Member
Old April 12, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Smitty in CT

The pin, cup, and spring are your hammer spring / cocking indicator.

They are part of your trigger group

When your hammer is cocked, it will look like this:

Put you hand over the hammer and pull the trigger and release the spring tension:

Let the hammer go all the way forward, like this:

The pin, spring, and cup go into the trigger group as shown here:

Does that help??

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old April 12, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Smitty, Very good explanation from what I see... I will remember to hit you up with questions when I finally splurge on a Mossberg auto loader...
Brent
Old April 12, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5
4thPointofContact

Don't feel bad, you learned the lesson the same way I did....

Don't disassemble the 930 with the hammer uncocked or you'll lose parts. Do it like the manual says and the hammer will be cocked before disassembly.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Homerboy

Same thing happened to me. I figured it out on my own, but there was a lot of cursing before I hit it. Smitty's post is excellent. I never realized the culprit was I was taking it apart with the hammer uncocked. NExt time I disasseble it, I'll leave it cocked.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:40 AM   #7
zippy13

Greetings, XDmichael, and welcome aboard,

Smitty in CT did such an outstanding job there's not much left to do, except to say: Hello, and congratulate you on your new acquisition. Now, go get a mess of shells and give it (and you) a thorough breaking-in.
Old April 13, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
XDmichael

WOW!! Smitty your post is fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen a more detailed and spot-on reply!

Zippy13, thank you! I cannot wait to get this fantastic gun out on the range! I've got plenty of ammo ... now I just have to find the time.

Overall ... thanks everybody for the help. I got pretty worried there for a bit ... but now that little part is no longer a mystery.

Old January 4, 2012, 12:13 AM   #9
jve153

necroposter

i had this same issue tonight, came across this in google search. joined the forum specifically to say thank you
Old January 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Glad you joined... Now stick around and tell us about yer guns...

Brent
Old January 4, 2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Gehrhard

I thought it was the part that makes these guns have problems. If it were I'd love to buy one with a Monte Carlo stock. In reality, seems like it really is unnecessary. Could we keep it out?

Either way, welcome, enjoy, and be safe. Nicely put together response -- good to take the time out to do that all!
Old June 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #12
BobbyChis

Mossberg 930 SPX

Smitty thanks for the pics I was having a tough time reassembling the trigger group. It took me a few seconds to put it back together.

Tags
930 , mossberg , shotgun , spx