The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #1
santino34

Tec-22 Problem

Hi guys. A buddy of mine just gave me an old Tec 22 that he bought NIB back in 1989. It is still in very good shape, but it does have one problem. It fires a round when you pull the trigger and then another when you release the trigger, and sometimes more that 2 in a row. Has anyone here ever had any experience one of these and know how to fix this problem? Should I replace the hammer and trigger? I can order these parts from Numrich and would like to try to fix it myself. I know it isnt the best 22 LR in the world, but it is still kinda cool and it was gift from a long time friend who was cleaning out his old stuff while moving into a new house. So I want to give it a good home and get it working properly. Thanks in advance.
Old July 13, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Superhouse 15

WOW

You have a big problem. Based on a recent court case decision you have an illegal machine gun, regardless of why it is failing. While it probably is a mechanical failure and not some illegal modification, how do you know the previous owner didn't do some unauthorized tinkering with it? Even if it was to do a "home trigger job" and not to illegally make a full auto, it is a big no-no. Procede accordingly.

They are simple to work on. If you get the parts and look at the Numrich schematic:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...l=4220zTEC-22T
you can replace hammer, sear, insert, springs, and pins pretty easy. It does not take much gunsmithing knowledge to do.

Recent case you should be familiar with, he's in jail now:
http://www.firearmscoalition.org/ind...=192&Itemid=37
Old July 13, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
santino34

Thanks for the help Superhouse 15. I was tinkering with it last night and found how easy it is to take apart and remove the hammer, trigger, pins and spring. It looks like the hook on the hammer that engages the trigger has some metal chipped off. This is what is probably causing the problem. Just to be safe, I ordered new parts from Numrich and destroyed the old ones.

As far as my friend. I was with him when he bought it and I was with him when it started going bad. It started doubling over 10 years ago and that is when he stopped shooting it and just put it away. I know he never messed with it because he didnt know how to disassemble it.

Also, I read somewhere else that this was a "design flaw" in the Tec-22 and that it would eventually start to malfunction like this. It was probably this same "design flaw" that made it so easy to illegally convert it to full auto. While searching for information on how to fix the problem, I kept finding instructions for sale on how to convert the Tec-22 to full auto!
Old July 13, 2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Superhouse 15

Parts

Throwing those old parts away is probably the safest thing. The Tec22s are great fun guns/ plinkers. Shame they have such a bad reputation.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
.351winchester

Quote:
I kept finding instructions for sale on how to convert the Tec-22 to full auto!
When you said it would fire again when the trigger released, reminded me of one out there, a auto double tap type mod that was made to sound legal.