The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2000, 08:44 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

I was given at the range today, what can only be guessed as a welcome gift.

Contents were;

500 unfired "Lake City" .308 cases
2000 pulled 150 gr. FMJ .308 also "Lake City" have been examining for pull marks and have only hammer mashed 3 so far! Probably been through half of them.

All of my reloading manuals I have thus aqquired give loads in commercial cases only. I am looking for a good combo for this "military brass". My Browning likes around 2600 F.P.S. I have already aqquired 1 lb. of IMR 4895, and 1 lb. of Winchester 748.

My question is this, how much do I back off to compensate for these "military cases". They are all of perfect length, and are quite shiney, with primer pockets ready for boxer primers.

My LEE manual says back off 2 grains, others say 7-10%.

My wife reluctantly let me get into this, I do not wish to blow my head off with my first, or any for that matter, batch!

Enlighten me please!

Total cost for this was, not to sound cheesy, but this is actually what it cost me, "A Coke and a smile ", also about 30 minutes of War stories and fable telling. The gentleman who gave them to me served in the Pacific during WWII. As with many Vets, he just seemed to want to pass along his stories. I being a WWII buff, greatly enjoyed the conversation, and was handily rewarded for my efforts.

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old June 26, 2000, 09:04 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Down 10% and work back up. What the heck, it's more range time! That's a good thing, right?

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old June 26, 2000, 10:08 PM   #3
beemerb

Cartridges of the world give the military loading for the 150 gr of 41.5 gr 4895 for 2750 fps.For 2600 I would think 39/39.5 gr.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old June 26, 2000, 10:58 PM   #4
DOCSpanky

Hodgdon & Speer list GI & I.M.I brass respectively, should these loads be considered to be in military and not commercial brass? If so I have found the awnser to my own problem in my handy dandy little LOADBOOK!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old June 27, 2000, 01:08 PM   #5
Paul B.

DOC. You should have no trouble using the starting loads and carefully working up to the level you want. I could give you my loads, but considering the difference in rifles, they might not work out in yours.
Paul B.