The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
sterno

Powders in short barrels

What powder would you reccomend to use in a short barreled (3") pistols? I'm looking to make target loads for my Makarov and I'm kinda confused as to weather I'd want to use a fast burning powder or a slow burn.

Does anyone have any load data for IMR powder in a mak?
Old April 18, 2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Reduced power loads for any barrel length are made using fast powders. Slow powders ignite poorly if they have to build pressure in a big empty space. In some cases detonation can occur. This was originally considered to be a problem only for slow rifle powders, but I have seen some reports of it in faster rifle powders. If true, then slow pistol powders are at risk of it, too.

I would recommend you look at something very quick for such a short barrel. Vihtavuori N310 is a good candidate. Tightwad is another. W231, Bullseye, and other standard target powders should work, too. Often you can get less recoil from a fast powder in a target load because it is consumed fast enough achieve bullet start pressure without requiring enough powder to reach a high velocity.

You didn't say which round your gun is chambered for? There is some 9x18 loading information here.

Vihtavuori has some data on the .380 ACP (9x17) that user N310, but I didn't find this cartridge in their on-line manual. It gave:

Bullet - Start Charge - Max Charge for N310
90 Hornady XTP - 2.6 -2.9
95 TMJ - 2.7 - 3.0
100 FMJ - 2.3 - 2.6

The online manual download includes some 7.62x25 reloading data.

This links to a burning rate chart. There are a number out there.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 18, 2006, 01:22 PM   #3
JJB2

load with bullseye for .357 mag and .38 spl loads... it seems to work great in my 6" model 27 for both loads............ always be sure to look into the cases after charging them to check for double loads tho... a double load of bullseye in the magnum loading could be catastrophic!
Old April 18, 2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Archie

Check the archives..

for this subject.

Also look at "The High Road" and search over there.

Essentially, the speed of powder to be used for any application is predicated on desired velocity and bullet weight. Barrel length has nothing to do with it.

Low speed rounds (for target or plinking) will utilize 'faster' powders very well.

Like I said, there's a lot of discussions on the subject of 'powder burn rate'. I trust you'll forgive me, but I just don't want to do all that typing again.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 18, 2006, 04:29 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

faster powder

light loads/short barrels; best are powders on the fast end of the burning rate. Bullseye, WW231, are two good ones.