The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 3, 2008, 02:15 PM   #26
21Bravo

Didn't Ruger revamp their tooling on the Mini line to make them more accurate within the past couple of years? I read a pretty good spread in a gun rag a couple of months ago regarding this. The article was about the changes they made to ensure a higher tolerences. Apparently, they change the barrel design. Also noticed the front sight is now protected by "rabbit ears" as opposed to the simple ramp front sight.

Anyone own one of these newer model Minis that has shot for groups? I like the Mini 14 handling characteristics but wouldn't own one simply due to the history of attrocious accuracy. If they are more accurate now I would entertain picking one up.

21Bravo aka
Craig P. in MO
Old July 3, 2008, 02:37 PM   #27
Socrates

My first time shooting I got to shoot two super match grade M1A's, two of the same, AR-15's, a Ruger Mini 14 as well.

The mini was so bad, it wasn't used after the first magazine.

The funny part was the guy that owned the guns was a master gunsmith. His 4 rifles, with open sites, shot under 2" all day, and, under an inch, if I did my part, as well.

If anyone could have got that gun to shoot, it was him, but, he never did. The Ar's were way more fun, if you wanted a low recoil round, and, were tack driving accurate as well.
Old July 3, 2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Ignition Override

Some experienced Mini owners claim that by shortening the barrel two inches, there is less flexing and the gun is a good bit more accurate, but that must be quite expensive.
Many add a strut to stiffen the standard barrel.

Lots of Mini owners read "Perfectunion.com". It also has forums for the SKS etc.
My bias is towards carbines and durability, being only a plinker.

Keeping our area safe from floating cantalopes and pumpkins (in October).
Only the fearless accept these 'one-way missions'.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:14 PM   #29
MCKNBRD

Yes, Ruger gutted their production line and retooled the whole thing. One of the major changes was barrel diameter...the -14 got a much thicker barrel, basically the same OD as the Mini-30s.

The worst thing that happened to the Mini-14 was the internet...many folks were perfectly happy with their truck rifle until the intarw3b came along and they realized that they were supposed to be unhappy with any rifle that cost more than $500 and shot more than 1/4" groups at 100 yards.

I love my -30...its a great brush gun for deer, but I don't shoot at deer over 125-150 yards with it, and the first hole goes within 2" of where I want it to, everytime. If I put 5 rounds through it, the groups are about 3" at 100yards...if I burn some ammo through it and try again, they open up to about 5moa.

There are a TON of quick and easy fixes for the 'patterning' problem that the early -14s had...best one was to hang a flash hider or muzzle brake on it. Usually tightens groups up by 50-70%. GunDoc does great work, and has MANY folks on www.perfectunion.com as VERY satisfied customers...I'll probably be one before long to get the trigger a little better, install smaller gas ports, and attach a Vortex flash suppressor on mine.

Byrdman
Old July 3, 2008, 03:47 PM   #30
ndking1126

Quote:
It always amuses me, to hear folks say that its money well spent (sometimes thousands of dollars) to pimp their AR, but a waste to spend a small amount on a Mini-14.
+1 for that!
Old July 3, 2008, 05:35 PM   #31
Spade Cooley

I'm also a Mini 14 Victim. I bought a Ranch Rifle and hung a nice Leopold scope on it. It shot 6 inch groups at a hundred yards and I got rid of it. When they make a rifle that is accurate out of the box, I'll buy another one.
Old July 3, 2008, 09:23 PM   #32
stormyone

Its always the new guys who revive a thread thats 9 years old.
Old July 3, 2008, 09:50 PM   #33
TPAW

Quote:
question: are there any fixes for this. can you make a mini-14 as accurate as say...AR-15.
Don't waste your money. Buy an AR.
Old July 5, 2008, 04:52 AM   #34
ziggy222

i read from i think handloader magazine the accuracy problem was from the end of the stock where the 4 bolts are.the metal plates the 4 bolts hold together are'nt usually a flush fit and they are working on fitting them better than ones in the past.i'm not to sure it could ever match an ar though.its also sensitive to bullet weight.
Old July 5, 2008, 10:29 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Socrates, I dunno what to tell you about any factory fix on the Mini. As I've said many times, I hardly ever shot more than three rounds from the bench. This group-size problem just never was an issue for me. For me as a hunter, the Mini was as good as my Bushie match-target. Well, better, actually; the Mini was a good bit lighter.

I don't have a Mini to look at, so I'm guessing: A skosh heavier on the barrel woudn't hurt the weight or the balance. Maybe go a bit smaller on the gas block and be sure it doesn't touch any wood. Set the front barrel band a tad looser?

Folks have posted that the flash-hider dealie that's held on by the front sight pin helps, so that means it dampens or changes the barrel vibrations. Aside from heat, then, there's a harmonics problem of some sort.

I guess I'm sorta empirical: If a gun does what I want, it's good; if it won't, I don't want it. So, if folks want tight groups, they hadn't oughta buy Minis. If they wanna kill a coyote, the Mini is as good as any other .223...

Art
Old July 19, 2008, 12:41 PM   #36
byfixit

Mini 14 Accurizing

Hi reposting my previous reply..... Was ready to trade my new mini 14 due to 5-8" groups at 100 yd, & chasing brass for 40'. Made a new port bushing with a .042" hole. Brass now at 8' with some eject trouble with 55gr light loads, but I've switched to 69 gr hpbt with 24 gr IMR 4895, & welded a flash hider to the sight body to reduce vibrations.
I'm no expert & my scope is only a Simmons, but now regularly get 1.25" groups at 100 yd. Don't know if I'll go for the bedding or barrel cut. Comments?
Old July 19, 2008, 01:45 PM   #37
NickySantoro

Bought my Mini in '89 to shoot minute of chest at 200 yards. At that time I didn't want an AR. My Army service was not a good time for me and I just didn't want one, but I wanted something to shoot past shotgun range. The Mini could shoot that minute of chest. After pulling the trigger assembly apart and polishing contact surfaces, it will shoot COM at 200 yards. It's my favorite woods gun now as when I meet hikers inadvertently trespassing on my land, it doesn't scare the crap out of them like my ARs (forty years later I've resolved some issues) have done.
All that being said, the Mini is a great rifle, and within its design parameters, superior to the AR. All THAT being said, my SHTF rifle is an AR.
Old July 19, 2008, 02:55 PM   #38
sc928porsche

Love my mini 30. It is accurate enough to do the job and I dont have to worry about it getting bounced around and damaged. I am not one who thinks that plastic is a sound foundation to build a firearm upon. Seen too much damage done to plastic in extreme situations.