The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
TimNelson

What did you buy during the current AWB buying frenzy?

Most of us agree that we have no idea what is going to happen over the next few months regarding gun control. I had been working on saving money (i.e. responsible spending habit) to buy my first AR for the past year or so and planned on buying right after Christmas with the money I was expecting and then the events at Newtown occured and moved up my buying time frame. It also changed by responsible spending habits too. So what has everyone purchased during the current hysteria? I will go first.

My budget was $1200...here is what I bought and spent.

Rock River Entry Tactical-$1950
5 30 round magazines-$200
500 rounds of ammo -$300

I spent just over twice what I was budgeting. Either an extremely bad decision or very wise money spent endeavor depending on the next few months. I hope extremely bad decision but was not willing to take that chance. So how about everyone else?
Old January 7, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

Just an M1A 20 rounder ($60), 2 AK74 30 rounders ($57), 300 rounds of .308 ($210), everything else had nothing to do with the GaGaGuns Freakout that is currently transpiring.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
wyobohunter

Nothing

It was all gone.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:22 PM   #4
tahunua001

sounds like you got hosed dude, sorry about that... I actually did alright compared to Obamascare2009...
Chinese SKS-$239(scare price value $500)
.270 bore brush-$2(scare price...well $2)
a lot better than 2009:
Century Wasr 10/63 w/canted sights+mag wobble-$800(actual retail value $300)
M76 ammo 1024 rounds-$230(actual retail value $180)

for the time it was horrible prices, now they don't sound all that bad nowadays.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
hodaka

Nothing. I will wait until this panic ends. I have plenty of ammo and components and can live without the M1A that I have promised myself. At least for another year. I already have plenty of other rifles and pistols.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #6
jim.greenesr

I bought a Big Mac and fries, be damned if I pay over inflated prices.
I have enough guns and ammo to last quite a while. Gone to sit back and see what happens. If it wasn't so sad it would be almost funny to see the prices some people were paying for firearms and ammo.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I bought an Hk MR556A1 and ammo the day of the shooting(before prices changed)but was already on my way to pick it and ammo up prior to it taking place. Since the panic. I traded a .308 Remington 700 SPS for a RRA 24" Predator with the EOP. I had to give $200 difference. My brother had it and wanted to trade me so I obliged.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 7, 2013, 06:42 PM   #8
saltydog452

Primers

Due to the Barry/Pelosi/DiFi and Atlantic left coast antics, I added another ctn of primers to my shopping cart.

salty
Old January 7, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

Haven't bought anything. I'd rather send $200 to the NRA-ILA than pay $2000 for a $1000 rifle. That way I'll still be able to buy the rifle for $1000 when prices come back down after the panic. Not only do I help RKBA; but I saved myself $800.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

20 rds of Hornady TAP .223 - $24
50 rds of Fiocchi Frangible Sinterfire .223 - $25

The fiocchi sucked, and the Hornady is for SD/HD so I didn't mind paying a few dollars extra because of the scare. The exorbitant prices has more to do with surplus ammo anyway.

I was pretty close to getting some silver bear though
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 7, 2013, 08:09 PM   #11
TimNelson

tahunua001...I completely agree I did get hosed, but I was caught without. It was the last item on my need to buy list as far as any firearms go and I was in the process of saving for it, such is life.
Roberts...Good to hear your giving money to the NRA-ILA. I forgot to mention I sent money to them as well and would encourage everyone else to do so too.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:42 PM   #12
kayakersteve

2 30 round ar mags for 30.00 each
Old January 7, 2013, 08:52 PM   #13
chris in va

Box of primers and two pounds of powder.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
RobertInIowa

Some .44 cal bullets, some powder and a brick of primers. Oh, and a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. I'm certainly not paying double price for an AR right now. Makes me wonder WHY all these people who didn't buy one before have pannicked and bought one at outragious prices.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:28 PM   #15
tgreening

If Alan Greenspan says....."If more people decrease down their spending it could lead to a slow down in the economy, a reduction of jobs, increased unemployment, and a potential recession", a significant number of people will get scared. And do what? Decrease their spending. Which leads to a slowdown in the economy, a reduction of jobs, increased unemployment, and the very recession they were worried about.

Quote:
Makes me wonder WHY all these people who didn't buy one before have pannicked and bought one at outragious prices.

IOW, these^^^^^^ kinds of people, people who do things based on fear of what "might" happen.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Stripeknight

Ya I bought a few things, however the boat ferry transporting my new toys suddenly capsized when the sunami hit.... I lost it all
Old January 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Ridge_Runner_5

200 .308 caliber bullets
100 9mm bullets
100 9mm casings
Case tumbler material
Old January 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Captains1911

I'd be embarrassed to admit that.

I bought nothing, I'm comfortable with what I have, and I refuse to pay over inflated prices.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:46 PM   #19
only1najeep

Almost got screwed by crazy buying!

I found myself with money in hand waiting on a day off to run down to my favorite GS when the prices hit the fan. I wanted a Glock 19 (my first Glock) but they were all gone, or so I thought. Fortunately since I frequent this store the employes know me, and I walked out with what I believe was the last Glock 19 in north Mississippi. Now I have to wait on mags to get back in stock!
NRA range safety officer
Old January 7, 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
UtopiaTexasG19

I started buying AR related equipment in earnest (Guns, Ammo & Re-loading Supplies) the first time Obama was elected. I finalized buying AR stuff by the second time Obama was elected. This last month and for years to come nothing.....
Old January 7, 2013, 10:13 PM   #21
CTS

I didn't buy anything in a panic. I bought 100 round of Hornady 6.8 Ammo just to add to my existing supplies. Got plenty of reloading supplies. I may build another .223 upper after the panic dies down so parts are available again. Thinking about a 20" varmint style upper to swap out with my 20" 6.8 upper.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM   #22
golfnutrlv

I bought 3 Pmags I didn;t really need, but got me to an even 30 magazines while my LGS still had them. No price increase!!

Bought 1000 small rifle primers, and some H335.

Bought about 640 pieces of .45 brass at the gun show this weekend for a good price, as my supply is a little in jeopardy. Especially with how fast .45 brass dries up.

I happen to think some of the profeteering is disgusting. Like the guy at the gun show who was asking $1300 for a bottom barrel Olympic arms basic AR...
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM   #23
uradaisyifudo

Got lucky and bought before the freakin' crazy prices, but did pick up a couple 20 round 308 mags and 2 15 round. 40 mags...wanted to do that anyhow and did not really get gouged except the 308 mags were FN, so I would have had to pay anyhow...
Old January 7, 2013, 10:27 PM   #24
baddarryl

A reloading kit.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:32 PM   #25
HILLBILLY-06

{QUOTE} Nothing. I will wait until this panic ends. I have plenty of ammo and components and can live without the M1A that I have promised myself. At least for another year. I already have plenty of other rifles and pistols.

Yeah, the beer's still cheap, & so is pop-corn and R&R. My vote goes out for don't buy none of that crap until it calms down. Don't support the foolishness, don't support the panic buyers/GB re-sales, and let the whole thing settle down. When you stop buying, they'll stop selling, the prices will become reasonable, or they just wont sell. "It aint up to them" it's up to us! it's my money, I earned it, so I aint gonna let them take it all till the prices get back on track. Untill then, R&R and read about the other people that spent thier hard earned money, for stuff that should have cost half as much.