The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 25, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Overhill

Sawed off shotgun

A good friend passed away and left me an old H&R shotgun that has an 18 " barrel and 28" overall. Do i have have any paperwork to keep this legally?
Old December 25, 2011, 01:20 PM   #2
SHNOMIDO

Youre going to want to confirm this with other sources, but I believe those are the exact requirements.
Old December 25, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
C0untZer0

This would be better in the NFA Guns & Gear section

Or the shotgun section, but I'll post this.

Measure with a rod down the barrel from the bolt face when the bolt is closed. You want to be absolutely sure of the measurement - there are no gimmies, if you're short by 1/32" you're in serious trouble.

You are OK with OAL because the smallest allowable is 26" and you're 28 - although I'd double check that too if I were you.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5320-8.pdf

Last edited by C0untZer0; December 25, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:55 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Those dimensions meet the Federal requirements.

Check YOUR STATE LAWS carefully! They can be different! One state I know has a 20" minimum for barrels, unless the original factory made barrel was shorter.

its foolish, but its the law. If it came from the factory with an 18", its fine, and legal. If someone (including a licensed gunsmith) cut down a longer barrel, 20" is the legal minimum.

Check the laws where you live, its important!
Old December 26, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Overhill

Than, the chamber (forcing cone) is included in min. barrel measurment? That leaves me with a problem if it is.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhill
Than, the chamber (forcing cone) is included in min. barrel measurment? That leaves me with a problem if it is.
The measurement is from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel. Google 5320.8 for the NFA Handbook published by the BATF.
Old December 26, 2011, 08:15 PM   #7
C0untZer0

Unloaded, empty shotgun...

Bolt CLOSED...

With the barrel pointed straight up in the air, take a rod and drop it down the barrel, allow the rod to rest on top of the closed bolt.

If 18" or more of the rod protrudes from the barrel, your shot gun barrel is legal (as far as the Federal regulations are concerned).

If less than 18" of the rod protrudes from the barrel, (even by 1/32" your shot gun may be an NFA weapon or AOW.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Overhill

When measured properly this barrel is approx. 1/16 short. If i was to tap the barrel and install an extended choke tube, would it be legal. i have looked at all the data i could find and this (tube) is not mentioned, I would even be willing to solder the tube in as i would have no desire to change it. Any thoughts?
Old January 12, 2012, 05:09 PM   #9
MLeake

Is there an age at which this shotgun could have been grandfathered? Depending on how old the shotgun is? I could find no indication that the 1934 NFA allowed any kind of grandfathering, so my guess is No.

If not, page 5 in the atf publication linked by C0untZer0 defines the approved methods for adding length to meet minimum requirements.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Technosavant

Quote:
If i was to tap the barrel and install an extended choke tube, would it be legal. i have looked at all the data i could find and this (tube) is not mentioned, I would even be willing to solder the tube in as i would have no desire to change it. Any thoughts?
It would have to be permanently attached. Just screwing on wouldn't do it.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:23 PM   #11
MLeake

One of the approved methods was silver soldering, at 1100F or hotter.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:30 PM   #12
oneounceload

Since your name area says NJ, you might want to investigate those laws as well before going to any great lengths about anything.
Old January 13, 2012, 04:33 AM   #13
natman

I know what you meant, but it's not what you said:

Quote:
Unloaded, empty shotgun...

Bolt CLOSED...

With the barrel pointed straight up in the air, take a rod and drop it down the barrel, allow the rod to rest on top of the closed bolt.

If 18" or more of the rod protrudes from the barrel, your shot gun barrel is legal (as far as the Federal regulations are concerned).

If less than 18" of the rod protrudes from the barrel, (even by 1/32" your shot gun may be an NFA weapon or AOW.
The critical measurement is how much of the rod is covered by the barrel. How much protrudes from the barrel is irrelevant.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

COCK THE GUN!!! Firing pin could be protruding 1/16th beyond bolt face...

Brent
Old January 13, 2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Overhill

COCK THE GUN!!! Firing pin could be protruding 1/16th beyond bolt face...
Haha. now if i can make sure that they center the measuring rod on the firing pin, i am legal.

Last edited by Overhill; January 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 14, 2012, 01:06 PM   #16
war_elephant

I would still get rid of it, not worth the trouble it can cause in today's legal climate. At least buy a replacement barrel from Numerich Arms or H & R. For a single barrel shotgun, not worth the legal defense fees to prove it was ok. 1/16 of an inch is not worth 10 years. My .02. Being in NJ, No one will take the time to do what is right at the prosecutor's office. Remember Brian Atken, did everything right, legal, still ended up in prison. Still a convicted felon who cannot own or posess firearms untill the conviction is set aside. Is 1/16 either way worth it? Not in NJ.

Last edited by war_elephant; January 14, 2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added wording