The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 6, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Crazy Clay

Colt 1851 2nd Gen Flasks?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I've learned a lot from reading here. Thank you.

My first question. I am thinking of buying a Colt 1851 powder flask 2nd Generation to go with my pistol. What should I look for to determine that it is an authentic 2nd Generation? I think I read here that there are 3 different ones that are correct. Of course, the flask will read Colts Patent, but should it also read Made in USA or anything else or nothing else?

Thank you. Steve
Old September 6, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Howdy Clay,

It's too much info to type - or I'm just too lazy to type it. Here is a scan out of Dennis Russell's 2009 book on the 2nd gens.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 6, 2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Crazy Clay

Great information. Thank you very much.

Clay
Old September 7, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

W5046 flask.

W5047 flask

W5047 with Pewter finish.

There are counterfeit 2nd and 3rd gen flasks around. A bunch of third gen flask packaging went out the back door when they closed down. Who knows what got put in them.
Old September 7, 2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Crazy Clay

Thank you for the pictures. Much appreciated. This is a great forum. I have shot my BP rifle on and off for years, but I have just recently started with BP handguns. I am shooting both a single shot pistol and a Colt 1851 revolver. A great "new" approach to the shooting hobby.

Clay
Old September 10, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
ZVP

Flasks Cost!

When ya think about it, aside from the artwork that went into the Flask, there is a LOT of skill required to build one! Just the precision shaping and soldering to make them leak-proof and then the building of the leak-proof valve and spout took a bit of skill and time to accomplish!
I paid $34 for my meduim sized Colt reproduction which was a pretty good price. At the time I thought it was high but now that I really think about it, the skill level of work was worth paying that little for.
In this day of cheap Chinese plastic junk, it's hard to justify paying a little more for quality but when it comes to my BP guns I try and not mind the costs.I think I got a really good deal now!
ZVP