The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Dana C

Mossberg Silver Reserve 20 guage

I just put a Silver Reserve, 20 guage, used on layaway. I sold a Winchester Model 25 in 20 guage which I loved. Times were tough and I needed the $$.
I would love to hear everyones thoughts and experiences on this shot gun. It seems like a good value.
Thanks,
Dana
Old June 23, 2011, 07:20 AM   #2
maierar

Mossberg 20

You will get plenty of opinions, both negative and positive about this gun. The earlier ones did have problems, and there is a general snobbery against them (and all Turkish shotguns) in the shotgun community. Most of the comments will come from people who never shot one, or who never owned one.
That said, I have had one for 3 years now and it has functioned flawlessly. It shoots to point of aim, feels good in the hand, and didn't cost a fortune.
Keep in mind that it is a field gun, so if you intend to use it as a sporting gun (as I do) some mods are necessary (which I made). These weren't too expensive and I now have a dedicated 20 gauge skeet gun which has stood up well to the rigors of skeet (far more shots/outing than a day of bird hunting).
If you intend to use this as a sporting gun, PM me and I'll show you what mods I did on mine.
Old September 5, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
RCPractitioner

I bought a BNIB 12 guage silver reserve O/U at the Dallas Market Hall gun show last month for $340. The dealer had a bunch of them for that price and explained to me that they were BNIB but were former display guns and what not so couldn't be sold as BNIB even though they were. Took it out dove hunting on the 1st and I like it so much I took it out hunting again on the 3rd.

Old September 6, 2011, 01:01 AM   #4
tahoe2

pre Reserve

I have a Kahn "Arthemis Supreme" which is the same gun before Mossberg started to import them. Mine is in 12 ga, I have had it for about 5 years, don't remember the price, probably around 400-500 bucks. I can say that I've put over 3000 rounds through it and it seems to be holding up pretty good so far. I've been shooting trap, & 5 station, at my local range, plus some upland birds (Grouse & Pheasant). I installed a custom adjustable butt pad and some knurled extended choke tubes(Light mod, Light full, Xtra full). Until I can afford a really good one (Beretta, Browning, etc...) this will have to do, but I'm happy with it, I'm sure you will be with happy with yours too. Good Luck !! the one on tophandguns 013.jpg