The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Miata Mike

.40 S&W & Berry's 155 grain HBRN bullets

I have been loading Hornady XTP with Unique at 6.0 grains with good results so far. I picked up some Berry's hollow base round nose 155 grain bullets and was wondering if the hollow base will tone down the same 6.0 grains of Unique due to the increased case capacity?

Does anyone have any experience with this Berry's bullet and Unique or Bullseye? Thanks!
Old March 23, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Berry's MfG

I shoot those bullets quite a lot in both my .40 and 10mm. I use Titegroup and Universal Clays, and use a mid-range jacketed load with great results. Just start with a mid-range load and be careful not to overcrimp.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Miata Mike

Thank you Jay.

I'm sure I would be fine with 6.0 grains Unique as a start. That is what I shoot my XTP bullets at and my Lee manual lists 155 lead bullet to start at 6.2 and max at 6.5 for a compressed charge. I thought 6.2 to 6.5 was too snappy for my jacketed loads, so I reduced to 6.0.

Is my thought that the hollow base bullets will increase the case capacity and further lower the pressure? And if so, how much difference might a person actually see? Thanks!
Old March 23, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Berry's MfG

The basis behind the original hollow base design was in a dead soft lead projectile that allowed the the skirt of the hollow base to obutrate in the chamber making a better gas seal. With our plated version that is not the reason behind the HB. We initially took the idea to a .45 230gr RN bullet, making it a 185gr bullet by putting a hollow base in the 230gr. This gave us a longer bearing surface to be in contact with the lands and grooves. This helps stabilize the bullet in the short lengths found in pistols. So to answer your question the HB can add powder capacity, but would be negligible. As far as pressure, my guess it might be increased due to the fact that the bullet has more surface contact with the barrel. Also the gas expanding in the hollow base will obutrate (expand) the bullet a small amount, it has too. This will also add pressures.