The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Cascade1911

.45 WWB & .45 AE, Reverse Engineer?

I'm looking for info on Winchester white box and Federal American Eagle .45 auto 230 FMJ RN. Any data (powder type and charge, velocity, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks all
Old March 19, 2011, 09:37 AM   #2
zplinker

230 RN Data

bullet Pow. wt. fps st. dev.

225 RN BE 4.9 841 3

This has been a good load to duplicate factory 'hardball' ammo; bullet was cast, w-w brass, WLP primer. Any change of components will vary the result, but you will be in the ball park.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Sevens

If you are looking to duplicate the performance or feel of a factory load, that's one thing. If you are looking for the actual load data and powder choice for a factory load, that's proprietary information that the ammo companies will likely not divulge.

They often use large lots of powder that you can't even get and they adjust the charge weight often to reflect the ever evolving burn rate of the powder they use. They build loads to satisfy a pressure goal -- they do not build ammo to a set charge powder and charge weight.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Cascade1911

Don't know that I want to duplicate the load. More interested in where it is in relation to my hand loads.

I find it interesting that Federal is claiming 890 fps for the AE while CCI and Winchester are talking velocity in the 830's. What are you all clocking? Don't have a chronograph myself.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
overkill0084

Sounds like it's close to time for a chronograph.
I have one and I don't use it much. I am more worried about function and accuracy. Velocity, nice to know, but not necessary most of the time.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 20, 2011, 05:03 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

I can claim anything

It's what I can prove, repeatedly, during testing, that matters.

"Unless you test you guess"
Old March 20, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Federal is claiming 890 fps for the AE while CCI and Winchester are talking velocity in the 830's.
50-60 fps isn't much of a difference. Just the change in bullets could produce that discrepancy (not to mention, CCI is using different cases and primers). And... their test weapon/barrel could account for the difference, as well.

You'll never know where your loads stand, until you shoot some across a chronograph. (Or into one, if you go old school.)
Old March 20, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
PawPaw

Quote:
You'll never know where your loads stand, until you shoot some across a chronograph. (Or into one, if you go old school.)
There are only two types of chronograph owners. Those who have shot their chronograph, and those who will shoot their chronograph.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 21, 2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Cascade1911

Yeah, Chrony time, I ordered the F-1 from Wally World. Figured I'd see what I like and don't like and then move up after I shoot this one.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:52 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
There are only two types of chronograph owners. Those who have shot their chronograph, and those who will shoot their chronograph
I believe that to be true.

...but I was referring to an old pendulum-style chronograph.
(I know they're generally referred to with a different term, but can't remember it.)
Old March 21, 2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

It's a ballistic pendulum. It reads out in degrees of swing. You use the cosine of that angle with the length of the pendulum to show how high the pendulum mass+bullet mass was raised, and from that you calculate the momentum required to move it that high against gravity. You then divide the that momentum by the mass of the bullet alone, and you arrive at your deduced velocity.

The term "chronograph" just literally means visual time drawing or graph or plot. The old Bashforth chronograph traced a line on chart paper on a constant speed drum while the projectile was passing between two breakwires, so you got a line on the paper whose length was proportional to elapsed time. At the breaking of a start wire, the Boulangé chronograph dropped a zinc rod that had been marked at its start position by a spring-loaded edged striker, then struck it again when the second wire broke. The space between the marks was then proportional to the exponent of elapsed time. The marks constituted another form of graphical representation of time. Needless to say, both systems were a pain to calibrate and responded slowly, so the wires had to be pretty far apart. The results were not precise, so many firings had to be averaged to get a good result.

When digital electronic instruments appeared, displays went from graphics to numerical representations of time. This was more a ballistic chronometer (time meter) than a ballistic chronograph. Later, the electronics became sophisticated enough to directly calculate and display a speed from the time and screen spacing information. That is what today is sold as a "chronograph", but it would more accurately be referred to as a ballistic speedometer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 21, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo fixes