The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
casher824

New Glock advice

Hello everyone. This will be my first post and I unfortunately have to start my time here asking for some help. I'm receiving my first gun soon from my father, his Glock 27 .40 and would like some advice. Please don't let this devolve into one of those threads that bashes Glock or suggests that I sell the 27 and trade it for a 26 as that will definitely not happen.

1. Which is the best night sight in your opinion, Trijicon, Meprolight, or Glock factory night sights? I've heard that the Glock factory sights are made by Meprolight on this forum but have also heard they're made by Trijicon. I've also read on this forum that the white dots on the Trjicon night sights come off so your experience with any of these sights would be appreciated. I would like a night sight with the white dots on it for range shooting obviously.

2. What's a good self defense round in .40? I've seen a few threads about 9mm but not too many on .40

3. Good plinking round in .40. I'm looking for something that is relatively inexpensive but a little better quality than the Winchester white box ammo from Wal Mart.

4. Any recommendations for a Glock parts retailer. I've been looking at Glockmeister, has anyone bought from them before.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
IdahoG36

1- I prefer Meprolights myself. They also make the factory Glock night sights. They are very bright and easy to pick up. I have a set on my Glock 22.

2- I usually carry either Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger 155gr jhp in my .40 carry weapons.

3- Can't beat good ol' WWB for plinking ammo. American Eagle is also pretty decent stuff.

4- I buy a lot of my Glock parts from Brownells. They have a pretty large selection. Lone Wolf isn't bad either.

These are my answers to your questions based on my experience. Hope they help.
Congrats on your new gun. Being that it is a Glock, use common sense and practice proper gun safety. There are no external safeties. Become familiar with your Glock, and if you eventually decide to carry it, make sure you get a good holster.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
B18C5-EH2

I just took my Glock 39 to the range yesterday (baby Glock frame with same dimensions as your 27, but chambered in .45 GAP) and my 39 has Trijicons on it. I bought the gun in like-new, but used condition and it already had the Trijicons.

I had no problems shooting at the well-lit indoor range. My Trijicons do have a small white ring around the tritium, but nothing outstanding.

Honestly I'd probably go with whichever ones are cheaper as I've seen good reviews for both Trijicon and Meprolights.

BTW:

Do you have a pinky extension on any magazines you're getting with the pistol?

I'd look into the Pearce Grip extension for at least one magazine.

Click Here for +2 PG39 Grip Extension

Here's the PG39 on my Glock 39 - it will look identical on your 27:

Look is 100% factory looking as the grip extension matches the finger grooves on the grip perfectly:

[img][/img]

Pearce Grip also offers a smaller extension that adds no capacity, but still sufficient pinky gripping surface:

This would give you a little more to hold onto. I don't have large hands, but you'd have to have tiny hands for your pinky to not dangle off of a baby Glock frame. In my opinion I love the extra control and the +1 (for the .45 GAP it's only +1) capacity. I carry while at work ISWB and the extension doesn't print or add any noticable difference when carrying.

As far as rounds go it's like asking what engine oil to use in your car - ask 10 different people, get likely 8-9 different answers. Hopefully very few of us can attest to defense rounds damages from having shot someone, but there are some top picks amongst the masses.

Personally I carry Federal Hydrashocks. I've got some Speer Gold Dot as well. I got a killer deal on 250 rounds of Gold Dot for $79.00 locally so I actually went "plinking" with it yesterday and it works great in terms of accuracy.

I've also plinked with Winchester White box plenty of times too on other calibers. Works perfectly, and it's cheap and readily available. I think you'll find .40 S&W easier to find than 9mm when it comes to name brand FMJ stuff.

Right now my local Dick's has the 250 round Remington UMC for $99.00 on .40 cal. I'm sure others can chime in with better deals, but you can ride over to Dicks's and buy it right now, and it's not some iffy reload stuff.

My other advice is just to get out and shoot. It took me about 300 rounds or so before I was really comfortable shooting my baby Glock, as in aiming quickly, having pretty tight groups, dropping a mag, reloading a mag quickly, then popping off another tight group, etc.

Congrats on the Glock BTW. Glock has it's diehard "fanboys" and it's detractors, but no matter what opinions people may have it doesn't change Glock's reputation for reliability. Besides you can't beat FREE now can you?

Old January 31, 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
casher824

Free is awesome. My father is replacing the Glock with a Mossberg 590 as his home defense gun so decided to give it to me. I've shot it a few times and am pretty comfortable firing it. He does have a Pearce extension on it but only one magazine for it so buying more mags are definitely my first priority. He claims he received it brand new with only one mag. Has anybody heard of this? Thanks for the responses, please keep it going
Old January 31, 2010, 08:00 PM   #5
B18C5-EH2

Glocks are supposed to be sold as a "Glock Pistol Set" (<--- clickable link) but not every retailer does that. Sometimes they'll take a magazine out for display, sell it with another pistol to a "buddy" etc.

I have three Glock magazines that are genuine Glock. I paid $30.00 with tax for the third magazine (my pistol came with two) locally but they can probably be had cheaper online. I've never tried an aftermarket magazine although after firing 230 rounds yesterday with only three 7 round magazines I may invest in one of those crazy long korean-made knock off mags just for firing range use.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
AK103K

I tried the Pierce extensions on my 26, and was getting constantly pinched by them, both shooting and reloading, so I took them back off. The best extension I've found so far, has been a 17 or 18 mag. I usually use my 17's mags for the reload in the 26. The 30+ round 18 mag may look funny, but boy does it tame down the recoil and make the 26 a shooter.

You cant beat the price of the 100 round WWB Value Packs at Walmart for blasting ammo.

I have factory Glock night sights on all but my 31, which I replaced the Trijicons that were on it with Meprolights. Dont know who makes the Glock sights, but other than the Glock logo, they look very much like the Mepro's I put on the 31.

I usually use Top Gun Supply for parts for both my SIG's and Glocks. CDNN will have real good prces on mags from time to time.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:44 AM   #7
casher824

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all the responses. Does anybody else have anything to add? What is your opinion on Ameriglo sights? Are they of equal or lower quality to the Trijicon and Meprolights?

Last edited by casher824; February 1, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:28 AM   #8
bakon

Our duty G23's have trijicon sights. Pretty good and durable. Only one burned out on 40 guns in 20 years. They stay in place when bumped daily. Cant respond to other sights. On my off duty G27 I have never put night sights. Two reasons- night sights need some light to find what you are aiming at. Without some light you can see the sights but not put them on anything. We night shot every so often and it is much harder than just aiming the night sights. Flashlight control, illumination, back light, blinding your own night vision. I find I would want a fllashlight or a gun light. A cheap one is fine. As long as it secures to the rail. I use a Safariland RLS which can be put on and off in seconds and uses AAA batteries, which a cheap. Also can be used as flashlight without gun.
If its so dark I need night sights, I would prefer to only fire closer, meaning I doubt sights will be as important as point aiming. Hits on moving targets, in the dark, at 25+yards, are for the movies. The FBI stats say most gun fights are 10 yrds or closer.

Duty rounds- was hydroshocks, now gold dot.
Practice- winchester or American.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:36 AM   #9
jtc2162

165 grain speer gold dots.

Mine chrono at 1185fps. Plenty of energy there.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Graham88

Congratulations!! And hope to see a few shots of your new sidearm!!
Old February 1, 2010, 12:23 PM   #11
casher824

@ bakon - I do like the idea of a light but the 27 does not have any rails making any of the few options there are out there pretty undesirable. How were you able to secure it to yours or are you talking about your 23?
Old February 1, 2010, 09:43 PM   #12
casher824

Bump. Anyone got anything else to add? I'd appreciate any input
Old February 1, 2010, 09:50 PM   #13
pacerdude

I would look into the Speer Gold Dot personal protection bullets for "short barrel guns". I use the 180 grain ones in my M&P40.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:23 AM   #14
DonutGuy

1. trijicons

2. Federal HST, Ranger T or Gold Dots

3. Federal American Eagle

4. Not sure, but there is a ton of them.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:34 PM   #15
bakon

Light goes on my 23 for work, even though it has night sights. 27 is a bug or off duty gun. handheld light flashlight or the monster 6v if I need to go look in the yard. Just keep a flashlight near the gun so you know what your pointing at.

Tags
.40 , glock , meprolight , night sights , trijicon