The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Jeremy Hyslip

Grooved primers/feed problems

I have a Taurus PT 145 that is making grooves in the primer instead of a nice dimple. It is also having feed problems where it will either fail to feed completely, or it will catch the brass but the bullet will be tweaked down in the mag a tiny bit. I've only used factory ammo so far, and it does the same with Winchester, Magtech, and Federal. I never noticed the primers before it started it's feeding problems, so I am not sure if it was doing so before or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I might have to take it to a smith.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

problem

Sir;
The groove in the primer is from the pistol unlocking while the pin is still in the primer. Several high pressure cartridges do this - they usually run in the 33,000 cup range. The feeding problem will be either the magazine or you need a "reliability package."
The "groove" in the primer can also be caused by several other problems too - too numerous to mention without seeing the pistol.
Has anybody done any spring changes or other work?
Harry B.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:05 AM   #3
Jeremy Hyslip

I pulled the mags apart and cleaned them, it seemed to help a little at least. what's the "reliability package"? Sell it and buy a Sig? hehe

As far as I know there hasn't been any spring work done to it. I bought it used, but it's still pretty new so I rather doubt it's been messed with any. Maybe I'll try some 185-200 grain rounds and see if those are any different than the 230's I've been using.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Harry Bonar

reliability package

Sir;
A "reliability package" is just the name gunsmiths give for:
Polishing feed ramp and creating a "rollover at bottom of chamber." Polishing the chamber with a "bone wheel" and felt polishing bob and Brownells 555 polish (leaves it mirror smooth) - checking and creating correct tension on it and removing sharp edges and bevel the entry, checking breech face and bevel firing pin hole, check firing pin and recoil spring and anything else that smooths out feeding.
I'm sure you will benefit from this - most factory pistols need this although some feed flawlessly - an enigma of the pistol!
Different pistols need various things.
Harry B.