The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 10, 2005, 03:26 PM   #26
pax

Quote:
To me, its funny reading about someone taking a gun to the shower, or on dates, but I know it serious to that person so I'm trying to be more understanding.
PythonGuy ~

Good post. Let me try to find some common ground.

I know what you mean about some posts being funny. You're amused by folks who carry everywhere. I'm bemused when I see threads with titles like, "Do you carry to a friend's house?" "Do you carry at home?" "Do you carry to work?" "Do you carry at church?" etc ad infinitum.

The reason those threads amuse me is because, well, I carry. And I go places and do things. I don't carry "to a friend's house," or "to church" or "at home" -- I simply carry, wherever I might be. My default setting is to carry and if I'm not carrying it is because I made a deliberate decision not to do so right then. The reason I carry is never because I think whatever I'm doing is particularly dangerous; if I think something is particularly dangerous, I simply don't do it (or at least I find a way to do it more safely -- such as during the day instead of at night, or with a friend instead of alone). So all the angst about whether carry is appropriate in a particular venue just leaves me bemused.

A lot of people do the exact opposite. They go places and do things, but their default setting is to leave the gun locked up at home. If they carry at all, it's because they made a conscious decision to carry that day -- generally because they thought they were doing something particularly dangerous. I don't do it that way simply because my crystal ball has never been very good and I've noticed that bad things generally happen to me when I'm not expecting it. If other folks have noticed that bad things happen to them only when they are expecting it and prepared for it, who am I to argue? It's their lives.

I just wish they could refrain from insulting me for my choices, in the same way I refrain from insulting them for their choices.

pax
Old October 10, 2005, 03:31 PM   #27
blackmind

Just because someone posted about statistics, why did a bunch of people jump off into believing that we all carry simply because we read a statistic somewhere about how likely we are to get mugged or home-invaded?

I carry because I recognize potential.

I do what I can to minimize my risk, but since I realize it cannot be 100% eliminated, I carry to be prepared if my effort at avoidance of trouble is insufficient to keep me out of it. And of course, there is always the potential for trouble to swim upstream to me.

Some here seem to have started with a false premise, that we carry strictly because we are locked on, mentally, to the statistics we've read. That's incorrect, right from the get-go. Who are you (any of you) to say that anyone else here has not done actual considering, before deciding to carry a gun -- even if it's in the bathroom?

-blackmind
Old October 10, 2005, 03:36 PM   #28
blackmind

Good post, Pax.

Taking it a step further,
you mention that you avoid situations where you feel that it would be dangerous to venture forth. This is the discretion of the wise gun owner.

You contrast with people whose default mode is to NOT carry, and that sometimes they strap on because they're going to where they think it's dangerous and having the gun may become necessary.

They're in the wrong right there: the first thing one should do if one finds oneself thinking that they're walking into a shooting situation is to walk right back out! Don't even go!

So the guy who doesn't usually carry, but does carry when he feels he's heading into danger is using his instincts to sense danger and then making the counterintuitive decision to proceed ...

and he's doing what we all acknowledge is wrong, i.e. he's letting his gun make him feel invincible.

But he'll criticize us because we carry all the time.

-blackmind
Old October 10, 2005, 03:39 PM   #29
spacemanspiff

Quote:
Just because someone posted about statistics, why did a bunch of people jump off into believing that we all carry simply because we read a statistic somewhere about how likely we are to get mugged or home-invaded?
i'm more inclined to believe the Brady-ites reason for my carrying: compensating for my inadequacy as a human being.
Old October 10, 2005, 03:40 PM   #30
blackmind

As a human being, I am woefully inadequate to deal bare-handed with four guys armed with bats and knives,
so I guess the Brady-ites are right.

-blackmind
Old October 10, 2005, 03:47 PM   #31
sm

pax,
I agree.

What you do - how raised

I have always carried on person and/or always had a firearm "handy". This all before .state "said" there was mininum age, or even made availble pieces of paper that said you could. I stopped an immediate threat before I was a teenager.

Perhaps with later years, folks being born after a certain decade, Media, Politics or whatever - these inalienable rights - like carrying all the time were not part / not "allowed" in some jurisdictions.

Only after reaching "legal ages" and getting "permission papers" as "dictated" by .state is the reason we have the Awareness, or Taking of Personal Responsiblity by folks...something many folks naturally grew up doing.

Sometimes it takes hitting bottom, being a victim, or knowing a victim. Perhaps the .gov "failed" to come to rescue fast enough. Reality hits, Awareness kicks in , and slapping of foreheads..."oh my goodness!"

Brainwash the masses - .gov is gonna take care of them, that the Boogey Man is never gonna hurt you, and if for some strange reason the Boogey Man does show up, use 911 and depend on .gov to save you.
Old October 10, 2005, 04:54 PM   #32
Sulaco2

Humm, me thinks that to the each person violently attacked and or killed the "stats" are 100%.
Old October 10, 2005, 05:42 PM   #33
sendec

I'd like a straight cite for those figures as they sound more like the rate for property crime, not violent crime, which is at its lowest point since the early 70's. Violence is still a young person's sport, and will further decline as the population gets collectively older. It is also far more likely that you will be victimized by someone you know, versus as stranger.

Carrying a gun doesnt contribute to safety. Leading a safe lifestyle does, and that may include carrying a gun. Believe it or not, a person can be objectively and subjectively safe without a gun. it just doesnt fit in our collective millieu to believe that. To an extent we feed off of violence, as it serves to rationalize our love of guns. Zombie attacks, anyone?
Old October 10, 2005, 05:46 PM   #34
Wildalaska

Quote:
Believe it or not, a person can be objectively and subjectively safe without a gun
Depenmds on what world one lives in I reckon

WildmyworldissafehowboutyoursAlaska
Old October 10, 2005, 06:12 PM   #35
PythonGuy

Pax, that was perfectly put and if all the posts read like that I'm sure no one would even blink at gun ownership. I guess the point I'd like to make is, the person should be wearing the gun, not the gun wearing a person. We should all be such a good example of responsible gun ownership and use as your post shows you are.
Old October 10, 2005, 06:46 PM   #36
gddyup

Pax - Right on guy. Keep up the good work!

But, you gotta toss out that crystal ball... they stink!

You need one of these....

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old October 11, 2005, 06:23 AM   #37
Derius_T

Pax, +1 to post #15. Well said.

And gddyup wrote:

Quote:
Some don't feel safe unless they are carrying a full-size .45 IWB, a .45 compact on the ankle, a .32 NAA Guardian pocket, a 6" bowie small-of-back, while walking with a 2oz can of Fox OC in hand for getting the mail.
WHAT MAN!? YOU WATCHIN ME CHECK MY MAIL!?
Old October 11, 2005, 06:41 AM   #38
jcoiii

Just remember

"It's not paranoia if it happens"

(Of course, two month ago some were called paranoid for having thought out a bug out plan in case of natural disaster)

I do not aim with my hand.......