The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 05:25 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

After having Hans Vang Comp and port my 870's 18" Cyl barrel the results with Federal 2-3/4" 00 Low recoil Tactical Buck are as follows:
( Groups measured center to center of the holes farthest apart )

7 yards Just under 1.5 inches

10 yards just under 3.5 inches

15 yards 4-3/4 inches

I also found that Federal #8 2-3/4" target load patterned at less than 1/4 the pre VangComp pattern size! VERY impressive. Both recoil and muzzle rise were considerably decreased as well.

How does this compare with you other VangCompers out there?

Cheers,

Ben
Old January 31, 2000, 08:49 PM   #2
fubsy

Sounds like you got what you wanted.....what did he charge and could you send just the barrel?,...fubsy.
Old February 1, 2000, 12:42 AM   #3
Kilroy

This type of performance is exactly what I have come to expect from my personal Vang Comp 870, as well as all of my department's shotguns. My agency certainly has bragging rights on the best performing shotguns in our region, thanks to Hans Vang and his modifications. We use Federal Tactical buckshot and Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. Qualifications and demonstrations have resulted in enthusiastic users of these shotguns.

I have no stake in the company, but certainly endorse a truly functional, yet simple improvement to the 12 gauge shotgun.

Kilroy...
...was here
Old February 1, 2000, 01:34 AM   #4
Bennett Richards

Hans charged me $195.00 for the whole ball of wax...

Ben
Old February 1, 2000, 07:52 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Never fired a Vang, and I try to keep an open mind, Bennett. But I wonder how much this is needed. I doubt it is ,tho it does sound right nice.And I'm NOT dumping on your or Vang.

For comparison, my HD, no choke 870 with the forcing cone job and firing my old duty load, Winchester standard 00,goes about 5-10" at 15 yards,20-24" at 25.Fitting that bbl with an IC choke tube and some judicious ammo choices should bring the groups down close to what you're getting.

As for the recoil reduction, this one comes in at 9 lbs or so. Kick's not a big problem.
And FYI, Remington Cyl bbls have a few points of constriction. Patterns get rounder even with just 2 or 3 points.
Old February 3, 2000, 03:28 AM   #6
oberkommando

Ben sounds about Par for course. Same as my first and my buddies vangs.
Advantage to port is less rise and faster secondary target accusition (keeps the sight picture clean). Would do it again in a NYM, but then again I envision targets out to 50yards and all the pellets on. Have seen this done with vang comp, have not seen it done by factory remington with whatever choke choice or combo.
Many PD'S have had their guns done by vang so someone incharge of that decision must have thought it helpfull. Maybe keeping all the pellets on the BG if possible instead of having them flying past BG and into who knows what.