The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Kwik2010

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Problem

I recently purchased the above named handgun and posted about it a while ago. Since then I had an issue that caused me to send it in for warranty repair. When inserting a magazine in any fashion other than "gingerly" the slide would release and the first round in the magazine would either nose dive or stove pipe.

I contacted CZ and they sent me a warranty return authorization. After a couple weeks it was returned to me with the following note "Adjusted breech face lead in and extractor. Auto-forwarding is a feature of the pistol. Test fire good with no malfunctions." I pulled the firearm out of the case and went to do my routine safety check only to realize I can't rack the slide.

The hammer is full on stuck in the decocked position. I can line up the witness marks and remove the slide but the hammer will not budge more than an 1/8" with pulling of the trigger or thumb pressure. Has anyone else ever had an issue with this and have a fix?

It hasn't been back in my hands for much more than about 5 minutes and if I can avoid sending it in again I'd really like to. But if that is what is necessary that's what I'll do. I sent CZ another email and am awaiting their reply. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:46 PM   #2
5whiskey

That has me stumped. I would do a full takedown and reassembly (take trigger mechanism out of the frame), see if that fixes it. If it doesn't it should at least help identify the problem.

FWIW, the original complaint that caused you to send it back to CZ is common amongst many pistols. Most shooters prefer this feature. I do. I'm disappointed with a pistol if moderate force when seating a mag doesn't jar the slide stop down and send the slide home.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 21, 2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Kwik2010

Oh I wasn't upset that the slide would release. My several glocks all do it. What upset me was that the first round would jam while doing so and it happened with every magazine I have including the factory mags and Mec Gar mags. Had it chambered correctly when self releasing it would have been a non issue. But thank you for the insight. Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with cz firearms. I'll probably give it a shot if cz doesn't give me a quick answer. Or take it to a gunsmith if I'm not totally comfortable with it.
Old March 21, 2018, 10:07 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I'm going to be the person to say if CZ sent it back to you in that state it's on them to fix it, not you. I've done my fair share of full disassemblies on CZs. It certainly can be done, but I'd rather the factory do it in this case as if another issue presents itself the argument can't be made that it's on you because you botched a disassembly.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 21, 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old March 21, 2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Kwik2010

I agree with that. I do plan to send it back to them if they give me the option. It's a little upsetting that I only had it for a few weeks before sending it off and then having to send it off again. I've almost had it in my hands for less time than I've owned it. Not a good excuse to risk breaking something myself just to avoid more time in the warranty dept. Thanks for reminding me of that.

What confuses me is how it could be test fired with no malfunctions and then show up in this condition. I'm afraid if they say something happened to it in shipping then they won't cover it under warranty. I s'pose something could have broke after the last shot fired and safety checked before packaging it back up and sending it to me. Only time will tell. Hopefully it's not a problem and they fix it up right away. This is my first CZ handgun and it's not leaving a very good taste in my mouth with CZ. But I s'pose it happens to the best of em eventually. Not everything can be perfect.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:02 PM   #6
jackstrawIII

Sorry to hear about your problem, I've had nothing buy awesome experiences with my SP-01.

Interested to hear how well CZ takes care of this problem for you.
Old March 22, 2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Kwik2010

I'll let ya know when I hear from them and if/when they fix it.
Old March 22, 2018, 05:50 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

Looking at the mechanism, I'm not sure how this would even happen. I could understand if it was the normal SP-01 with safety, in that there might have been a change that is causing the safety to be slightly engaged with the lever off... but with a decocker model, I'm not sure what would be blocking the hammer that way.

Definitely send it back to CZ. That's a strange one. I haven't had any issues with mine.
Old March 27, 2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Kwik2010

Well I sent it out this morning. I filled out a warranty sheet amd got a return label the next day. Fingers crossed for fast turnaround and all problems solved. Thank you all for your input.
Old March 28, 2018, 07:27 PM   #10
chris in va

Please let us know what the fix was, really unusual malfunction.