The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2018, 02:21 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Heritage 9 shot revolvers. Any good?

I've looked at old threads about Heritage revolvers and the responses are very positive, but I think most of the people who replied were past/current owners of 6 shot Heritage revolvers, not 9 shot models.

Right now a 6.5" 9 shot Heritage with adjustable sights is at the top of my list. For those who've owned one, how did the timing and lockup hold up over time? Any issues?
Old November 16, 2018, 01:06 AM   #2
TruthTellers

I guess nobody has ever owned a 9 shot Heritage. Bummer.
Old November 16, 2018, 06:19 AM   #3
GarandTd

Sorry, basic six shot owner here. So far no real issues, though.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Buckeye!

Same here 6 shot 22/22mag ... I really like mine...

Last edited by Buckeye!; November 16, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

My convertible 22/22mag is a really nice gun. A heck of a deal for the cost. Fun Plinker without breaking he bank. Hickcock45 did a very positive review.
Old November 19, 2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Siggy-06

Low cost .22 pinker. Only shot the 6 shot as well, but it seemed solid enough and shot where I pointed it. For something fun and affordable, why not?
Old November 20, 2018, 01:09 PM   #7
Runs With Fire

I have the six shot. If I recall correctly l, when researching about it, the nine shot doesn't have a magnum cylinder available like the six shot. I bought the six shot 22lr and bought the mag cylinder later.
Old November 22, 2018, 08:32 AM   #8
tallball

They shoot okay, but they aren't good quality handguns. I owned one for a while, and my BiL has had one forever. Most of them have zamak frames. The safety is an abomination. The plastic handle on the ejector rod will break eventually. On the other hand, they will shoot about as well as the small sights allow.

I traded mine towards something else and waited until a finish-challenged Single Six showed up on Gunbroker and no one really wanted to bid on it. One bottle of Cold Blue later and I have a far superior SA 22 revolver with better sights that will last pretty much forever.

If you want a cheap 22lr SA revolver, the old Tanfoglios are always for sale on Gunbroker for about $100 used. (I got mine for less.) They still have the stupid safety, but are steel and better quality overall.
Old November 22, 2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

My two six-shooter Rough Riders have been great, and well worth the modest price as compared to "approved" names of the American Society of Gun Snobbery. Don't see any reason for the nine-shooter to be any different.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 22, 2018, 10:23 AM   #10
Ricklin

9 shooter

I really like my Taurus 94 9 shooter. While it is double action, it's a rather impractical double action. The DA trigger pull is about 13 pounds. Or as I like to say, two men and a boy.
Research has indicated that the DA issue is not "fixable" by changing springs. It's a function of the size of the frame combined with the healthy whack that is required for rimfire ammo.

That said the single action pull is OK, and the little 9 shooter is accurate. It's all steel which is a substantial upgrade over the heritage single action.

I don't think the 94 is currently in production, used ones are out there. I paid 250 for mine and it is like new, no box.

Only issue I had was the loctite on the screw for the grips. Dear Taurus, when loctite is applied to that screw it's impossible to remove it without destroying the grips. I finally got it out, but was not easy. The grips are neoprene and the female threaded insert is ripped loose, with no way to prevent it from turning.
Old November 22, 2018, 03:31 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
They shoot okay, but they aren't good quality handguns. I owned one for a while, and my BiL has had one forever. Most of them have zamak frames. The safety is an abomination. The plastic handle on the ejector rod will break eventually. On the other hand, they will shoot about as well as the small sights allow.

I traded mine towards something else and waited until a finish-challenged Single Six showed up on Gunbroker and no one really wanted to bid on it. One bottle of Cold Blue later and I have a far superior SA 22 revolver with better sights that will last pretty much forever.

If you want a cheap 22lr SA revolver, the old Tanfoglios are always for sale on Gunbroker for about $100 used. (I got mine for less.) They still have the stupid safety, but are steel and better quality overall.
Frames are aluminum, not zamak.
Old November 22, 2018, 03:39 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
I really like my Taurus 94 9 shooter. While it is double action, it's a rather impractical double action. The DA trigger pull is about 13 pounds. Or as I like to say, two men and a boy.
Research has indicated that the DA issue is not "fixable" by changing springs. It's a function of the size of the frame combined with the healthy whack that is required for rimfire ammo.

That said the single action pull is OK, and the little 9 shooter is accurate. It's all steel which is a substantial upgrade over the heritage single action.

I don't think the 94 is currently in production, used ones are out there. I paid 250 for mine and it is like new, no box.

Only issue I had was the loctite on the screw for the grips. Dear Taurus, when loctite is applied to that screw it's impossible to remove it without destroying the grips. I finally got it out, but was not easy. The grips are neoprene and the female threaded insert is ripped loose, with no way to prevent it from turning.
I've thought about non-SA .22 revolvers before and the list was narrowed down to Ruger 3 inch LCRx, Taurus 94, and Charter Arms. The Charter is capacity challenged at 6 rounds and I cannot accept any .22 revolver with just 6 rounds. Well built, decent triggers from what I hear, but I can't do it.

The Ruger and Taurus 94 are gonna run about $350-400 and the only two features they give me over a Heritage are a DA pull and the swing out cylinder. If after 9 rounds the threat hasn't been stopped, I have bigger problems than a .22 revolver can solve.

Being convertible to .22 Mag is cool too. After years of thinking, I've come to decide non Single Action .22 revolvers aren't for me.
Old November 22, 2018, 04:45 PM   #13
2wheelwander

Gander Mountain had these clearanced for $99. If I didn't buy one then, I never will.

Can't beat it for the money though
Old November 22, 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
ThomasT

I have owned at least four 9 shot 22s and the one thing I didn't like about them was the tiny ratchet on the back of the cylinder. Compared to something like the ratchet on a Ruger single six they don't look like they will last. And I have seen one ratchet on a 9 shot gun that looked pretty chewed up. So I will stick with the 6 shot guns.
Old November 23, 2018, 09:35 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

[QUOTE]
Frames are aluminum, not zamak.

Model: RR22B4
Price: 194.97
UPC: 72796250020 0
Barrel Material: 1215 Steel
Bbl: 4.75
Caliber: 22 Long Rifle Only
Cylinder Capacity: 6 Rounds
Cylinders Material: 12L14 Steel
Finish: Blue
Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
Grip: Cocobolo
Land and Grooves: 6
Land Width: .076 inch
Length of Rifling Twist: 1 Turn in 14 inches RH
Over all Length: 10.035 inches
Sights: Open fixed type; Notch at Rear
Style: LR CYL ONLY Fixed
Trigger Pull: Approximately 6 Pounds
Weight Unloaded: 33.4 ounces (Aprox)

[Aluminium alloys (or aluminum alloys; see spelling differences) are alloys in which aluminium (Al) is the predominant metal. The typical alloying elements are copper, magnesium, manganese, silicon, tin and zinc.

Zamak
Zamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 4% aluminium composition. /QUOTE]

I think they are hedging the numbers a bit when they use the tern aluminum "alloy". Aluminum frames do meet the requirements of melting point laws.

The lower priced rimfire Rough Riders are built on Zamak frames.
Quote:
Heritage RR22B6 Rough Rider 6RD 22LR 6.5" Blued
Model
RR22B6 Condition
Factory New
Bud's Item #
87904 UPC
Manufacturer:
Heritage Manufacturing Quantity Remaining
10+
*This model does not meet requirements for melting point laws.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 23, 2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
Mine improved tremendously with a Wolff spring kit.
Old November 23, 2018, 09:11 PM   #17
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
I think they are hedging the numbers a bit when they use the tern aluminum "alloy". Aluminum frames do meet the requirements of melting point laws.
I don't disagree, but I don't discredit a gun if it will melt at 900 degrees. This is .22 we're talking here.

Quote:
The lower priced rimfire Rough Riders are built on Zamak frames.
Yeah, but Heritage does make some with steel frames. I do wish they'd make the 9 shot models with steel frames.
Old November 24, 2018, 12:17 AM   #18
Buckeye!

I thought the frame was made out of Adamantium ?
Old November 24, 2018, 10:03 AM   #19
osbornk

I have shot my Rough Rider many rounds in the five years or so I have had it. It still shoots and looks new (thanks to the case hardened finish) with no signs of wear. I don't care what it is made out of since it clearly doesn't matter.
Old November 27, 2018, 12:38 PM   #20
usr1987

After owning the 6 shot for a while and being solid, I purchased the 9 shot. I am having an issue with it. The gate when loading does not line up and you need to kind of hold the cylinder in place for the 22 mag. For the 22lr is ok but the ejector rod needs to be lined up for both. I called the support line and was told that is normal and I think is because the frame is the same as the 6 shooter. But also found an issue with the 22lr cylinder not locking on 7 out of the 9 notches and need to be advanced about 1mm to lock. I regret getting it

https://ibb.co/Csm6N5S

https://ibb.co/x6mKLFW
Old December 6, 2018, 02:46 AM   #21
jstert

Heritage 9 shot revolvers. Any good?

i’ve had 6 shot and 9 shot 22lr/wmr heritage roughriders. all have given fine service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 7, 2018, 03:14 PM   #22
idek

I've had my heritage 9-shot for about half a year. The thing that stood out to me right away is that getting the holes lined up with the loading gate seems a little harder than it would be with a 6-shot model.

I think this may be because the loading gate is still in the same place as it would be for the 6-shot model, but since the spacing of the holes in the cylinders is different, they don't naturally line up with the loading gate as well. Is that minor inconvenience worth having three extra rounds? For me, sure, but others may think differently.

Other than that, I don't have anything really negative to say about it. I've have no cycling issues or malfunctions of any kind any. I'm not a very good handgun shooter, so I can't really say what the gun is capable of in terms of accuracy.
Old December 7, 2018, 05:08 PM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by idek View Post
I've had my heritage 9-shot for about half a year. The thing that stood out to me right away is that getting the holes lined up with the loading gate seems a little harder than it would be with a 6-shot model.

I think this may be because the loading gate is still in the same place as it would be for the 6-shot model, but since the spacing of the holes in the cylinders is different, they don't naturally line up with the loading gate as well. Is that minor inconvenience worth having three extra rounds? For me, sure, but others may think differently.

Other than that, I don't have anything really negative to say about it. I've have no cycling issues or malfunctions of any kind any. I'm not a very good handgun shooter, so I can't really say what the gun is capable of in terms of accuracy.
The loading gate misalignment is a minor flaw to me; the reason I'm interested in getting a 9 shot Heritage over an 8 or 9 shot double action is if you have to reload after 9 shots, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Accuracy will likely be no different than the 6 shot models, which is why I didn't ask about it. The adj. sights will only be an improvement over the traditional sights.
Old December 25, 2018, 03:11 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

How is the loading gate wrong but the cylinder to barrel alignment right?

Not being snarky. I honestly am looking for a learning moment...
Old December 25, 2018, 08:13 PM   #25
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
How is the loading gate wrong but the cylinder to barrel alignment right?

Not being snarky. I honestly am looking for a learning moment...
barrel/cylinder alignment and loading gate/cylinder alignment are two different things. You can be off on one and be good with the other. The issue is the frames used are the same with the 6 round cylinder, so it appears that Heritage uses the same frames for both 6 and 9 round models.

Basically, Heritage doesn't want to make frames with loading gate cutouts specifically for the 9 shot models because it would cost them money for something that probably doesn't sell as well as the 6 shots do and isn't that big a deal to being with.