The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 3, 2009, 11:05 AM   #76
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Lunchbox, I think you've gotten all the "help" you're likely to get here. The trouble is your requirement that the method be low profile and unobtrusive . . . rifles just aren't very small, and motorcycles aren't very big. You might look into something that goes smaller than a folding AK, such as one of the SU-series rifles from Kel-Tec.

I have to say, though, I don't quite get what the big drama is. Is everyone here really saying that a guy on a motorcycle can't carry a rifle around? I mean, it wouldn't be my choice, but I don't have an AK in my trunk, either, or a rifle rack in my pickup. A lot of people do carry rifles in their trunks or in the backs of truck cabs, and I don't hear them getting this kind of grief. Would you all have treated this guy to the same snark if he'd asked "Which is a better truck gun, AK or AR?" Somehow, I don't think that would have started three pages of "Just what do you think you need a handgun and a rifle in your truck for, you 12-year-old poseur?"

I don't work in Florida, but I'm pretty sure no one at my company would declare a scene unsafe because there was a rifle in a vehicle, encased on a vehicle, or on the ground. An AK with a runaway trigger? Seriously? He shouldn't carry an AK on a motorcycle because if he's in an accident, and the rifle is ejected from its case and lands on the ground, emergency personnel arriving on scene will be in danger of that rifle going off and going full-auto as it lays on the ground?

This isn't as hard as some of you are trying to make it. He needs to carry the rifle safely and discreetly if he's going to carry it on the bike at all. If you know a way to do that, you can help. If you don't know a way to do that, you can't help. Easy.
Old June 3, 2009, 12:49 PM   #77
lunchbox

A big thank you sir

that is what i have been saying all along

there is a gun I may have sold if so I will look more into a SUB2000 or something of that nature I was stuck on the AK because I had a trade pending that fell through anyway Im sure I can come up with a way to mount it I just need to find the right box case or whatever

Quote:
Lunchbox, I think you've gotten all the "help" you're likely to get here. The trouble is your requirement that the method be low profile and unobtrusive . . . rifles just aren't very small, and motorcycles aren't very big. You might look into something that goes smaller than a folding AK, such as one of the SU-series rifles from Kel-Tec.

I have to say, though, I don't quite get what the big drama is. Is everyone here really saying that a guy on a motorcycle can't carry a rifle around? I mean, it wouldn't be my choice, but I don't have an AK in my trunk, either, or a rifle rack in my pickup. A lot of people do carry rifles in their trunks or in the backs of truck cabs, and I don't hear them getting this kind of grief. Would you all have treated this guy to the same snark if he'd asked "Which is a better truck gun, AK or AR?" Somehow, I don't think that would have started three pages of "Just what do you think you need a handgun and a rifle in your truck for, you 12-year-old poseur?"

I don't work in Florida, but I'm pretty sure no one at my company would declare a scene unsafe because there was a rifle in a vehicle, encased on a vehicle, or on the ground. An AK with a runaway trigger? Seriously? He shouldn't carry an AK on a motorcycle because if he's in an accident, and the rifle is ejected from its case and lands on the ground, emergency personnel arriving on scene will be in danger of that rifle going off and going full-auto as it lays on the ground?

This isn't as hard as some of you are trying to make it. He needs to carry the rifle safely and discreetly if he's going to carry it on the bike at all. If you know a way to do that, you can help. If you don't know a way to do that, you can't help. Easy.
Old June 3, 2009, 12:58 PM   #78
stargazer65

Quote:
I apologize for my part in this Lunchbox. It appears you were a victim of TFL user profiling by a stereotype.
Old June 3, 2009, 02:38 PM   #79
johnwilliamson062

I am his friend on facebook. I will pose the question.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; June 3, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old June 5, 2009, 11:46 PM   #80
lunchbox

Quote:
I am his friend on facebook. I will pose the question.

anything??
Old June 7, 2009, 09:30 AM   #81
techbrute

Quote:
As a firefighter, if you wrecked and I was walking up and saw that weapon, legally I would not be able to help you.
I find it sad that you fall in the same category as the people in the Million Mom March. That is, people that think a firearm has the capacity to simply jump off the table and start shooting people of its own accord.

And that you are so afraid of these firearms, that you wouldn't perform your sworn duty... sad.

ETA: Oh, and as the title states, I do think it sounds dumb to carry a rifle on a motorcycle. This has no bearing on the OP's right to do so legally.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:24 PM   #82
lunchbox

Quote:
I find it sad that you fall in the same category as the people in the Million Mom March. That is, people that think a firearm has the capacity to simply jump off the table and start shooting people of its own accord.

And that you are so afraid of these firearms, that you wouldn't perform your sworn duty... sad.

I agree
Old June 15, 2009, 04:26 PM   #83
ArcticNemo

Buy more guns

+1 on the PLR
Steady it over the seat or bars for kneeling shots. Scope and sight for 200yards and the drop isn't too bad at 300.
The SU-16 (B or CA)folds to 7x24", and fits nicely in a big pack. Riding and shooting, two great things that go great together.