The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 12, 2018, 12:22 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Glasses for range

Are there any glasses that are real good scratch resistant and anti fog to some extent.

I know if I get a case or pouch it will help with the glasses being scratched. It has been my fault some of the glasses I have are scratched due to multiple glasses being grouped together.

During the early months of winter... I do go out to range. The only problem I have encountered is when wearing a ski mask (https://www.dhgate.com/store/product...403191517.html)... well the glasses do fog.

I have gone on amazon and looked at actual gun manufacturers shooting glasses but the majority have mixed reviews. As well as other brands have mix reviews.

Then again I have bought Menard's $3 clear glasses and one Stanley amber glasses.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:13 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

No gun manufacturer makes glasses. None. They may sell the rights to someone to use their name on glasses but they don't make them. If you want an actual pair of shooting glasses there are a number of companies making them. You kind of get what you pay for in that regard. You can buy a good set of glasses with three sets of lenses for different lighting conditions, but be prepared to pay well over a hundred bucks for them. They cost the same as buying any pair of quality eye wear. If you are on a limited budget and don't need a prescription, just buy some industrial type of safety glasses or goggles. They'll work just fine to protect your eyes....but with no tint, color, etc.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:11 AM   #3
MTT TL

I prefer WileyX shooting glasses with Oakleys a close second. If you want a cheaper solution go to a big box home improvement center and look for protective lenses. All are extremely scratch resistant but some have lenses that are much clearer to view with. Try them all out and pick the ones with the clearest lenses with the least distortion. Should come in around $20-30.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:21 AM   #4
FITASC

Quote:
I have gone on amazon and looked at actual gun manufacturers shooting glasses but the majority have mixed reviews. As well as other brands have mix reviews.
Gun companies don't make glasses; look at Randolph, Decot, Pilla, Wiley, Oakley
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 12, 2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Nathan

Look for glasses that meet the mil std. those are the only ones rated specifically rated for projectile protection.

The US military and I find the ESS glasses to work great!
Old July 12, 2018, 08:46 AM   #6
ninosdemente

Thanks for the help guys, will look into some of those brands.
Old July 12, 2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Don Fischer

i think you'll find that if you buy glass's with plastic lens they will tend to scratch, get glass lens if you can. I wear glass's and they are plastic. Was warned when I got them to only clean them with cotton cloth. I use the lens rag that came with a Redfield scope and they are fine. Easier just to get glass lens if you can afford them.
Old July 14, 2018, 11:33 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

A ski mask or balaclava will just make the fogging worse. Changes how your exhaled breath hits the colder glass/plastic. That zdomain5 hat isn't a balaclava though. Not that it matters.
There is no scratch resistant plastic(even the coating on prescription sunglasses, all of which are impact resistant, scratches.). That's why the safety glasses made of plastic usually are cheap. The best plastic safety glasses I have(only wear prescription specs for distance so I don't use safety glasses on a range.) cost me a buck Cdn. No typical distortion found on most plastic lenses. You have to try 'em before you buy. And brand names like Oakley are just as susceptible to scratching as the cheapest dollar store safety glasses.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:32 PM   #9
AzShooter

Oakley are my favorite. I've been using them for years with complete satisfaction. Expensive but worth every penny. Try MidwayUSA.com. They often have them on sale.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
i think you'll find that if you buy glass's with plastic lens they will tend to scratch, get glass lens if you can.
On the other hand, I think you’ll find if you buy glass lenses that they will explode if lead comes off of steel target and hits you. You kind of have to take the good with the bad. Have you ever seen a rear glass on a car break? That’s what the glass safety glasses will do if they take an impact. Front windshields are different due to their laminate construction. But that is also about a quarter inch thick. Bulletproof glass is even thicker.
Old July 14, 2018, 12:50 PM   #11
jmhyer

I'd stick with whatever inexpensive safety glasses are comfortable. Keep them in a case to protect them. If they get scratched, well...they're easy and cheap to replace. And there are anti-fog sprays and wipes that may help.