The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 25, 2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Centuriator

Who else loves "The Test"?

Who else loves the 10-10-10 drill made popular by Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers, called "The Test" ... Hackathorn is a tad more forgiving than the LAV. I've taken a number of classes with LAV and he always uses it to humble the arrogant and encourage those who aspire to greatness. He shoots himself and usually smokes it. He then likes to make it even more challenging by increasing the distance by three yards until everyone fails horribly.

It is a rigorous test of fundamentals.

The timer and the hits on the bull do not lie.

I spent several hours out at my gun club today kicking my own ass with it.

I smoked it at 7 yards pretty handily after warming up, cleaned the bull in 8 seconds at 7.

10 yards proved more of a challenge, and I never did clean the target entirely, though I did pass with only one outside the black several times.

It is important to not overdo the drill, that is, take some rests, breathe and hit it again, but after a few hundred rounds, you are through.

If you are not familiar with it, here's the drill, and you can improvise all kinds of variations of it, scaling it up and down per your wants/desires for testing yourself and developing speed and accuracy.

SPEED IS FINE, ACCURACY IS FINAL.

B-8 bullseye target at 10 yards, 10 shots in 10 seconds, all in the black. Vickers and Hackathorn let students do it from the low ready, not "nearly on target" but a true low ready. I can manage my way at 7 yards to clean the target from the draw.

Ten yards remains my nemesis. I've yet to clean it perfectly, all black, in ten seconds. Each time I think I have that damn timer beeps again and missed it by .5 second, or 1 second, or two and have one outside the black.

I love this drill. You should too.

Push yourself hard. And then push some more.

Variations include:

The Half Test: Five yards; 10 rounds; five seconds; from the holster

Or 7-7-7, etc.

GREAT FUN. Much learning.

Trigger discipline and good and consistent picture. This drill WILL kick your ass, no doubt. And that is a good thing. In a real fight, usually at closer distances, your groups will open up, so this is a great way to train for the fight.

Here is an article form VICKERS posted on Ammoland, for more details.

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/lar...#ixzz5GXJH4Yu0
Old May 26, 2018, 10:59 PM   #2
capbuster

They recommend running it cold. In other words your first effort. The 25 yd target at 10 yards is deceiving. From a ready position and getting 10 good center hits in 10 seconds is a real eye opener.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:38 AM   #3
WVsig

I shoot the test just about every range session these dats. I agree capbuster that the “real test” is running it cold. That will approximate what your ability to shoot accurately in a defensive situation where there is no warmup.

I learned to shoot The Test straight from Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn early this year. It is a great drill that can be done at just about any range. KH says if you can only shoot one drill a month this would be it.
Old June 1, 2018, 06:08 PM   #4
cje1980

I agree that it's more challenging to do cold.