The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 18, 2018, 01:00 PM   #1
R.A.N.G.E.R

Taurus 627–Tracker .357 questions

I bought a used 6 1/2” barrel model recently. It has cleaned up well so far, but it has a very heavy trigger pull that seems a bit gritty. The break, as best I can describe it, often feels a bit uncertain — it doesn’t have an exact feeling of when the sear releases the hammer. I’ve found this makes it harder to keep pulling through and I’m picking up a bit of anticipation firing this gun.

I’d like to polish up the internals a little and see it improve. I’ve seen some instruction on working the parts that will help improve the trigger draw, but I had trouble getting the right ‘side plate’ or cover off. It’s very tightly fitted. It didn’t budge much with sharp raps with a large plastic screwdriver handle; the same when rapping the handle carefully against a hard surface. It only moved a few mm from all of these efforts. I was applying a good bit of force, and didn’t want to damage anything so I stopped for the time being to sit back and try to come up with better ideas.

Just writing this out gave me another thought — it may help to use some penetrating oil where the plate fits the frame, give it some time to work and rap some more. Is there a best practice way to remove this tightly fitted side-plate, am I missing something?

My other question was about the way the Single Action works: when shooting a DA/SA auto pistol, it enters SA mode after each shot. On this Taurus revolver the only way I’ve seen to use SA is to pull back the hammer. It always resets to DA mode, even after shooting an SA shot. Is this the proper operation or should it reset to SA whever it fires?

Thanks fur any help here.
Old July 18, 2018, 06:24 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

Yes, you have to manually cock it each time in SA.
Old July 19, 2018, 02:26 PM   #3
R.A.N.G.E.R

Erase post!

Last edited by R.A.N.G.E.R; July 19, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old July 19, 2018, 02:28 PM   #4
R.A.N.G.E.R

Thanks for that, @jetinteriorguy. Makes me wonder if there are other revolvers that do reset to single action, or if pretty much all DA/SA revolvers act the
same as this Taurus
Old July 19, 2018, 09:18 PM   #5
turkeestalker

There was one designed around 1900 or so which is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6KHE0jEFc

Also look up Meteba.... but you'll not pick up either of them for the price of a Tracker!

Welcome to the forum.

The side plate of your Tracker is likely similar to the few Taurus revolvers that I own.
Most revolvers for that matter.
There is a small lip up near the highest point of the side plate that slips under a recess in the frame near the rear sight.
By applying a little pressure to pry upward with small punch or something down near the bottom of the side plate by the main spring at the grip opening, it should begin to pull upward and clear the frame.
You can then slide it downward and clear that lip that engages the frame.
Probably not the best explanation but hope it helps.
Old July 20, 2018, 08:16 PM   #6
R.A.N.G.E.R

Thanks for the tip tip, I will check it out.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Dave Chuppa

Look it up on you tube. It may show you what you need.

Tags
.357 , gritty , gunsmithing , taurus 627 , trigger job