The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 27, 2018, 02:06 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Don't they fall under the category of what used to be called, "Barbecue Guns"?
Not exactly and that isn't how Bond sells them. BBQ guns tend to be very nice guns, often highly decorated or engraved, pristine finishes, worn during fancy occasions (weddings, SW BBQs, black tie affairs, etc.), often carried in finely tooled holsters, but generally not used as daily carry or field guns.

You can certainly dress up a Bond derringer as a BBQ gun, but as a stock gun, no, they are not BBQ guns in the traditional sense.
Old June 27, 2018, 03:09 PM   #27
Obambulate

It does seem like the best thing about them is simply "having one" and showing it to others.

I have zero interest in owning one but I still like them. They look great and seem like a quality hunk of metal.
Old July 2, 2018, 09:55 PM   #28
ChuteTheMall

They dominate the competition at cowboy action shooting derringer side matches. Big enough and heavy enough to minimize perceived recoil.

Old July 3, 2018, 08:51 AM   #29
jr24

I could see buying a Bond Arms derringer just for fun and to have one.

I cant conceive of a reason why I would ever buy a .410 revolver over simply buying a .38/.357/.9mm/.45/.44 revolver instead.

I like my .410 side by side for small game but a Judge? Pointless IMO.
Old July 3, 2018, 09:21 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

So I think we have decided that the basic premise of the OP's title was faulty?

The powers of Heaven have told me that we don't need another Judge thread.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:34 AM   #31
Carmady

There is nothing cowboy-looking about a Bond derringer, imo.
Old July 3, 2018, 12:45 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

The American Derringer guns were smaller and more "sveldt."
They looked like the original Remington derringer.
The Bond looks like it is on steroids.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:54 PM   #33
dogtown tom

Quote:
Carmady There is nothing cowboy-looking about a Bond derringer, imo.
This.
How can one take cowboy action shooting seriously if they allow the Bond Arms "derringer"?

Do they allow the Heizer? It's about as authentic as the Bond.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 3, 2018, 06:00 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

American Derringer really isn't in production in numbers. Bond seems the only game in town if you want a new one. Not into SAS, so I don't see the problem - it's close.
Old July 4, 2018, 09:50 AM   #35
Carmady

Yee-hah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobray derringer.jpg (61.1 KB, 51 views)
Old July 4, 2018, 12:56 PM   #36
WV_gunner

I noticed those adapters too, I’d like them for my long gun. 5 of them are pricey though. Really don’t want a .380 rifle that really would only have a 2 1/2 inch barrel including the chamber. I think the reason for .380 is because everything I’ve read about adapters is they do best with low power. And out such of a short adapter to fit in a .410 chamber a lower power round only makes sense. Oddly enough the long gun version, the Circuit Judge, was offered in several different rounds. None of them caught on. The only allure to these adapters is this, you can now shoot 3 different rounds. .45 colt isn’t cheap and .380 is probably 30% of the price. I like my long gun a lot, but part of the fun is shooting .45 Colt out of a rather accurate gun. They hold a tight pattern with 000 as well, I just don’t see it being anywhere near as good with those adapters. If if could afford them, I’d buy them anyways.
Old July 5, 2018, 12:25 PM   #37
TruthTellers

^ Yeah, IDK what the deal is with .380 first, 9mm second when it comes to manufacturers and new products. Glock did it with the G42, Kel Tec did it with the P3AT, Ruger the LCP, now Shortlane with the rifled .410 adapters.

While it's not yet out, 9mm (and .38 Special too) will be coming. They already make smoothbore adapters for those, so it's not like it's impossible. Of all the cartridges to make a rifled adapter for, the .380 is probably the worst one as the velocity is so slow, no hollow point is going to expand... almost be better off using the smoothbore adapter as the bullet will already be tumbling when it hits and cause more damage.

9mm OTOH, it seems the velocity of that cartridge and bullet design is so good, it will expand no matter what as long as you use the right ammo.
Old August 29, 2018, 08:23 PM   #38
jstert

bond arms derringers are certainly niche guns, but not novelty because they are so well made. i like b.a. 45lc without the trigger guard for use as a cold weather, outdoors walk, ccw because i can use it while wearing gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 29, 2018, 09:48 PM   #39
Carmady

The grip looks pretty big, which would probably help when shooting it.
Old August 30, 2018, 04:22 AM   #40
Roamin_Wade

We sell a couple of Bond Derringers a month at the store in Houston I work in. I don’t want one of the 45LC/410 models. I’d much rather have one in 357 Mag but I’ve never even looked at their website to see if they make them. It seems like Bond Arms has the 45/410 market and Davis Industries has the market of the 22, 25,32 and 38 calibers which all suck because it’s a cheap Davis made Gun. I’d like to see Colt come up with one again. They’ve made some nice ones in the past.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:00 AM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer

From the wonderful world of California.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ancer-prop-65/

Quote:
After August 30th, Bond Arms products will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE (including guns, barrels, holsters, accessories, apparel, etc.) in the state of California due to Prop 65, which makes all manufacturers label products that could have a chemical that could cause cancer or birth defects, even though it won’t.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:41 PM   #42
agtman

Quote:
From the wonderful world of California.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ancer-prop-65/
Quote:
After August 30th, Bond Arms products will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE (including guns, barrels, holsters, accessories, apparel, etc.) in the state of California due to Prop 65, which makes all manufacturers label products that could have a chemical that could cause cancer or birth defects, even though it won’t.
See attached pic ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.4 KB, 68 views)