The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Teirst

Selecting a holster (FNX)

First let me say thank you for the great response that my "fullsize 9mm" poll got. I ended up with some fantastic information and insight on both the 92 fs and the cz 75. Both of which I will have to end up with, after seeing the following that they have. I promise the advice that was given in that thread will not go to waste.

However, a deal came along on another pistol that I had not considered a lot the FNX-9. It fits my hand almost perfectly, and points great. The double action trigger seems a little heavy (but then it is supposed to) with what I find a fantastic single action trigger. Decocker and saftey allows the gun to be carried however you like.

The only negative I can come up with for the gun is that it is so light. However when holding this gun I feel like there is a pistol at the end of my arm, rather then my hand is holding one (if that makes any sense).

Now the thing I am concerned about, a proper holster. I know that the FNX9 will fit into the FNP9/40 holsters however, it seems that does not expand my options by a lot. When looking at "general" holsters how do I determine what "size" my gun is? Locally the place with the largest holster selection is Dicks sporting goods, so it is not like I can just carry my gun in and try them out .

I also have a couple of other questions (none are about price, I know that a holster is one of those things you don't want to skimp on)

Paddle holster vs. belt holster? Other then being able to remove the paddle holster easier what are the pro's/con's

Retention, I have been looking at holsters (like the blackhawk serpa) that offer retention "buttons" rather then straps. Is it a preference issue? Could a holster like the blackhawk be used for CCW or would it be like dancing in combat boots.

What is breaking in a holster?

I know that holsters come down to which ones work, and that I will have to try MANY to find the combination that just "fits" I am just looking for some general knowledge.

Finally I have heard of people calling FN and getting the shooters pack mailed to them for free for various reasons, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with doing that. I know that holster would not be anything amazing, but it might be a good place to start

I was not sure if this should be posted
Old October 6, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2
BarryLee

It might be helpful to visit the web sites for the various holster manufacturers and see what they offer. Most of these sites have charts to help you select the right holster for your gun and explain the various fit and sizing issues. Then you can order on-line from the various distributors like Midway. Also, do not forget to check places like Amazon I have actually found some good holster deals there, but it can be hit or miss. I think some places like Simply Rugged actually make each holster as it is ordered, so you get a semi-custom fit, but I could be wrong about that.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman