The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 29, 2016, 09:26 AM   #1
sir_n0thing

Latest acquisition... S&W 586

Last week I worked out a deal with a co-worker and found myself the proud owner of a 6" 586 no dash. I'll be trying to determine the birth date. There's actually a date stamped on the inside of the grip, January 1, 1984, but I don't know for fact if the grips are OG or not.
Serial number is ADN5xxx
She's in great condition, the bluing is almost perfect, with only some unfortunate tool marks around the crane release screw on the right side. The grips have wear, but are not cracked or damaged. Bore and cone are excellent, lockup is great, trigger is sweet, no flame cutting on the top strap.
She doesn't have the 'M' mark, so was never sent in for the recall. The previous 2 owners (both co-workers of mine) report no issues at all with magnum ammo over the years either person owned the gun.
I'm looking forward to a range trip!
Old February 29, 2016, 11:56 AM   #2
FlyFish

Very nice looking 586 (aren't they all?). Your ADN serial number prefix would place the gun in the late-1983 time frame, pretty much in the middle of the "no dash" production (the 586 was introduced in 1981 and was the first S&W model to wear the "3-alpha, 4-numeric" style serial number; the -1 came along in 1986). The 586 was discontinued at the end of 1999.

S&W will still correct the hammer nose/bushing problem at no cost, but if you plan on restricting the gun to range use there's no particular reason to send it in for the recall - except that it's possible they'll stop doing the fix free at some point. If you plan any CCW use, you really should send it in. The lockup problem was reportedly only occurring with a particular brand of hot 125 gr. ammo, and not always with that, but why take a chance? There are those that believe guns without the "M" stamp will have increased value at some point, but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt that it ever will.
Alder Brook Sportsmen's Association
Old February 29, 2016, 02:20 PM   #3
buck460XVR

I too recommend having S&W do the firing pin mod. Unlike the old three screw Blackhawks, it will not reduce the value of the gun and will only make it a more reliable firearm.

Absolutely no flame cutting on the top strap tells me this gun has not seen much of any amount of legitimate magnum loads. Could be why the original owners had no issues.
Old February 29, 2016, 02:49 PM   #4
sir_n0thing

Yep, she's in really good condition, and was indeed mostly fed .38spl, with the occasional box of .357 mag.
Maybe i should have have said "no significant" cutting in the top strap! It does have some marking there, but it's a lot less than I've seen on some other revolvers over the years.
Either way, it's purely a range gun for me. I'm a scrawny little white boy, and have enough of a challenge with my Shield as my CCW of choice. I can't fathom trying to hide that 6" barreled hunk of steel on me.
I'll likely send it in for the recall update. I'm not banking on collectable value, I plan on shooting her!
Old March 2, 2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Nice catch Sir. That is a beautiful gun.
Old March 3, 2016, 09:36 AM   #6
rodfac

Looks NIB condition from the picture. Should be a great Smith for you. Congratulations...and be sure to update the tread with your range results. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 4, 2016, 09:45 PM   #7
rc

Early ones were this grip configuration. I believe this is the square but profile and then S&W decided to go to a smaller round frame grip so more grip options could be fit to the L Frame. Nice buy!
Old March 4, 2016, 11:02 PM   #8
Model12Win

Oooh crap... that's one of the ultra-dangerous ones since it doesn't come with the internal lock. I pray that you don't have any children in the house. You better register it too, that makes them a lot less dangerous I heard.

Old March 6, 2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Rogervzv

That's a real beauty. Congrats.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:52 PM   #10
4D5

You scored a great classic revolver!

I've owned mine since the early 90's.

Old March 7, 2016, 12:43 PM   #11
sir_n0thing

Haven't made it to the range yet, but I did pick up a set of dies and a couple of pounds of powder and some 158gr LSWC. I got a bag of brass as part of the deal when I bought the Smith. Time to dust off the press! Hopefully by next weekend I can hit the range with a few boxes of both factory and home grown, 38s and 347s.
Old March 7, 2016, 12:44 PM   #12
sir_n0thing

357s even. Darn tiny phone keyboard.
Old March 19, 2021, 04:43 PM   #13
Twinsig

Followed me home today on my birthday!
[IMG][/IMG]