The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 5, 2021, 09:09 AM   #1
AKexpat

Who made this?

DJ,

The revolver in the photo is a Remington Beals (no exposed barrel threads). Who was the manufacturer? I have one like it and want to get a conversion cylinder for it.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 6, 2021, 06:15 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
The revolver in the photo is a Remington Beals (no exposed barrel threads). Who was the manufacturer? I have one like it and want to get a conversion cylinder for it.
Not really sure what you are asking. The 1858 Remington in the photo I posted was made by Armi San Paolo and sold under the EuroArms label.

The letters DGG in a circle stamped on the underside of the barrel underneath the loading lever identify it as such. I bought it brand new as a C&B revolver in 1975.

If you are asking who made the revolver in the photo you posted, I have no idea.

If the revolver in the photo you posted is yours, I notice it has the short front sight that was typical of Remingtons being imported into this country back then. It always shot high with the short front sight. Before I bought a conversion cylinder for it, I bought a new, taller Uberti front sight. I can't tell if the front sight in your photo is dovetailed to the barrel or if it is screwed to the barrel. In any case, my front sight was dovetailed to the barrel. The new front sight did not fit the original dovetail cut into the barrel. I brought the gun and the new sight to a gunsmith and he recut the dovetail to fit my new sight. With the taller front sight it no longer shot high, and I went ahead and bought the conversion cylinder.

Here are a couple of close up photos of the new front sight. Not really very new now, I had it installed close to twenty years ago.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; March 6, 2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 6, 2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Hawg

That short front sight is the same height as the originals and they were sighted in at 75 yards.
Old March 7, 2021, 12:16 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKexpat
Please post photos of any markings on the gun you are asking about.
Jeepaholic
Old March 8, 2021, 06:20 PM   #5
AKexpat

Apologies to all for the confusion I caused. My wife and I are caring for her parents in their 90's with advanced stage Alzheimer's Syndrome and it was a very hectic day. Hence the confusing lame post on my part.

The photo I posted is my revolver, a Dixie Gun Works Remington Beals .44 AH/1981, marked DGG (Armi San Paolo) which I felt was similar to DJ's revolver with the conversion cylinder.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=610858

I was trying to determine if my revolver was a candidate for the same cylinder. Upon further investigation, I have determined that a Taylor's (Howell) Uberti cylinder will fit.

Again, apologies all around.

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 8, 2021, 09:56 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Jim - if you have any doubts or questions on it -- give a call to Howell and maybe Maggie can answer them for you or possibly find out from the shop fellows. I believe that they also offer custom fitting but you's have to talk with them to see.

Jim
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 10, 2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Taylors and Howell are two separate outfits.

Years ago when I bought the conversion cylinder for my 1858 Remington, Taylors was marketing cylinders made by Howell under the R&D name. When making a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for the 1858 Remington, Howell discovered the basic cylinder is too small to have six 45 Colt chambers because the rims of the cartridges would overlap. So he bored his chambers at a very slight angle so the rear of the chambers had a little bit more space and the cylinder could accept six 45 Colt chambers without the rims over lapping. Howell obtained a patent on his design. Before anybody gets their undies in a twist, the angle is very, very slight, less than 1 degree, and does not affect the accuracy of the revolver at all.

At one point, for some reason Howell sold the rights to his patent to Taylors. Taylors then had the cylinders manufactured by another outfit, but they were the same as when Howell was making them.

A while later Howell set up his own company to make conversion cylinders, but he was prevented from making the six shot 45 Colt cylinder with angled chambers because he had sold his patent to Taylors. That's what can happen if you sell the rights to a patent.

So for a long time the only 45 Colt conversion cylinders that Howell offered for the 1858 Remington were restricted to five chambers. Don't be confused by the 44 Colt cylinder he offers that has six chambers. That is for a smaller cartridge and 45 Colt will not chamber in that cylinder.

Most recently I heard that Howell's patent has run out, and he is again offering a six shot 45 Colt cylinder for the 1858 Remington. If you go to his website you can see it.

Anyway, that is the story with Taylors and Howell and six shot 45 Colt cylinders for the 1858 Remington.

https://www.howellarms.com/
Old March 11, 2021, 08:38 AM   #8
AKexpat

Thanks DJ!

Jim