The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2018, 09:21 AM   #26
748 gave a large fireball. Varget and RL15 gave the best velocity and H-4895 gave the best accuracy, all with 150 "whatever".
Old March 20, 2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Barrel Length Matters

Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Barrel length has nothing to do with anything. The fastest and most accurate load from a 26" barrel will also be the fastest and most accurate from a 16" barrel.
Those two sentences are not always true and are unrelated to each other. If you use a slower powder the average pressure will be higher and one gets a higher velocity. There are exceptions like when the case fills and you can't reach the maximum SAAMI pressure. The velocity of the bullet leaving the muzzle is determined by the average pressure on the base of the bullet and the length of the barrel. Slower powders usually allow that to be higher. Look at the charges. If a faster powder maxes out at 44 grains and a slower powder at 50 grains, a longer barrel certainly may enable one to achieve higher average pressure and velocity with the slower powder.

Accuracy doesn't have a lot to do with burning rate. There are several powders with nearly identical burning rate but one may be more accurate than another. The same goes for barrel length. Experiments have been done shortening barrels and they find an optimal length. That length depends on the rifle, the calibre and the load. Loads may be tuned to particular lengths of barrel. Shorten it and the load just isn't quite as accurate.

Certainly length of barrel is not the only factor involved. Chamber, throat and rifling all matter too but length of barrel certainly matters. That's why all barrels aren't some convenient standard length. I doubt anyone would put a 16" barrel on a .50 BMG and folks are unlikely to put a 40" barrel on a .308 Win. but folks do put longer barrels on many rifles to give higher velocity and/or accuracy. In .308 for instance, some bullets lose accuracy if they drop below the speed of sound at long ranges. Give the rifle a heavier charge of powder and a longer barrel and the range at which that problem arises increases.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:30 AM   #28
I am a big fan of Varget but also a big fan of use what ya got. Before buying a new powder I would see if I can get acceptable performance on what is on the shelf.

If what you have on hand fails get a jug of Varget and some 168SMK's dip the case down in it and pour off enough to be able to seat the bullet with no crunching sounds. If that doesn't shoot then throw the barrel out. Only half kidding
“Only accurate rifles are interesting,” - Col. Townsend Whelen

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan
Old March 20, 2018, 05:10 PM   #29
I have never used Varget. IMR-4320 is a good one. Hey, use what you have. Load some up and go shooting. Have fun!
Take a fine bead!
Old March 22, 2018, 11:47 AM   #30
I've had great success with TAC powder for lightweight 308 bullets. I'll be they'd work great with those 150s you're using.
In God we trust.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:16 PM   #31
And there’s always IMR3031.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:25 PM   #32
Don Fischer
Powder for a 308. I suspect you could put cow dropping's in it and it would work! I never tried slow powder's in mine and never fast unless shooting cast. Everything just seem's to work. Don't recall what it was I settled on, probably IMR 3031 or BLC-2
Old March 22, 2018, 04:43 PM   #33
Powder for .308

I use H4895 and Accurate LT-32, leaning more to the LT-32 and I’m still learning and doing load development, but in a 22” Barrel it is more consistent velocity than H4895, that I attribute to my volumetric powder throw rather than trickled weight since the H4895 is courser by a lot and will not meter as smoothly and consistently. Since I don’t plan to powder trickle every round but instead develop a load that is accurate and consistent enough using the micrometer style powder throw... LT-32 works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member