The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 3, 2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Julius Caesar

Safe Storage w/Children

I have 3 guns, a Ruger 10/22, and two handguns. I have a small personal combination safe, I keep the handguns and ammo in the safe and keep the 10/22 with a trigger/action lock, but the key is locked in the safe. The keys to the safe are kept out of the house.

I have a small child and possibly more on the way in the next few years. I have read a lot of horrible stories about kids accidentally getting guns and causing death or injury. Seems most/all of these tragedies occur because of a parent who keeps a gun accessible. I.e. a gun a parent thinks is hidden but really is not. Sadly, it seems like most of these tragedies were easily avoidable by simply locking the guns.

I am curious what the parents here who own guns do. I have heard on Project ChildSafe that the gun should be locked twice, and the ammo stored in a separate safe. That seems a but excessive to me, as I don't see how a child could get into a locked safe in the first place.

How sophisticated is a child? Could a child conceivable pick a lock or short circuit a safe to open it?
Old February 3, 2018, 02:41 PM   #2
FITASC

Quote:
How sophisticated is a child? Could a child conceivable pick a lock or short circuit a safe to open it?
No.

You have enough already for kids.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 3, 2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Drae

Store guns and ammo separately, problem solved. Unless you consider a gun a blunt object, then i think you need to store everything in a safe to keep your kids safe.

Now, to be serious, a few years old kid won't be able to load a gun if it wasn't taught how to do so.
Old February 3, 2018, 04:09 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do as my friend did and destroy the mystique around guns. Tell your child if they want to see it, to ask and you will retrieve it from the safe for them to examine (after you teach them the three basic safety rules).
Old February 3, 2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Salmoneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
Do as my friend did and destroy the mystique around guns. Tell your child if they want to see it, to ask and you will retrieve it from the safe for them to examine (after you teach them the three basic safety rules).
Worked with our kid also...
Old February 3, 2018, 04:49 PM   #6
FITASC

And what I did with my two boys as well; only one gun kept out of the safe and loaded, my 357 in my nightstand which the boys were drilled about not messing with without me or even telling their friends. They got to shoot it with mild 38s, and watched what a 357 could do.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 4, 2018, 06:11 AM   #7
WarPig1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
I could not agree more. I have four sons and this is what I did from an early age.
When they ask, stop what your doing and satisfy their curiosity. Offer the opportunity to handle your firearms once in a while too.
I found too taking them to the club to hear and see firearms going off in real life was invaluable in teaching them "Hands off" unless Dad's with me.
My two adult's are responsible gun nuts like dad now.
Old February 4, 2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Brit

I have a gun safe, all firearms live in it! But my Glock 19, it is always loaded, on my person. Or on the bedside table (like now!) No children at home, when Grandkids visit. Round out of the chamber, and holstered, concealed.

Just in case wrestling about gun becomes loose? Don't know how, but better safe than sorry.
Old February 4, 2018, 07:08 AM   #9
manta49

Maybe children are different now and do what they are told and never disobey their parents. A lot of children are fascinated by firearms and will pick them up and play with them given a chance, their are plenty of tragic stories of what can happen. Telling them not to touch etc is not good enough its gun owners responsibility to make sure children do not have unsupervised access to firearms, not the child's responsibility to do what they are told. It seems that you are a responsible gun owner and keep you firearms away from unsupervised access, the steps you have in place seem reasonable.

Last edited by manta49; February 4, 2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old February 4, 2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Julius Caesar!

While kids may not be "sophisticated" enough to disable a lock, you still have to be careful. Obviously, cheap locks are more easily disabled than others and simply hiding a gun won't cut it, as you've noted. Just because we (as parents) think a gun is hidden doesn't mean a kid won't find it. It sounds like your precautions are pretty good, though.

When our daughter was little, I also took the remove the mystique route. By the time our daughter was ~5, she was "helping" me clean guns. AKA: Generally getting underfoot, but still allowing me an opportunity to teach her about guns and gun safety. The first time she handled a pistol, it was frame only, with slide and barrel removed, and we went from there. At 14, she's completely uninterested in guns (in lieu of makeup and music), but I'm confident that if she ran across one at a friend's house, she'd know how to deal with it.
Old February 4, 2018, 09:02 AM   #11
mehavey

Step-1: Remove the mystique +1
Step-2: Lock it up when you/your wife are absent (ammunition is a secondary/tertiary consideration)

Step-1 is for your kids.
Step-2 is for "their friends"
Old February 4, 2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Nathan

You can lock ammo up easily in an ammo can.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:24 PM   #13
cjwils

Teaching your kids about guns at an early age is a good idea, but based on my own childhood, I can guarantee that it does not destroy the mystique. That is why guns must be locked up if kids are around. No matter how well you train them, you cannot assume that kids will never disobey when they are not being watched. That is what kids do, they disobey from time to time as a way of learning new things and testing limits. You disobeyed when you were a kid, didn't you? Lock up your guns if kids are in the house.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:56 PM   #14
FAS1

I agree with teaching them as much as you can about guns, but I also know kids usually have to be told multiple times (especially toddlers) before they get it. Use a good quality handgun safe that is quick to access for you and safe enough to keep unwanted hands off your home defense gun.
Old February 4, 2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta49
Maybe children are different now and do what they are told and never disobey their parents. A lot of children are fascinated by firearms and will pick them up and play with them given a chance, their are plenty of tragic stories of what can happen. Telling them not to touch etc is not good enough its gun owners responsibility to make sure children do not have unsupervised access to firearms, not the child's responsibility to do what they are told. It seems that you are a responsible gun owner and keep you firearms away from unsupervised access, the steps you have in place seem reasonable.
It certainly IS a child's responsibility to do as told. And if a child is raised to understand that there will be negative consequences if they DON'T do as they are told, they can learn responsibility for their actions.

Do parents have a responsibility to store guns properly? Yes, I suppose they do. Yet ... I'm well into my seventh decade wandering the face of this planet. When I was a young child, my grandfather had rifles and shotguns in his house, and two uncles who lived on the same street each had handguns in their houses. Nobody then had a "gun safe." All us cousins knew where all the guns were kept. We also understood the rules of firearms safety, and we knew we were "in for a lickin' " if we ever dared to play with any of the guns without permission and supervision.

So we didn't.

But I grew up in an age when parents spanked their children for sassing and disobeying. Today, the kids would call the cops and have Mommy or Daddy arrested for child abuse over what was routine discipline when I was young. I find it difficult to think that the modern system produces better adult citizens.
Old February 4, 2018, 05:30 PM   #16
manta49

Quote:
It certainly IS a child's responsibility to do as told. And if a child is raised to understand that there will be negative consequences if they DON'T do as they are told, they can learn responsibility for their actions.
Try arguing that in court if a child is injured with a unsecured firearm. Its the child's fault for doing what it was told, not mine for leaving a firearm lying around.
You can argue they should do what they are told, but that doesn't mean they will so its up to the adults to make sure they do not have unsupervised access to firearms.

Last edited by manta49; February 4, 2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 4, 2018, 06:36 PM   #17
cjwils

"It certainly IS a child's responsibility to do as told."

That may be a little bit true, but kids disobey anyway. They occasionally disobey big time when not being watched. If anyone out there says you never disobeyed as a kid, I am calling you a liar right now.
Old February 4, 2018, 09:49 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
Try arguing that in court if a child is injured with a unsecured firearm. Its the child's fault for doing what it was told, not mine for leaving a firearm lying around.
You can argue they should do what they are told, but that doesn't mean they will so its up to the adults to make sure they do not have unsupervised access to firearms.
You are conflating liability with responsibility. Nevertheless, your anti-gun bias is showing (again). You live in an anti-gun society, so you aren't really qualified to understand the nuances of how it works here in the U.S.
Old February 5, 2018, 12:10 PM   #19
K_Mac

I think locking up guns in this culture is the right thing to do. In a safe is my preferred method, but a gun lock is fine.

I have a gun on me almost always. That does not change when the grandkids are here. When they stay, my loaded pistols go in a biometric safe if not on me.

Locking empty guns in one place and ammo in another is very popular with those who believe that having guns under any circumstance puts lives at risk.
Old February 5, 2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Mac
Locking empty guns in one place and ammo in another is very popular with those who believe that having guns under any circumstance puts lives at risk.
Too true.

When my late wife and I were going through the adoption process, the adoption social worker who did our home study just about freaked out when she found out I had GUNZ!!! in the house. I assured her that they were locked up (which they were -- and are, even though the adopted daughter is now away at college and is an adult). Then she (the social worker) tried to tell me that "the law required" that the ammunition had to be locked up, too. So I had to explain to her that, no, the law did NOT require that the ammunition be locked up, and I explained that I knew this because I am a certified firearms instructor.

So she backed off -- to the position of, "Well, it's OUR requirement." (She did the same thing about a CO2 detector -- tired to claim it's required, and when I cited chapter and verse of the building code to prove that it's not required in an existing house, she fell back on the "It's our requirement" to make it happen anyway.)

So, for the ammo, I snagged one of those half-height, sheet metal office storage cabinets from a company that had vacated their old offices, put a cheap padlock on it, and put enough ammo in it to make her happy. If she had twigged to the reloading bench and how much ammo I really have stored in the basement she would have had an entire herd of cows.
Old February 5, 2018, 03:24 PM   #21
manta49

Quote:
You are conflating liability with responsibility. Nevertheless, your anti-gun bias is showing (again). You live in an anti-gun society, so you aren't really qualified to understand the nuances of how it works here in the U.S.
So you see keeping children safe and not allowed unsupervised access to firearms as anti gun strange logic, i call it being a responsible gun owner. I have a few guns, and no child will be anywhere near them without my supervision and permission, if you see that as anti gun then there are plenty on the forum that commented on this thread are anti gun as well, and they are American and do understand the nuances of how it works here in the U.S PS Explain what i posted that is anti gun, as it hard for me to understand the nuances.

Last edited by manta49; February 5, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old February 5, 2018, 04:03 PM   #22
ammo.crafter

what about the children...

Educate
Demonstrate the destructive nature of a firearm
Strictly enforce "the rules", ie. the command "stop" is adhered to without question or hesitation.
Check every gun to see if it is loaded.
Consider every gun as loaded until they inspect same. (of course you had already inspected).
Old February 5, 2018, 06:07 PM   #23
fredvon4

I have posted this all over several forums

Wife an I were targets and kids as well due to job types and locations

We had to get serious ( and properly trained) with personal and family protection

Early on training of the growing kids and even the low age usage of the guns was deliberately considered and incorporated for OUR family... my 8 year old son could out shoot me

BUT as the kids aged and friends were in our home for BD party, sleep overs the consideration was for the armed guns with curious kids

NO choice but to lock away...actually caused us to get first of several gun safes

Trust me...you can hid and lock up every gun in a safe with three person control and the little devils will drink every drop of Vodka you have.... levity
Old February 5, 2018, 08:12 PM   #24
xcc_rider

I raised 2 daughter's without ever locking up my PD handgun. I did have a safe I kept the others in but all my rifles were in unlocked cases under my bed.
I did as others did, educated them in the safety rules and told them if the EVER wanted to see/handle a firearm all they need to do is ask. They both did multiple times over the years. The key here is NEVER say no or later. ALWAYS drop what you're doing and do what you promised. That way they'll have no reason to look for one without you.

I now have one daughter (31) who is my shooting partner and one (34) who doesn't like firearms. She's not anti-gun, she just doesn't like them.

This worked for me and may or may not work for others, but I never worried about them touching a firearm without my supervision.
Old February 5, 2018, 10:30 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
So you see keeping children safe and not allowed unsupervised access to firearms as anti gun strange logic, i call it being a responsible gun owner.
Don't put words in my mouth. I am certainly in favor of keeping children safe. What I am not in favor of is insulating them from exposure to firearms, and treating them in ways that don't teach them that they are, ultimately, responsible for their actions. Yes, until children reach the legal age of adulthood the parents are legally liable for what their children do, but that should not absolve the children of learning to be responsible human beings.

I'm old enough to have grown up in an era when most families had at least one gun in the house, and it was rarely locked up. Kids were taught to shoot at a young age (if I remember correctly, I think I was about ten when my grandfather taught me and my brother to shoot -- my brother was eight). and along with that came being taught responsibility, and that we WOULD NOT touch a firearm without parental (or grandparental) permission. That's just the way it was, and the adults didn't need gun safes or trigger locks to enforce it.