The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 15, 2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Steveinva

First time poster, question about eligibility in Va

First off, I am glad to have found this forum. I gave been needing yo ask thus question for a while. I live in Virginia, and I am 31 years old. In my early 20s I hit in a little law trouble, and was told by a judge I had to do an out patient group thing for drugs. Happy to say I'm 4 years clean now send a father if two, but my question is, will that keep me from being able to purchase a handgun? The state police dire sets out patient 'mental health' or something to that effect. If that dies, how would I go about getting my rights restored? I'm not a felon btw, never been committed, so I wonder if I even need to question this, but I'd rather know than assume all is well and attempt to purchase a firearm and get in trouble for lying on my application. Any help would be appreciated. Side note: I called the state police, and they couldn't even give me a definite answer. Thus was years ago so I don't remember exactly what they said. Please help!
Old August 15, 2016, 09:26 AM   #2
rwilson452

The drug issue could be an issue. It sounds to me like you need to consult with a lawyer.
Old August 15, 2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Steveinva

Thanks for your reply! It's only an issue, in Virginia, if you: have been convicted of a drug offense in the last year or upon request tested positive for drugs. The only question on the eligibility test they have on the web site that I'm unsure of is: Have you ever been involuntarily admitted to a facility or involuntarily ordered to outpatient MENTAL HEALTH treatment? The things I did weren't even run by doctors. They were like n/a meetings that I had to pay for
Old August 15, 2016, 09:59 AM   #4
NJgunowner

We can tell you what we think, but only a lawyer in your home state could give you a real answer. There's a lot of variables between state and federal laws.
Old August 15, 2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Steveinva

Yea, I went ahead and set up a consultation for later today. Thanks all.
Old August 16, 2016, 08:34 PM   #6
K_Mac

Quote:
Yea, I went ahead and set up a consultation for later today. Thanks all.
Welcome to the forum. You can get answers to most any question related to firearms here. When it comes to legal questions though, especially one as important as yours, an attorney is required. Good luck.
Old August 16, 2016, 08:46 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Steveinva!

As much as we'd like to help you here, and I assure you that we would, we really can't. You need a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction, and you need an honest-to-goodness consultation. One key factor in this is this: What you tell your lawyer is privileged and confidential by law. What you post online for a folks who are not licensed to practice law (however well-meaning they may be). . . is not. The lawyer with whom you have scheduled a consultation would be quite sour with me if I left this thread open so that you could post a bunch of stuff that hurts your case.

Accordingly, I wish you luck, but am closing this thread.