The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2017, 01:40 PM   #26
hagar

The Lee Perfect powder measure works better than some costing 10 times more..
Old October 10, 2017, 11:41 PM   #27
FLChinook

Quote:
Digital scales are a vast improvement. They take a very little bit of process to understand and use, one done, its all a plus.
I completely agree with these comments. I re-calibrate my RCBS digital scale before every use and my plastic powder pans (weight=124) is also used between each charge as a check.

ANOTHER QUESTION... I have about 10 loads left in the bottom of a 7-8 year old canister of H1000. I just bought 2 more canisters. Should I toss the old and start fresh or just add some of the new with the old and soldier on...?

I've always felt that powders, properly stored, do not age. What say 'ye??
Old October 10, 2017, 11:43 PM   #28
FLChinook

Sorry, I should have started a new thread with this. Please disregard my "new question" and I'll repost it alone.
Old October 11, 2017, 12:12 PM   #29
briandg

That is not possible. Your powder is clogging, there is a blockage, or you have an obstacle in the feed. There may even be clogging in the drop tube.

Clean it top to bottom and test it. Everything. Add fresh powder, test, and if you still get erratic readings your scale is wrong.

Are you using the small drop tube with large grained powders?
Old October 11, 2017, 02:30 PM   #30
Reloader270

Keep your up and down strokes even between throws - On the dumping stroke, give the lever an extra bump to release any powder which might be clotting insider the channel. Also help to dismantle the powder measure, clean it out with a de-greaser/anti-static agent and then coat the channel the disk and the inside of the frame with graphite. This would smooth up up things. Lastly make sure you use the large nozzle at the bottom of the powder measure.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:34 PM   #31
Paul B.

A very long time ago, probably around 1970 give or take a year I absolutely quit using stick powders of any kind, preferring the ease of measuring ball powders.
I had no plan on ever going back to them until my son-in law brought a rifle to me and asked me to work up a handload. Rifle was a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .300 WSM. Oh fun. He'd been given a load from a friend and so he furnished the components which included IMR4831 powder. Ouch! I had to face the ugly truth of fighting that powder once again. While in the process of working his load up, the powder and bullet supply ran out. So, the wife and I took a ride to the local Sportsman's Warehouse to get more powder and bullets. While there, I pointed out the RCBS 1500 Chargemaster and told her, "One of these days I'm gonna get me one one of those things." She said, "Why not today?" Gotta love that woman. I even use stick powder once more. It took me a while before I really could trust it but it's been about ten years now and it's working just fine.

There are a few caveats to remember. One, I calibrate it every time I use it. Two, no open windows, no fan or A/C going as moving air currents really mess things up. They can also mess up a balance beam scale as well.

Probably the best thing about it is when working up loads sat a half grain apart when approaching a max load, punch in the charge, run three,stop and punch in the new number, run three (or whatever) and so on. None of this adjusting back and forth with the old fashioned powder measures. Just time saved for more important things like getting to the range and shooting.

Do I still use a balance beam scale? Yup. Although I trust my Chargemaster, I alway double check the first couple of charges thrown.

Do I still use my hand operated powder measures. Sure do when doing a large run of handgun ammo. W231, Bullseye and #2400 flow quite nicely in my Uniflows.

Paul B.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:50 PM   #32
briandg

As he said, but a bit differently, I don't use the handle, I just tuck the thing between my first two fingers. I don't push it up and down, I flip it, and the thing gets a little whack in each stroke.

Lyman has a built in whacker that you must use on every stroke, as is said by some. A powder measure like Rcbs is a straight line drop into the chamber, if you keep your measure full, your powder isn't clumping, and there are no other obstacles to performance, seriously, your measure should never throw off significantly messed up loads. I guess that a small grain ball small pistol load shouldn't vary by even 1/10 grain, a larger case rifle or pistol may vary .2, a big charge of stick powder may go as much as .2 grains either way. Loading data provided by reputable sources will have taken these possible variations in consideration because there are millions of measures and scales in use that already are off by a few tenths. There are always people who will fudge by a few tenths. Variations in every component and variations in guns can cause problems, and if all of those variations increase pressure a bit, the only one that can absolutely understood and control is the powder charge.

People who publish load data will put a margin of safety into that weight and still suggest starting loads. There are so many people who take that data and play with it.

Imo, out of every concern a loader has is that he use a reliable load, and not just go around the internet looking for the hottest one possible. A scale or measure that is off is one of the most dangerous things that you can have.

Not to say that there aren't other dangerous steps but most others can be checked. Do you weigh and measure your bullets before you start? Keep components in unlabeled containers? If you are as careful handling it as possible, and use a comprehensive system of checks, you may never have a failure.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:53 PM   #33
briandg

Oh, check your headstamps every time you handle ammo or components. It is easy to mistake a cartridge that is based on another case, such as .270-30-06.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:58 PM   #34
briandg

Paul also mentioned something else that's important. While a progressive press automates the process and can prevent a great deal of human error, using careful checks can also prevent errors. I single stage load, in blocks of 100. It's easy to keep track of every single step, every shell.
Old October 12, 2017, 11:23 PM   #35
Heavy Metal 1

I boxed my RCBS unit several years ago. It was too inaccurate and frustrating to use. And this is even with the large and small drums and the "micrometer" spindles. I picked up a Lee unit and it is far more accurate and easier to use.
Old October 13, 2017, 07:15 AM   #36
briandg

I have no idea why you had trouble. My Rcbs with ball powder was always, without fail, rifle or pistol, dead on. Flake powder sometimes varied by a hairs breadth on pistol powder. Stick powder was predictably a bit off sometimes.

What charges were you getting these results with?
Old October 14, 2017, 10:07 PM   #37
Brassguy

I found out if I wipe out the chamber with a drier sheet every so often I get better throws because there is less static.