The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 2, 2017, 01:02 PM   #26
jag2

Several years ago it happened in the Winter Olympics. The event was when they ski for a while and then stop and shoot at some targets. The guy shot the wrong targets so I guess it could happen to the best of us.
Old October 2, 2017, 02:15 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

"...two rounds through the roof..." Means the RO wasn't doing his job.
As I recall, cross shooting is grounds for disqualification in a match. Simply thrown out if deliberate otherwise.
Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, CCR and Hendrix aren't classic rock. Well, maybe Credence. snicker.
Old October 2, 2017, 02:26 PM   #28
kenny53

I have had people shoot my steel targets as well. Now I only use my steel when I go to the desert. The only people shooting out there are with me. But my son decided it would fun to shoot some spinners (hand gun only) with 7.62 x54R AP ammo. I didn't say much but I did send him a link on Amazon for a new spinner. He got the hint and bought it.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:28 PM   #29
jugornot

I was taking an intro to long range precision shooting, it was really an equipment check. The first thing we did on the range was 25 yards. I'm thinking what the heck. I was shooting my savage model 12 ftr and had a bad day. My target was .22 tall and maybe .25 wide. I usually shoot about .5" at 100 yards. The instructor asked me if I was trying to piss him off and what was I doing there. The range owner told him it was a prerequisite for the other courses. I was the only group (3 shot) under 2". I have been to the range almost weekly for the past 18 months and I have not seen anyone come near to my targets. I know their there just haven't seen them. I see the target stands all shot to pieces and I think "who is doing this?" Oh and 2 of the students couldn't get on the paper 24"x36" at 25 yards. I didn't follow up with the classes because the ruled no 223. The course only went to 600 yards. They didn't let three shoot at 100 yards.
Old October 4, 2017, 11:12 PM   #30
Mr. Hill

I was practicing at the outdoor range last week. I got the crosshairs of my scope centered on the target and was about to pull the trigger, and observed a bullet hitting the ground right next to my target stand, which was pretty distracting. I then took the shot. My buddy was spotting through binoculars for me, and said with a puzzled look, "did you shoot twice"? This was amusing, because I was shooting a bolt action hunting rifle, one round at a time. This happened a couple of times. I took a break, stood behind the line, and observed a guy and his son 2 lanes to my left fiddling with the scope on their rifle. When the guy kept telling his son that the scope had "run out of adjustment", I finally understood what was going on.
Old October 6, 2017, 03:42 PM   #31
cw308

I shoot at 200 yards bench rest only with my 308 , the shooter to my left was shooting 6 mm at 100 yards . He had a 5 shot one ragged hole group going on when I said to him , sorry I was shooting at your target . Only jokingly , you should have seen the look on his face priceless. At my range the targets are all different , easy to spot your own target . All the ports are numbered at the bench & target mount. Bench 8 Target 8
Old October 7, 2017, 12:04 AM   #32
Rob228

Quote:
As I recall, cross shooting is grounds for disqualification in a match. Simply thrown out if deliberate otherwise.
Definitely depends on the match, I've typically heard that the shooter who shot the target that was not theirs receives 0's and the shooter with extra holes gets the highest point value of the rounds in their target.
Old October 7, 2017, 12:21 AM   #33
NateKirk

I recall my brother mentioned once that he missed his expert marksman badge or whatever in basic training because he accidentally took his first few shots at the shooters target next to him. When there aren't defined lanes it's easy to get mixed up at distance, at least for me.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old October 7, 2017, 02:00 AM   #34
armoredman

We don't have defined lanes or target numbers for annual qualification, and once in a great while someone will pop a round in the wrong target. When someone scores a 252 and the top possible is 250, you know what happened.
Old October 7, 2017, 02:39 AM   #35
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I recall my brother mentioned once that he missed his expert marksman badge or whatever in basic training because he accidentally took his first few shots at the shooters target next to him. When there aren't defined lanes it's easy to get mixed up at distance, at least for me.
Probably depends upon the situation.
The idiot next to me shot the target of the idiot next to him, during final qualification in basic training.
Both had to re-shoot. Neither should have had a chance. But there were so few rounds on the one target that they allowed it!
(Both idiots were sent on to job training after basic, to allow for further weapons training and qualification once at their duty station. )

Under certain circumstances, I can see it happening. But I've never done it.
In 2006, I actually shot an 'Expert' score with a gas mask on, while in 3-round burst. 25-yard qualification is not difficult as long as the barrel is the same caliber as the bullets...
Old October 7, 2017, 02:45 AM   #36
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
25-yard qualification is not difficult as long as the barrel is the same caliber as the bullets...
At first I thought you was joking but after reflecting on your post some more Im not entirely sure you didn't mean it's a common problem lol
Old October 7, 2017, 04:53 AM   #37
armoredman

I know sworn officers who have difficulty hitting a B27 at 25 yards because they psyche themselves out.
Old October 7, 2017, 09:59 AM   #38
Ricklin

Guy next to me qualified expert

We had one day on the range in USAF BMT. Twas the only time I handled a weapon in the USAF.
Targets too close together, yup I shot the guy's target to my right. It was quite difficult to figure out which was which at 100. No not all the rounds, just some of them....
He got a cute little ribbon, he did not deserve it but what the hell. He probably went on to security police, and I did not. That's a very good thing.
Old October 7, 2017, 10:37 AM   #39
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic Bang View Post
The folks in the lane to my left were hitting my targets. So annoyed.

How can you be such a bad shot? Even a person two or three lanes to my left who was firing a rifle hit my target.

Have you ever had this happen? I have never been to this range before.. I went because they were having a big advertised sale today and I wanted to see the prices.. cause I am thinking bout getting a new gun

Is it dangerous if somebody is so bad they can't hit there own target?
You say they were having a big sale. This tells me there may have been new guns, being sighted in by folks having a hard time getting them on their own paper. If this was a 100 yard range, hitting a target several feet to either side of POA with a new rifle, not close to being sighted in, is entirely possible, even with experienced shooters that are proficient shots. With new rifles I generally shoot as close as 15 yards to get "on paper" and then slowly increase the distance to make sure I remain "on paper". But this is a ranges where I have the ability to do so, and at times when there is no one else there. One reason I enjoy having my own range to shoot on.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:45 PM   #40
FrankenMauser

Quote:
At first I thought you was joking but after reflecting on your post some more Im not entirely sure you didn't mean it's a common problem lol
It was a many-faceted remark.
Everything from face value, to people using the wrong ammunition, to barrels being so shot-out that the shooter would be better off with a blow gun.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:24 PM   #41
Armed_Chicagoan

I was at a range today that has overhead concrete baffles to keep bullets from flying over the berm. A woman shooting a pistol 2 lanes over from me hit the baffle twice on a single magazine... and the baffles in the rifle part are pockmarked from bullets and patches. It's supposed to be a $50 fine for hitting the baffle. It's amazing how bad at shooting some people are! The baffles are at least 6 feet higher than the target stands.
Old October 8, 2017, 12:46 AM   #42
armoredman

The indoor range I worked at years ago had the same issue, including people shooting down the string running the target carrier, blowing out the lights BEHIND baffles, etc. We had bullet scars on every conceivable surface down range, and at least one bullet hole in each bench.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:14 AM   #43
brasscollector

I remember going to the indoor range a few towns over during a cold winter a few years back. During the intro/tour the RO was running through the rules, "do not go downrange during live fire". Me and my friend looked at each other and then simultaneously looked at the RO. He said, "I've got to mention it, we've had it happen before."
Old October 8, 2017, 07:07 PM   #44
cw308

Indoor ranges , when you look at the sealing , bench & side walls ,every one has at least one bullet hole in it , looks like a grenade went off. I guess we can call then A Holes .
Old October 8, 2017, 08:00 PM   #45
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscollector View Post
I remember going to the indoor range a few towns over during a cold winter a few years back. During the intro/tour the RO was running through the rules, "do not go downrange during live fire". Me and my friend looked at each other and then simultaneously looked at the RO. He said, "I've got to mention it, we've had it happen before."
“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

- H.L. Mencken
Old October 8, 2017, 10:26 PM   #46
Mike38

Just yesterday a guy to my right was hitting my target. His target was set at 5 yards, mine at 25 yards. He must have been hitting his way left, or missing his on the left and hitting mine. I could tell the hits were his, I was shooting a .45 and he was shooting a 9mm.

Also, at this same range, the ceiling is kind of low, at about 7 feet. If you look up while standing on the firing line, you can see hits on the ceiling at about only 5 feet down range from the line. They progressively get more frequent the farther down range. Now when I first started shooting pistols back many a moon ago, I admit I was not very good. But hitting the ceiling 5 feet in front of you? That is bad, real bad.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:35 PM   #47
FrankenMauser

Stupidity is like evil. It is ever-present, spreads like a virus, and never ceases to amaze.

The last indoor range that I went to hadn't been refurbished in probably 20 years. Every square inch of wall from the back of the benches forward was pock-marked. Even the walls behind the benches, the air ducts overhead, the back walls, the window, and the door had bullet holes or pock marks in them.

Ironically... When I checked in, the guy at the counter suggested I use bay #4, because they had just replaced that bench and the rubber side mats a few days prior. After entering the range, I walked up to the bay and noted that their 'brand new' bench already had two bullet holes through it...
Old October 9, 2017, 07:14 AM   #48
redlightrich

Unfortunately, anytime people gather, regardless of the activity, there are various levels of rudeness, incompetence, and outright ignorance.

However, you can also always find good, kind and careful people.

I, personally dislike when people shoot across lanes, whether or not they are clearly marked. It is simply too dangerous in a group setting.

:-/
Old October 9, 2017, 12:51 PM   #49
bamaranger

for the record

Through my career, we shot biannual qualifications, typically on an outdoor range, in firing lines at 3, 7, 15 and 25 yds. There was always a bit of competion to see who could shoot the best score, and who could clean a target.
If somebody was on my nerves, or needed a bit of a takedown, I'd occassionally crossfire and put a round outside the scoring ring on their target and never let on.

Hillarious!!!!!! Just don't laugh and you might not get caught. Trick is to get a good rathole going in the center of your target before you crossfire. If the RO sees you're a round short, you're busted. With a rathole, your "missing" round went in there.........I'm sure it did.
Old October 10, 2017, 08:28 PM   #50
Sequins

As long as it's not intentional I'd keep it friendly and maybe even offer some advice if the person was receptive. Not everyone wants to be "told what to do" but I'm a pretty friendly guy and often have success offering light assistance. Many people are terrible shots and TBH I'm glad they're at the range to try and improve. I started out pretty bad myself and really it's a learned skill so all anyone can do is practice and receive guidance from those more skilled than themselves.

What scares me are people who are intentionally shooting other targets. If the RO won't throw those people out, I'd prefer to leave.