The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 7, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
ZeSpectre

Talk to me about Crossbreed holsters

I've been a OWB carrier for a while now but having noticed certain advantages to IWB carry I thought it was time to revisit the issue and see where things stood.

First I went out and bought a very cheap, clip on, IWB holster just to test basic proof of concept and was surprised to find that even the cheap holster was reasonably comfortable and gave me a fairly "confident" carry platform. It also highlighted the items (such as padding over my hip bone and a strong forward cant) that I feel would make a good IWB holster for me.

So, armed with that test knowledge I began searching the web to see what holsters might "fit the bill" and finally came down to a couple of Galco designs, and the Crossbreed "Supertuck".

Reviews seemed good for the Crossbreed (including this review on TFL) but all of the reviews I found were 2-3 years old.

So how about NOW, can anyone currently useing a Crossbreed holster tell me how they are holding up and how you like them?
Old September 7, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2
rantingredneck

Ze,

I've been using a couple of crossbreeds for a few months now. I have a Supertuck for my Ruger P345 and a minituck for my LCP. They both work great and offer a comfort barrier between me and the gun while not adding a lot of extra thickness to the package. I intend to buy another for my SP101.

I have one of his belts as well. I got it on one of the sales he does on XD Talk. I do not like it as well as my Beltman. Not as stiff. But still worth the 35.00 I paid for it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 7, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Oh and definitely upgrade to the horsehide backing. My supertuck has it, my minituck doesn't and I wish it did. Just a nicer feel to it and I expect it'll last longer.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 7, 2009, 09:04 AM   #4
litework

I love my Crossbreed Supertuck. I can easily and comfortably conceal a very large double stack .45 with it. I had gone away from IWB holsters in favor of OWB for comfort. I recently decided to try out the Supertuck and it isn't bad at all. Very comfy.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:13 AM   #5
teeroux

If you want to hide a full size gun there is no better choice imo. I carry an xd-45 in a supertuck all day long not a moment in discomfort.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:38 AM   #6
ZeSpectre

I'm finding extra encouragement in hearing from folks in places like VA and LA (with the wet/sticky hot weather we get) saying they like the Crossbreed.
Old September 7, 2009, 02:09 PM   #7
CortJestir

Ze, I have a Crossbreed SupterTuck Deluxe each for my P239, HK45c, and commander 1911, with the oldest being over a year now. They ride very comfortably and secure your handgun nicely - tuckability is also great.

They hold up pretty well. The only issue I had was that I broke the plastic clips twice - but that was more user error than anything else. I called them and they sent me a set of clips for free - got 'em in 2 days. Great service. They have since replaced the plastic clips with metal ones, I believe, so this should not be an issue any longer.

FWIW, I even sold off my Milt Sparks VMII 'cuz it was just sitting in my closet.

Quote:
I'm finding extra encouragement in hearing from folks in places like VA and LA (with the wet/sticky hot weather we get) saying they like the Crossbreed.
Contrary to popular belief, it does get quite hot and humid here in Southern New England during the summer months, and I have found the Crossbreeds to hold up pretty well in the mug and on my sweaty person.
Old September 7, 2009, 03:10 PM   #8
rduckwor

I carry a 1911 commander in mine all day in Southern AL. Best IWB holster I have ever used.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Oldfalguy

I am using one with a HK P7M8 and my only gripe is a little one-
Mine has checkered wood grips and they do rub my side when sitting in the car-
So what I might do is trace out on paper something larger and cut out another piece of leather and then re-rivet the holster to it or send it back to cross breed and have them make me another one from horsehide.
Didn't realize the horsehide was available or would have been any softer-my bad.
Mark
Old September 12, 2009, 08:15 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to order one today.

(p.s. - In horsehide)
Old September 20, 2009, 10:39 PM   #11
sspanky

I ordered my supertuck tuesday and it was in my mailbox saturday!
I put it on this morning and wore it 'till 9:30pm tonight-seems very comfortable so far. I'm carrying a Kimber ultra carry.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:46 PM   #12
redstategunnut

I have two supertucks (1911 and G19/G32) and one minituck (PM9), all horsehide. I live in a hot, sticky southern state. Since I bought my Crossbreed IWB holsters, I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars of top shelf IWB holsters sitting in a drawer. The Crossbreeds are by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn.
Old September 30, 2009, 05:04 PM   #13
KCEsq

I have the CrossBreed Supertuck for my Taurus PT 1911 (Go Taurus!!!). I cannot explain how comfortable the CB is even after carrying all day. You can't go wrong with the CB
Old September 30, 2009, 05:50 PM   #14
wahsben

I have 3 of the regular IWB's from Crossbreed and they are the most comfortable holsters I have.