The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 1999, 08:23 PM   #1
Daren Thompson

I have been wanting to purchase a machine gun. Due to the cost of such gun I have serously taken a look at Macs due to their price. I would like to purchase one ar the next Knob Creek machine gun shoot. My questions are, they any good? What is the diference between the Mac10 and 11? I just want a relable bullet hose not wanting it for marksmanship accuracy, however I would like to hit the broad side of a barn. What does everybody think ? Buy or save for better?
Thanks
Later
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren Thompson (edited 01-12-99).]
Old January 13, 1999, 12:52 AM   #2
danbrew

Hmmm... buy now, or save up and buy later? Well, they ain't going to get any cheaper. Just in the past two years prices have skyrocketed. I suppose if it were me, I'd set my sights on something and save a little to get what I really wanted.

BTW, you don't have to wait until the Creek to purchase a Mac10/11 - you can do so now & hopefully by the time the Creek rolls around you will have the paperwork approved so you can shoot it. You can't just pick one up and take it home the day you buy it...

Regards,
danbrew :->
Old January 13, 1999, 03:05 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I may be mistaken, but originally the Mac10 was a .45 ACP or 9mm weapon and the Mac11 was .380 ACP. Both weapons were designed to be used with the Sionics noise suppressor. I also think a semiautomatic only Mac11 in 9mm was also produced.

Difference was in the size. Mac10 bigger. Mac11 smaller. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old January 13, 1999, 03:14 AM   #4
Rob Pincus

That is all ture, Gary... I can add that there are three sizes, .45, 9mm and .380. I am under the impression that there were actaully no full-auto 9mms in the original design, but that has been the most popular of the semi-autos.

Daren,

I started my thread before you edited your original post, apparently we were both thinking about the same question, I'm gonna close my thread and we'll continue the discussion of economical FA here....

Old January 13, 1999, 01:12 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rob,

You're right about cyclic rates varying on SMGs. A lot depends on the cleanliness of the gun and the ammunition quality (hot). Like choosing your equipment for your mission, you should choose your ammunition.

Gary

Old January 13, 1999, 09:22 PM   #6
Daren Thompson

I will personally lean towards 9mm Ammo is cheaper

Later
Daren
Old January 13, 1999, 11:15 PM   #7
danbrew

Yeah, your planned usage scenario will certainly dictate what you get. Most important thing to remember is that *something* is going to stoke you -- that should be what you get. My point in my last msg was to not settle for something that is your 2nd choice because you probably will not be happy with it.

Some folks get turned on by M10/11, M16s, MP5s, C&R guns, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

But I wouldn't advise you to get any old gun just 'cause it's a machinegun.

I take a somewhat pragmatic approach to buying machineguns -- first, it has to be something that does it for me. Second, I select my purchase based upon my fun $$$ situation and I also purchase this gun as if it were to be my last. Gotta figure that the CLEO is going to stop signing at the worst possible time. Granted, I could form a corporation and purchase in the name of the corp, but for now, this is easier.

Speaking of... that should probably be a thread in and of itself. I'm going to shoot myself in the foot here... if I were the CLEO, I probably wouldn't sign for people because of the political fallout if something *bad* happened. I realize there have not yet been any successful lawsuits against a CLEO for signing, but I believe it to just be a matter of time.

Thoughts?