The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 29, 2009, 11:47 PM   #476
bignz

Keep an eye on this website (I promise I have no interest in this business). They have a steady stream of primers available (but no small pistol which is why I don't mind giving up the source).

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Primers.htm
Old June 30, 2009, 12:23 AM   #477
Mello2u

bignz,

I've had a backorder with Cabelas for large rifle primers since March.

Update:
Got a confirmation from Midway that my order shipped today June 30th.

July 2 Update: UPS delivered the primers this morning!!!!! I can finally reload some ammo for my .450 Marlin.
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; July 2, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old June 30, 2009, 11:00 PM   #478
Sabot

Ordered CCI small pistol primers from Cabelas 06-06-09, 2-3 weeks tentative shipping date. Got an e-mail from them today, 07-30-09 tentative shipping date.
Old July 1, 2009, 11:35 PM   #479
circuit rider

Hope I'm stocked up

Drove over the road 16 yrs, retired in jan '09. Wife used to get onto me, would always come home with a couple pounds of powder, or couple bricks, or brass, bullets,etc. Glad I did. Did inventory couple days ago, 25,000 primers, 41 lbs. smokeless, 32 lbs. BP, 8,000 or so various bullets, 400lbs. lead etc. At my age I think that will do. Circuit Rider
Old July 2, 2009, 07:30 AM   #480
SnowNCycle

Cabela's Order

Same problem here Sabot and Mello. I ordered 70,000 assorted primers from Cabela's in March. Got 5,000 Large Pistol in April and have not seen any others since. My original ship date was 5/30, then 6/30 and just a few days ago was pushed back again until 7/24. Who knows. I am totally out and refuse to pay $50 or 60/1,000. I just do not have the time to go all over to my "local" shops (the closest is 30 minutes away) every few days to check on stock. I just started reloading last year and have had limited experience due to limited supplies. My powder orders keep getting pushed back, too, which, without primers doesn't matter as much I suppose.

All I can do to keep shooting is continue to stop by my local WM and see what I can get already loaded. Oh, wait, sorry, that is for another thread.

The second amendment is not about hunting.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:03 AM   #481
Mike Irwin
Staff

THIRTY TWO POUNDS of black powder?

Holy crap, I hope you have a powder bunker away from the house!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #482
bignz

32lb. BP

Having a bunch of powder sitting around worked out well for the USS Maine.
Old July 4, 2009, 03:44 PM   #483
gunorthopod

pistol primers

Does anybody have information as to when pistol primers will be available again?Has government anything to do with the situation or are the reloaders hoarding?
Old July 4, 2009, 03:58 PM   #484
Sabot

There are all kinds of conspiracy theories going around as to why this is happening. The latest one I heard was that an investment group tied in with Ben & Jerry's ice cream bought 10,000,000 primers and then had them destroyed.

It's probably a combination of hoarding, and people buying up large lots for reselling at a higher price. I've been looking everywhere for small pistol primers and can't find any either.
Old July 4, 2009, 04:00 PM   #485
Mello2u

Deleted by me since this thread was moved and I was making reference to this thread.
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; July 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: pertinence
Old July 4, 2009, 04:24 PM   #486
Lost Sheep

Primer shortage?

Short answer: No. Not to a large degree. And it won't last.

Caveat: I know nothing of this first hand, but I have read on many threads on this an other forums (sorry, I do not have the web addresses, but "Google" will yield a plethora). But I do have this one:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=354922

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354922

Firstly, the primer shortage and the ammunition shortage are locked together. Loaded ammo requires primers-simple. Secondly, (and this is an assumption) the difference between pistol primers and rifle primers is immaterial to their production capacity. That is, primer production is fungible.

I have read that the primer production lines are running at full capacity. Primer and ammunition manufacturers are not increasing production capacity because they believe the shortage will not last long enough to defray the cost of adding production lines or new factories (which will wind up being unused excess capacity when the shortage is over). It is a reasonable economic decision, not influenced by conspiracy.

The Defense Department is consuming a lot of primers to supply the war efforts. Expect this to last as long as the fighting does.

New gun owners also buy ammunition. Expect this to taper off. Sadly, many new gun buyers do not practice a lot. They should.

Some hoarding may be taking place, both of primers and of loaded ammunition. Hoarding for profit is notoriously prone to failure (Ask the Hunt Brothers.) and hoarding for use seldom has stamina. Expect this to taper off., if it had any effect to begin with.

Law enforcement agencies consume a lot of ammo training and qualifying and have been running on inventories over the past year. They will have to replenish their training and practice ammo. Reportedly, many keep large inventories on hand, which are now reather depleted. Expect (when availability returns) this replenishment to extend the shortage, then taper off.

So, when the war consumption ends, the new gun owners slow down on their practising and L.E. agencies replenish their inventories, the shortage will disappear, but not as fast as we would like.

There may be "hoarders" and/or speculators who dump their inventories, but I would not expect that to be a major factor. "Hoarders" who use this stuff will simply use it up over time. Speculators will not dump at a loss, at least (I imagine) not in large quantities. Don't expect any price drops below the prices of 2007, but stabilization somewhere close to, but slightly higher than that level. The manufacturers will have a lot of deferred maintenance and overtime to catch up on and there will be general inflation, of course.

Lost Sheep
Old July 4, 2009, 04:31 PM   #487
Lost Sheep

Ben & Jerry's myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot
There are all kinds of conspiracy theories going around as to why this is happening. The latest one I heard was that an investment group tied in with Ben & Jerry's ice cream bought 10,000,000 primers and then had them destroyed.
Sabot is right. Think about it. Ben & Jerry's is now a publicly traded company. Their books have to be audited and are open to all stockholders. It would be awfully hard to hide a quarter-million to half-million dollar expenditure for primers in an ice cream operation.

If an investment group had that kind of money to throw away on what amounts to a harrassment exercise - well, I wish all our foes were that stupid.

Lost Sheep.
Old July 4, 2009, 06:47 PM   #488
circuit rider

BP storage

It's in original cans, inside sealed ammo cans, in a secluded, cool, dry place.
Old July 4, 2009, 06:57 PM   #489
Technosavant

I've started to see handgun and rifle primers start showing up again; mainly CCI and Remington ones.

I think we're on the downhill slope of this one- there's only so much that the "hoarders" (I remember when folks said "buy it cheap and stack it deep"- now they're hoarders) want to store and are able to use anytime soon. Rumors of bans/encoding/other stupid crap seem to have died down as well, and that's keeping new folks from buying it all up the moment it hits the shelves. I expect availability to improve gradually through the next few months.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:12 AM   #490
Mike Irwin
Staff

10 million primers?

Hell, that's hardly a drop in the bucket of US supply and demand.

10 million a week? That might have an impact.

But, ultimately, another ludicrous conspiracy theory that has no basis in fact.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 12:11 PM   #491
Harleyfixer

The US military and the Iraq military just put in orders for a combined 72 Million rounds of small arms ammo. Expect things to stay tght for a while.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:52 PM   #492
.50FAN

Come to think of it . . . .

. . . aren't all fired primers and brass already "micro-stamped"?? By your firing-pin and extractor. Don't leave home without them.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:54 PM   #493
RickV

From Powder Valley's website:

We are due to receive a primer shipment from Wolf on July 15. Wolf has provided us with a list of what items we will receive. Based on this information all customers who have a backorder dating June 30 or before should be shipped within one week of Powder Valley receiving the primers. Wolf had a 25% price increase on their primers. All primers will be shipped at the new price.

And their price is still only going to be $25.50 per 1000. I have 10K on backorder since mid-april. No ripping people off.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:15 PM   #494
bignz

Looks like Wideners got the same Wolf shipment as Powder Valley. Most sizes are available.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737
Old August 3, 2009, 06:13 PM   #495
trespass

when can we buy ammo again!

tried ables, natchez, midway, etc..nobody has any handgun ammo available. 357 mag is virtually impossible to find, particularly in the most useful brands and weights. I read the production slowed with the military stopping used brass sales to manufacturiers when Obama came into office, but also read that the brass is being supplied again. Also, was a rush to
stockpile with the Obama election, but that was 8 months ago! Anybody
know what deal is now and what to expect for rest of year on ammunition for handguns? thanks.
Old August 3, 2009, 06:20 PM   #496
hoytinak

Quote:
Anybody
know what deal is now and what to expect for rest of year on ammunition for handguns?
Hold on a sec, let's ask the magic 8 ball.....it's reads "cannot predict now". There, that's the best I could do.
Old August 3, 2009, 06:50 PM   #497
whippoorwill

Does that magic eight-ball know who's going to win the Red River Rivalry this fall? OT I know, but couldn't resist after seeing your two states!
Old August 3, 2009, 07:16 PM   #498
Bud Helms

I will be silent.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:22 PM   #499
whippoorwill

Thanks, Bud! My mind drifted away from the all too familiar ammo availability topic.

BTW, on a visit to Ohio last week, I visited a large sporting goods store that had tons of ammo of all kinds. And, the price wasn't too bad. Not Wal-Mart prices, but not bad at all.

Last edited by whippoorwill; August 3, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:44 PM   #500
oneounceload

Local gun stores have a LOT of ammunition - if you are willing to pay their price.......$38/50 rounds of American Eagle (Federal) 45 ACP......$10/ box of 20 for Wolf steel .223

Gander Mountain has a LOT of stuff as well - even higher priced than the local store