The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 19, 2009, 03:28 AM   #251
Dan The Sig Man

Well I think my Local place is doing the best thing I could think of... That is limiting each buyer to 1,000, nothing more than that. It is going to give the next guy a chance to get his hands on some and that is the way I FINALLY got my hands on a thousand... When the guy behind the counter told me that, I said well sel me a thousand and that will last me atleast 2 months or more, and than I will come back and get another. SMART move in my book.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:02 AM   #252
Wulfmann

I have always had the notion if I can buy something today that will be good in 5 years and by doing so I will save money and not have to look for it (I hate shopping) then I am going to do it.
Almost every LR primer I have I have had for over 2 years, in fact every LR primer period and most for 5 years plus.

I switched from 9MM to 45ACP in 2006 as my only pistol round so I bought an inventory of LP primers (and traded other primers with guys that wanted SP or SR etc).

Nothing I did had anything to do with this panic.
This is always how I inventory items whether it be food, hobby supplies you name it.

I changed eating habits to be more healthy and started using Millet and Buckwheat which go good with black beans.
I ordered 60 pounds of Millet and Buckwheat each and bought 100 cans of black beans. I am not hording, I just don't have to shop for those for a year.
I buy all my Cocoa for a full year and have toilet paper inventoried for a full year.
Bullets don't go bad so I have 12K 30 cal and 6K 45 as well as many others including calibers I have no guns for (I know they are out there searching for my gun safe).

You see I do not have to buy anything right now and I don't have a primer that I have paid more than 1 cent each for and many much less.

I was not doing this because of Obama, i was just buying advanced inventory because simple economics dictates this stuff will cost more in the future and I will not be making the money then to pay higher prices.

And, I am delighted I am well stocked because, IMO, this will all come to an end and prices will drop so either there will be a ban, a high tax, further intrusive regulation restricting access and I have enough to shoot or prices will crash as the economy collapses (dare I suggest the Messiah won't save us?) and I will be buying those $50.00 per K primers for $10.00 again.

It is nice to be prepared and those grasshoppers that were not can throw all the moronic names at those of us who planned ahead all they want.
We will just smile. We know the truth.
And while this truth of primer won't set you free the fact I shoot primers that average a half a cent brings a tear to me eye, lads!!!

Wulfmann
Old April 19, 2009, 10:33 AM   #253
webby4x4

Quote:
The military has their own munitions plants
Are you sure about this? My buddy works at the shooting range at one of the largest military bases and there ammunition (9mm, .223, 12 g. etc.) all comes from standard manufacturers (they're brown labeled, of course, but the brass is stamped "Win", etc. I understand that they are made to different specs than civilian loads, but he told me that they are made by the same manufacturers that we buy from.

And yes... he's "My" buddy... not a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.

Rick
Old April 19, 2009, 12:11 PM   #254
Dan The Sig Man

Well I know for a Fact when I was in the Marine Corp... We shot Winchester AMMO... Now unless the Military OWNS Winchester, I would say that Winchester made the Ammo for the Military. I have NEVER heard about the Armed Forces having thier own facility that makes thier ammo, I think you very mistaken. The last I read (Other than a Forum) is that Win, Fed and a couple others ARE behind on the Military CONTRACTS for AMMO.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:59 PM   #255
levrluvr

Quote:
I have NEVER heard about the Armed Forces having thier own facility that makes thier ammo, I think you very mistaken.
"Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition Co., LLC is a subsidiary of Alliant Techsystems (ATK) who among other things manufacture military ammunition. They own the CCI and Federal premium brands. In the fiscal year 2008 ATK’s annual report says “military small-caliber ammunition business again delivered more than 1.4 billion rounds to our nation’s armed forces.”.

ATK won the government owned Lake City Army Ammunition Plant operating contract in 2000 and took over from Olin (Winchester) in 2001 who were the operating contract since 1985."

Dan, OK. I'm VERY mistaken. It's government owned but operated by an independent contractor. They made 1.4 billion rounds in 2008, and were still not able to meet the demand in that year. The requirement for '09 is for 2008's backlog, plus the needs for this year.
The contractor operating the Lake City facility also owns CCI and Federal, and both companies manufacture primers. Presently, there is unprecedented public demand for primers. Who gets them first, the public, or the military? I think most folks, especially those looking for SRP's, have already found out the answer to that question.
Jim
Old April 20, 2009, 04:28 PM   #256
tiberius10721

there is no way the govt could have their own ammunition plants.they cant efficiantly make anything!All ammo is being allocated to the military!This is a scary situation because the govt can afford to buy up all the ammo they want for as long as they want!Think about it folks within a matter of a few weeks our guns have been turned into paperwieghts!Ive seen people go to the local gun store and buy a handgun with no ammo available.At first my local walmart ran out of ammo.Now gunstores here in central california are running out of ammo.Im not shooting anymore until this resolves itself and I refuse to buy stuff at rediculous prices.Take a step back dont let yourself get ripped off!Lets start a movement where we dont buy reloading supplies.that will bring prices down!
Old April 20, 2009, 04:33 PM   #257
tiberius10721

If everybody continues to buy stuff at over inflated prices we could make these price changes permanent or last for years.Im switching to black powder products until this inflation nonsense is over!I just hope everybody else doesnt do the same thing
Old April 20, 2009, 10:01 PM   #258
levrluvr

tiberius- I agree with you. As long as the frenzy continues (like people lined up for miles waiting for gas), this thing is nearly in perpetual motion. They have absolutely no reason to increase production when demand is this high. Why disturb their profit margins with higher overhead?
I've already seen the new MSRP's on primers, and all of them are in the low $40 range/1000. I'm still shooting because I have components to do so, but there is a reserve that I simply will not touch, and when and if I get down to that, my shooting will cease until and if I can rebuild stock.
Meanwhile, take the suggestion of the store owners and distributors- if you see it, and can stomach the asking price, buy it!
Old April 21, 2009, 07:48 AM   #259
Randolph_Howell

cabella's has primers

or the website says they do. I ordered some on 3/20/09 with a 2 week shipping backorder.
price was $29.99 per thousand with a $20 Haz Mat fee.
Old April 21, 2009, 09:50 AM   #260
Dan The Sig Man

Cabela's says that MagTech Primers will be backordered and it is 0-1 week for deliever. I dont know if that is true or not, but might be a little pin hole of light in the Tunnel.
Old April 21, 2009, 06:51 PM   #261
hounddawg

bah I ordered some primers from Cabella's on back order when they get here they get here. Still have enough to shoot the small stuff for another month or so and enough for my .45 to get me by for two to three months. Taking my Buckmark to the range Thursday and I was eying a little Savage .22LR target rifle in the shop today. The rimfire stuff is looking better and better.

I bet the anti gun politicians are laughing their tails off right now. They did not have to introduce much less pass a single anti gun law and we have managed to create our own crisis through this panic buying BS.

Edit BTW The NSSF, National Shooting Sports Foundation, did siome research and called some of the manufacturers and they are running 24 and 7 trying to keep up. Here is a link to the article in Buckmasters

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resour...-Shortage.aspx

By the way I refuse to pay inflated prices for primers, in another three months they will be selling for 20 a thousand just to get em off the shelves and out of the warehouses because some fools bought them for 40 and 50 a thousand and have their garages half full of em.

Last edited by hounddawg; April 21, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:13 PM   #262
tiberius10721

I have about 6 thousand primers Im not buying anymore!I just stopped shooting my modern day firearms.switched to black powder guns.can always find stuff for them
Old April 21, 2009, 07:49 PM   #263
Dan The Sig Man

Well I have just over 1,000 and He** my reloader isnt even here yet. I have more primers than I do Bullets (Which is sitting at zero...LOL) Guess I should get busy buying some bullets for .40 cal to load when my press gets here.

So I guess I can wait another couple months for the Prices to clear up and than buy 3-4 thousand and start shooting IDPA and USPSA. Wanted to start that before it got hot, but doesnt look like it happened. It was 95 yesterday and 98 today in Fresno.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:21 AM   #264
tpcollins

How I got some small pistol primers

I'm having the same problems as everyone but was able to snatch up 1000 LR at a local sporting goods store - duh. But there were no small pistol primers to be found.

So I put an ad on Craig's List for my area that I wanted to buy or trade for some small pistol primers. I stated I had about 700 CCI #250 magnum LR and 227 SR primers for trade. I got two replies. Sunday on my way up north turkey hunting I met a guy at an exit and traded 400 magnum LR for 400 SP. When I come home this Saturday, I'm meeting another guy at a different intersection to trade my 227 SR primers for some more SP primers.

It worked for me during this shortage.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:24 AM   #265
tpcollins

Used Craig's List to get SP primers

I'm having the same problems as everyone but was able to snatch up 1000 LR at a local sporting goods store - duh. But there were no small pistol primers to be found.

So I put an ad on Craig's List for my area that I wanted to buy or trade for some small pistol primers. I stated I had about 700 CCI #250 magnum LR and 227 SR primers for trade. I got two replies. Sunday on my way up north turkey hunting I met a guy at an exit and traded 400 magnum LR for 400 SP. When I come home this Saturday, I'm meeting another guy at a different intersection to trade my 227 SR primers for some more SP primers.

It worked for me during this shortage.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:53 PM   #266
Luciano

Thanks for sharing
Old April 22, 2009, 08:47 PM   #267
chicadaudow

shortage and then some

Its not just the the primers and other components i can't even get the tools dies and shell holders where are all those going surly ppl aren't stockpilling them too
Old April 22, 2009, 09:44 PM   #268
Bang-Bang

The bad side to all of this is that we do not have the items we need to reload as usual ex...primers and powder. The good side of it is there will be a lot of good used reloading components to buy from new people that get into the hobby of reloading. I have seen it a lot were people buy things and then after a few months to a year without a lot of use and the interest is no longer there, they end up selling the items. Should find some good deals from all of the new equipment that is being bought.

Don't get me wrong I welcome new guys into reloading because a shooter should be able to reload their own ammo but I also enjoy getting the good deals as well. hint, hint.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:32 AM   #269
CTpistol

I too have gone on craigslist to trade pistol primers for rifle primers...maybe this will work!
Old April 23, 2009, 08:28 AM   #270
Kawabuggy

I thought Craigslist banned the sell, or trading, of guns, or reloading related items.

For the record, I too have found some items on my local Craigslist. Everyone that sells there uses code words to hide what they are really selling. It takes a while to figure out how to find what you are looking for. I really lucked out and found a life-time supply of 22-250 brass & bullets there from a guy that has been reloading all of his life, and now wants to retire.

So yes, it can be done. But, don't get discouraged if you can't find what you are looking for right away. Be creative in your search terms
Old April 23, 2009, 03:38 PM   #271
James R. Burke

There is only a few ways to stop the price's from rising when the supply comes back. No 1.) Dont pay it. But people will, and in a way I can't blame them if there new to it, or need it for comp shooting they dont have to much to choose from. I figure the supply will come back when people get what they want, run out of money doing it, or find out nothing is going to change. But if things do change then what?
Old April 23, 2009, 03:50 PM   #272
Mattp27

Some primers instock at midwayusa.com

Just an FYI midwayusa.com has some Remington large rifle and remington small mag pistol primers. They had some small rifle but I was about 1 hour late on calling in!!!! Just thought I would let anyone know that's hurting for primers.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:50 PM   #273
vonnieglen

I have ordered primers from Cabelas starting in February when I couldn't find any locally. They are one of the only online retailers currently allowing the back-ordering primers. They have trickled in a box or two at a time. Unfortunately the estimated time until they ship keeps increasing on some of them. I have recieved half of the primers I ordered on March 4th. Unfortunately some, like the SR and SPMs are now not expected until the end of May. Other than the SR which I ran out of a month ago, I have got enough to keep me out at the range for the next few months. I have already used about half of what I have received. I thought the shortage would clear up by summer, but now I am not so sure.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:52 PM   #274
Jekyll

5 pm: sitting at my desk and notice Midway has large pistol primers so I hit the purchase button and enter my shopping cart page. Then my wife comes home so I stop mid stride and go give her a kiss and chat for 15 minutes.

5:15 pm: back to my desk and go from shopping cart to check out and I get a message saying "Shopping Cart is Empty".

5:16 pm: go back to primer page and the primers are marked as "Out of Stock"

5:17 pm: Call Midway and am told "We got some Remington Large Pistol Primers today but, boy did they go fast".

5:40 pm: I recieve my automated email from Midway saying Remington LP primers are in stock.

6:30 pm: my 2nd beer goes pphhhisst as I regain my composure.

You need to be a real Benjamin Button in today's market place.
Old April 23, 2009, 06:32 PM   #275
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Tried to snag 4 boxes of the 5 1/2 Remington primers, I shoot mostly small pistol and am down to my last 1000. Almost had them too. They have me being charged for 4 boxes but they say that I only have 2 ordered. We'll see what they actually send me....