The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 16, 2009, 08:21 PM   #226
tomfish1

Dillon has tons of powder, when I was there today.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:07 PM   #227
sidaemon

Small Pistol Primers?

So some of you are laughing at me right now, but I'm starting to run really low, and its getting to be the busy season for IDPA. I put off buying and frankly I'm paying for it.

I have about 600 on hand, and have about 600 more bullets fully loaded, but frankly, that's not going to last long. Brass and bullets I'm set, powder, less so, but I have enough to last me a good long while.

So does anybody know where I can get small pistol primers, and fairly soon? I have 10000 on back order with Cabellas but I'm thinking its going to be months before I see them. I think about 2000 will do me, but wanting them and getting them are two different things.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for my stupidity, but the $80/thousand that people are getting on gunbroker is not going to happen, at least I'm not going to. I'll drive to Lewiston and rob CCI first...

Okay so I'm so totally kidding about that, if I run out than maybe I can beg some from friends...

Thats when you know someone's a good friend, when they're willing to give up primers for you!
Old April 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #228
Steviewonder1

Primers$$$

I started buying last summer during the primarys as I did not like what I saw. Seen this during the Clinton times and was caught in it, not this time. Took money off the top of my paycheck every 2 weeks and bought primers, powder, once fired brass (still available everywhere cheaply just google it), and bullits. Three weeks ago, went by Zero Bullets in Cullman, Al and bought 5000 FMJ 40cal bullets. Cash in the front door, they load it into my SUV out the back door. PLAN AHEAd...........Go surfin' there is stuff out there, but not much...
Old April 16, 2009, 10:33 PM   #229
sidaemon

Sonnova! Those suckers at Zero owe me and me guys 25000 rounds, and they say that they are backordered! We put in an order and payed more than eight weeks ago, and here I hear that people are walking in the front door and picking stuff up!

Stupid, lying.....
Old April 16, 2009, 10:46 PM   #230
levrluvr

Just make a few calls around to the well-known internet sales sites- it appears that a few are trickling in here and there. Almost all the places I've talked to said they are not even putting anything on the shelves anymore- it goes straight from truck/pallet to an outgoing order. Right place (or phone call) at the right time and you'll pick some up. I just happened to get another 1000 locally by showing up at an old friend's gunshop right after he got a primer/powder delivery- he has put a policy in effect that one person can't buy it all so everyone gets a little- 1000max/person/per day-still sells out in a day.
Old April 17, 2009, 10:46 AM   #231
Alleykat

If you can find small rifle primers, they'll work just fine.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:12 AM   #232
Unclenick
Staff

Rifle primers often have harder cups and won't fire reliably in some handguns; especially those tuned for light triggers. So that's a hit or miss proposition, so to speak.

I suggest you find a number of on-line sellers and put their small pistol primer pages directly into your browser favorites so you can go through them all quickly a couple of times a day until you catch something.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 17, 2009, 11:14 AM   #233
Dan The Sig Man

Sidamon,

I got lucky day before yesterday and got my hands on 1,000 from a local place here in Fresno... But they were only allowing people to buy 1,000. I have thought about going back over there and see if they got anymore back in, but I am at a point to where 1,000 is going to last me a couple months, and I dont want to take away from the next guy. I second the call a few of the More POPULAR online sites and see what you can work up with them. I know that Natchez has been get a couple in from time to time. I would try them first.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:14 AM   #234
FM12

I bought 3k CCI spp@ 27.00/k the other day at a pawn/gun shop. That's all the $$$ i had. Got 5k total now! They wont be around long though. I may use them for tradign or sell some to neddy persons. I saw 1k CCI rifle primes sell for 99.99/k PLUs shipping on gunbroker the other day. Woo Hoo!
Old April 17, 2009, 11:22 AM   #235
Doodlebugger45

About all I can say is to keep checking. When I started reloading a couple months ago, none of the big stores had any. I had just bought everything else I needed to get going but no primers. Luckily a couple buddies each loaned me 100 primers so that I could get started. I kept going to the big stores in Billings, Sheridan, Rapid City, and Casper as I travelled around on business. Absolutely none! Finally, I checked in with the little store in my home town. They had boxes and boxes of primers in every size! They were out of CCI small pistol primers but they had Federals, Winchesters, Remingtons and plenty of them. The manager acted a little embarrassed when he said the price was $39/1000 but he said his wholesaler had increased his prices. I didn't think that was too bad though.

I only bought 2000. I didn't want to get greedy. A couple of my buddies were razzing me telling me I should have bought everything he had and sold them for $60. But that's kinda what's causing the problem.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:22 AM   #236
wncchester

"So some of you are laughing at me right now,"

You mean, like the rest of us know and are just keeping it a secret?

Sheeee, don't tell!
Old April 17, 2009, 05:49 PM   #237
tiberius10721

Im not buying anymore reloading supplies for a while!Its not worth it Ill just sit on what Ive got.Once primers start getting into 40 dollar a brick range thats way to much!
Old April 17, 2009, 08:15 PM   #238
762shooter

primers supply

In my area I can find all sizes of primers in most every gunshop,going for $28-$35 /K. The managers say," better buy it now." Fair supply of powder. Bullets of all types is what is in short supply here. I have failed to find 200grain .45 a.c.p. bullets in lead nor jacketed for months.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:29 PM   #239
ThomasT

Tiberius I'm with you there. I'm not buying anymore either. When I started reloading in the early 80s they were $10 a thousand. Powder was $10 a pound. A box of Speer bullets was $10. Maybe my gunstore got a deal on preprinted stickers with $10 on them. I don't know.

Anyway during the primer scare of the mid 90s I paid $24 a thousand for primers. (I guess they finally ran out of $10 stickers and got a deal on $24 stickers) I thought that was scalper pricing. Its funny what you get used to.

Anyway I have 25,000 primers on hand now and really don't need anymore no more than I get to go shoot. And no, I didn't just buy 25,000 outright. I have been stocking up since Clinton was in office and have never stopped. I just buy a little at a time.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:30 PM   #240
deenag

How long till primers are back in local gun shop's

I have been looking for primers for about two month's and have not had any luck. I know there is alot of panic in the shooting world, but this is just getting a little scary. My local gun shop said if he placed an order today the back order would be 18 month's. Have any of you heard different. I have posted the same question on CCI home page but not sure they will respond.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:36 PM   #241
ar15chase

I am not having much trouble finding them around here. The local gun shop I go to was out of small pistol primers for about 4 days, a couple months ago. They have stayed in stock ever since. Other than that time I havent had any problems finding anything I need for reloading.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:55 PM   #242
deenag

where is shallowater tx? i live near beaumont tx.
Old April 18, 2009, 01:02 PM   #243
ar15chase

It is just outside of Lubbock. Shallowater is a little town, nothing here. But the drive to Lubbock is only about 10mins. Thats were I get all my gun stuff.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 18, 2009, 02:07 PM   #244
tiberius10721

Ive had several gun store owners and other people mention that right now all primers and munitions are being bought up by the military.Has anyone else heard the same thing?
Old April 18, 2009, 02:16 PM   #245
ar15chase

I have never heard that.
Old April 18, 2009, 02:58 PM   #246
dmickey

If all of you idiots would stop your panic buying, the "shortage" would clear up in a matter of weeks!
Old April 18, 2009, 04:29 PM   #247
ar15chase

Watch it there dMickey, Nobody in this thread is talking about stockpiling or panic buying.
Old April 18, 2009, 04:32 PM   #248
the_right_reverend

the clowns down here said all they had was CCI BR2 at $80 a thousand and crieded that the Hazmat fee was so bad on top of that so much for stimulating thier economy
Old April 18, 2009, 05:34 PM   #249
James R. Burke

I am in Green Bay, Wi and Appletong this weekend. I dont need primers but nothing no where. I got just about all the powder I need except for one. I always bought as I needed but learned a lesson this time. As I said before I dont stockpile, and wont. I just get what I need for around a year, just going to pay more attention this time. I dont think the people on here now are hoarding, just getting what they need. If you shoot comp your going thru alot of stuff, and that has always been that way. But if your the reg guy buying doulble what you need then your stockpilling. I feel sorry for the new guys, and the comp shooters out there who can not get what they need. Hope it will pass soon. Dont use the wrong primers either use the ones the manual calls for. If it would work safely they would all be the same but they are not. Keep it Safe!
Old April 19, 2009, 12:11 AM   #250
levrluvr

Quote:
Ive had several gun store owners and other people mention that right now all primers and munitions are being bought up by the military.Has anyone else heard the same thing?
I've heard similar things from owners, but the military isn't buying ALL primers and munitions.
The military has their own munitions plants, but the primers are supplied by the same mfg.s we use. They were backlogged on their orders to the military in 2008 for small rifle primers and never caught up. Throw in this public frenzy, and you have the mess seen today. The small rifle primer shortage will continue for quite some time- many orders being delivered to the internet sales sites and local gun stores are sans srp's. The others are already starting to show up, but at a new, higher MSRP. Everyone I talk to in the industry says the same thing. If you can find 'em, buy 'em.