The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 12, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
jesus5150

What's your favorite (non organic) thing to shoot at?

I introduced my new girlfriend of only a few months to shooting and she LOVES it!!! Unfortunately she lives 300 miles away. I temporarily relocated while i'm getting my P&C License (I'll move back in a few months) But until then she comes to visit me out on the ranch. We enjoy plinking at paper targets and jugs of water in the pasture. She enjoys the kick of the high caliber rifles and most of all, the feeling of accomplishment when she see's a water filled milk jug detonate.

My question to you seasoned vet's is, what target gives you the most satisfaction and response? I'm using .308, .22, 7.62X54r, .40, and shotgun (everything from slugs and .00 all the way to 7 or 8 shot)

I've got wood to blow holes in, jugs to pop, paper cut outs, and metal pieces to knock over but I want COOL stuff. I was thinking about taking a milk jug and filling it with flour. Maybe it'd act like water but you'd get more than one shot out of it. I'm looking for DIY ideas like that.

I don't have computers or anything like that to destroy, and i've only got a week to prepare (she'll be here on the 20th)

Also what are some fun competitive things we can do? Last time i set up distanced targets and gave her 5 rounds and said, they are worth 25, 50, 100, and 200 points the further you go out, choose your shots wisely.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Hog Hunter

Dude I love shooting water jugs, also cinder blocks, but that could get expensive. Old books that aint worth nothin are good to shoot. Go to the local flee markets or where you can find some used cheap stuff and pile up on targets. Me and my buddys do it about once a month. I love shooting something other than paper targets every now and then.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Chipperman

Balloons are fun and cheap.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
jesus5150

Anyone ever shot a thick phone book? I feel like that could be cool. I did in fact buy balloons i'm gonna fill some with water.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Alan Duke

Cheap cans of coke/soda (unopened). I let my son shoot some and he had a blast watching them explode.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
KevinBeyerJr

helium tank

Try to see if you can rent a helium tank fill up balloons and string them to a clothes line, or you actually don't need a helium tank for that, now that I think about it. That should provide a fun game.
Old February 12, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7
troy_mclure

If you can find some old bricks.

Baloons of liquid.

Golf balls.

Cans of soda.

Hang an old cheap skillet from a rope, lots of bounce when shot, but even a .22 will go right thru.

Old fruit/vegies.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 12, 2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Suwannee Tim

Watermelons. They are not available in the necessary quantities just anywhere and everywhere but sometimes..... The wife and I stayed at a B&B one week and next door was a 2K acre watermelon field with maybe then or twenty thousand watermelons left to rot. I heard gunfire and went to investigate. It was the farmer and his son plinking at melons at ranges from 50 to 400 yards. I called my brother and had him put my 30-06 and 500 rounds on a parts truck which I met. I burned 500 rounds in four days.
Old February 12, 2010, 09:50 PM   #9
danez71

tape and light a road flare to a 1lb small propane cylinder

You can try asking your grocery store for expired yogurt, cottage cheese etc containers

clay pigeons are always avail

bowling pins and bowling balls, tennis balls etc
Old February 12, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10
kandrus84

always fun

Fruit, milk jugs, soda bottles, laundry detergent jugs

A buddy of mine and me once made a scarecrow out of some junk wood, a snowmobile suit, and a mannequin head my wife used in beauty school. It was a well and good until my buddy peppered it with his 12ga.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dummy.jpg (264.8 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by kandrus84; February 12, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 12, 2010, 10:17 PM   #11
TommyW

paintballs

My cousin and I drilled a board, about 2 feet long, and installed golf tees in a line. We set paint balls on the tees and shoot at 50 yards with the 17hmr...If you are interested, we set the tees about 2 inches apart. After you knock the paint balls off, shoot the stem of the tees....becomes a real challenge, and loads of fun..
Old February 13, 2010, 04:29 AM   #12
gyvel

One word: Tannerite. There's nothing like it.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:00 AM   #13
youp

Chips of wood swirling in a whirlpool. They just keep coming back for more .22 caliber slugs delivered by pistol..

Safety note. Whirlpool mentioned is backed by a high clay bank. Behind clay bank is 20 miles of woods. Shots are taken from another high berm so low angle richocets are minimized.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:09 PM   #14
horseman308

I'm sure this is just me being quirky, but a buddy and I once tried to find some of those old plastic garden gnomes. I don't really know that they'd be much different than empty plastic jugs, but the idea of sniping at garden gnomes from 500 yards seemed kinda funny.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:59 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Cream Corn, Tomato Paste, Beer, Eggs, Soda.... the list goes on...
Old February 13, 2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

You mean there's something beside Tannerite?

Seriously, take one (cheap ) radio-controlled toy car. Attach a lightweight 3' rod or stiff wire upright on the car (I used part of an old fishing rod), and attach an alligator clip to the top.

Clip a balloon to it, hand the remote to a buddy, and blast away! (Don't shoot the car )

It's fun, cheap, challenging, and good training.

(Tip: Choose a toy car or truck with a wide wheel base to prevent tip-overs.)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 13, 2010, 06:36 PM   #17
4INCHSMITH

Quote:
I'm sure this is just me being quirky, but a buddy and I once tried to find some of those old plastic garden gnomes. I don't really know that they'd be much different than empty plastic jugs, but the idea of sniping at garden gnomes from 500 yards seemed kinda funny.
Its not just you, that sounds hilarious.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:17 PM   #18
MrM4

Fire Extinguishers

Old February 13, 2010, 09:58 PM   #19
langenc

Hope someone cleans up all the crap. Dont look like iot at MrMs range.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:04 PM   #20
Crosshair

Old hard drives are good targets. I still have a huge box full from work. Pistol calibers really mess them up. Rifle calibers just make a small hole.

I take some of the shot up ones with me to job sites. The customer asks what the problem is and I just pull out the shot up drive and claim I pulled it from their computer. My boss thinks it's hilarious. The customer of course catches on after a moment of silence.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:53 AM   #21
TheNatureBoy

Anything that isn't alive.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Mike38

I like to shoot at those Necco candy wafers. Cut a slot down the length of a wood 2x4, stand up the candy wafers in the slot. Soda crackers work too. 25 yards with a .22 rifle, and 100 yards with my .223. What's great is you don't have to clean up the mess, animals or the next good rain cleans it up for you. Old poker chips work good too, but leave a mess to clean up. BTW, a hole at each end of the 2x4 and pole barn spikes help hold the 2x4 down to the ground.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:54 PM   #23
ratrodfink

Tom Cruise DVD's.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:03 PM   #24
horatioo

I like to shoot ice.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:25 PM   #25
Crosshair

Quote:
I like to shoot ice.
Talk about a double-entendre.