The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2018, 04:45 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Good books/resources for revolver smithing

I know there are a number of great books for re barreling and building custom bolt action rifles and some semi auto handguns. I'm looking for books or resources custom revolver builds.

Of particular interest to me is double action custom revolvers for hunting, IDPA, PCC, Bullseye, "tactical" shooting etc. I'm interested jobs like rebarreling, adding sight ribs and under lugs, frame modification, trigger work, compensators and porting, lockwork, advanced trigger jobs, sight installation, and all the things that make a fine custom revolver.

It's just for reference now since I'm displaced as a gunsmith but I plan to be back in a shop eventually and would love more knowledge and reference in this field
Old June 5, 2018, 05:17 PM   #2
FITASC

Displaced? Does that mean S. FL didn't work out? That's a shame and their loss.

Kuhnhausen has the BEST shop manulas for certain revolvers. Oldies but goodies
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 5, 2018, 07:32 PM   #3
LeverGunFan

Stackpole Books has reprinted the classic title "Pistolsmithing" by George C Nonte Jr. It covers both pistols and revolvers, and while it may not cover everything on your list it does cover many of the basic topics. Here's the link to info on Amazon where you can check the table of contents:

https://www.amazon.com/Pistolsmithin.../dp/0811708217
Old June 5, 2018, 08:46 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rebarrel a revolver isn't hard. Do you know how to operate a lathe and a milling machine? If not, take those NRA Summer School machine shop classes and learn how. TSJC also has a revolver course.
Old June 5, 2018, 09:47 PM   #5
dakota.potts

I am still in South Florida but regrettably I chose to leave the two gunsmithing jobs I had due to ( politely put ) interpersonal conflicts with management styles. I am staying in the area and I have taken a job as a machinist in the aerospace field to save money and gather experience until I can find a new opportunity or gather the resources to create my own.

Thanks for the recommendations re. Stackhole and Kunhausen. I learned a lot from Kunhausen's 1911 book and I was eyeing the pistolsmithing one anyways so they may both get added.

Gary, I have experience on both machines with gunsmith trade school experience and some professional experience barreling high end precision competition rifles. I don't have a shop right now to practice so I am trying to gather information for now. I understand the basics of fitting barrels but I'd like more detailed information. For example:
Are sight ribs and underlug weights typically pressed, pinned or soldered in place?
Are compensators generally threaded or dovetailed and pinned?
What are predominant crown styles?
What can be done to fit a cylinder and lockwork precisely and how can it improve or affect accuracy?

And many more. Unlike precision rifles and semi autos I have not had occasion to play with custom machining on revolvers so I am just wanting to read from the "masters" any published information as I did with rifles
Old June 7, 2018, 11:08 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sight ribs on top are generally screwed in. I'd do that on the mill to ensure that it is concentric to the bore. Put in a gage pin the muzzle and touch off on one side, set the zero on the DRO and then touch off on the other side. Midpoint is your centerline to the bore.

I would solder underlugs on.

For a compensator, I'd thread it (and time it).

Crown? 11 degrees, like a rifle (my choice).

For endshake, ranging, and other lock issues, get thee the Jerry Kuhnhausen book for the revolver you are working on. They are impressive works.

Good luck!
Old June 8, 2018, 01:20 AM   #7
dakota.potts

Thanks everybody.

I don't have a revolver to work on in front of me (I actually don't even own any) I just thought the field of work was pretty neat and was hoping for some reference works. Maybe something with nice, clear, step-by-step pictures and explanations of the work being done. I have seen many books include this style of instruction for rifle re-barreling (lots of pictures and detailed explanations of chambering set ups, cutting threads, coned breeches, extractor slots) etc. and I hoped maybe I'd find something along those lines for revolver work.

I will start by investigating the leads thrown out here.
Old June 10, 2018, 10:25 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Back in the '80s, you could buy used Colt (older Python type action) or S&W for $125. I regret now splurging on them today. I bought them just to learn how to work on them.
Old June 10, 2018, 12:00 PM   #9
LeverGunFan

While not an instructional book on gunsmithing, Hamilton Bowen's "The Custom Revolver" is an excellent reference work for revolver fans. It's available as an e-book; original hardback copies command a high price on used book sites.
Old June 11, 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
dakota.potts

LeverGunFan,
I put up the $10 for the Bowen book you suggested and it has been a great read. There is so much information here to give a solid background and I believe I will be referring to it for a long time to come. Wish I could get it as a physical book. Maybe I can have it printed
Old June 28, 2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Combat Weapon System

Brownells carries kuhnhausens books on Colt double and single action pistols, Smith and Wesson revolvers and Ruger revolvers. They are full of good technical information. They were written as a bench reference book for gunsmiths.