The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 27, 2007, 07:20 PM   #1
allenomics

Glock 34 - Good target pistol?

Is the Glock 34 a good target pistol? How about accuracy, compared to other guns? What about barrel length; too long (rules) or is it ideal for competitive shooting? Can you recommend a good holster?
Old March 27, 2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Jim Watson

What kind of "target shooting?"

Since you mention a holster, I take it you are interested in some form of action shooting like IPSC/USPSA or IDPA. If so, it is just about ideal for the non handloader. It fits right in in USPSA Production (I don't think it qualifies for IPSC Production if you are outside the USA.) and in IDPA Stock Service Pistol.

Said holster should be a straight draw strong side kydex rig from Blade Tech, Ready Tactical, Comp Tac, Sidearmor; or even Uncle Mike's. Do not waste time and money on cheap nylon.

Accuracy is good to excellent as service pistols go, but you will seldom if ever find one on the bullseye range.
Old March 27, 2007, 08:39 PM   #3
M1911

Agree with Jim. Great for USPSA Production or IDPA Stock Service Pistol. Not what you want for bullseye.
Old April 2, 2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Duxman

Allen,

I used the G34 in IPSC Production all of last year. It is an excellent gun for that purpose. For ranges under 7 yards, point your thumbs to the center of target and rounds go there.

The G34 is very accurate and reliable. It does however have a snappy recoil. Once you get used to it - you can shoot it quite well.

Good luck in your choice.
Old April 2, 2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Sidewinder6

Having shot a G19 for a long time, I finally took the bait and purchased one for IDPA playtime. I am very happy with it and I have about 3000 through it so far. I tried to shoot it with the factory sights and couldnt stay with them and recently put new TruGlo TFO sights on it myself.

I can say my performance has gone up considerably with the longer sight picture. I had an old Fobus that I use with it. I also have a BladeTech which I might go to but the larger paddle on the Fobus seems to give me a little more stability when drawing.

I recommend the 34 if you shoot alot and want your scores to reflect a bit higher.
Old April 2, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
eerw

Had a G34 for short time for IDPA and USPSA shooting..
it has good enough accuracy to do well in the action sports, would not recommend it for serious precision pistol shooting.

Mine had Dawson adjustables and FO front sight and a Vanek 1.5# competition trigger. it was a good setup..
Old April 2, 2007, 08:33 PM   #7
allenomics

Thank you for your informative comments. Your thoughts have been quite helpful. I also like the G34 and will probably get on soon.