The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 23, 2023, 07:55 PM   #1
Combat_Pyro

AR-10 Iron Sights

Hello Everyone,

I’m brand new here. I hope I’m posting this in the right place. If not please let me know.

I am considering re-zeroing my iron sights with the rear sight elevation up a full rotation from bottom. The reason I’m considering doing this is that at 25M zero my poi is 8-10” high at 100yds and I can’t dial the rear sight lower because it’s bottomed out at the start of zeroing. If I rotate the rear dial up one full rotation it will let me dial for expected range between 80 and 200 where the rise is at its worst. The only pitfall I can see is it will prevent me from longer than 600 meters, which I never expect to shoot. I’m interested in whether anyone else has tried this yet. Thanks!
Old December 23, 2023, 08:14 PM   #2
Nathan

What happens if you zero at 100 yds? You will be low at 25, but 2” likes w at 25yds is still fine for 90% of use cases.

Is there an optic in this system?
Old December 24, 2023, 02:13 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I can't speak to the AR 10 directly, never had one, but I can say what was done zeroing the M16A1 at 25m.

The "battle sight zero" targets had an aiming point in the center that you sighted on, and an "x" a couple inches below that, where the bullets were supposed to hit.

With the ammo we used (issue M193 ball) sighting that way put you a couple inches low at close range, a couple inches high at 100m and dead on at 250 meters.

If you're a math minded fellow, you can find the info and calculate the actual amount of offset between aiming point and bullet impact at different ranges, and come up with a number that will allow you to sight in at 25 and be dead on at 100. For me, its simpler just to sight in at 100 yards to begin with.

I will shoot a few rounds at close distance, just to verify the bullet is going to be on the paper at 100, then move out to full distance for precise sighting in.
Old December 25, 2023, 08:13 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I can't speak to the AR 10 directly, never had one, but I can say what was done zeroing the M16A1 at 25m.

The "battle sight zero" targets had an aiming point in the center that you sighted on, and an "x" a couple inches below that, where the bullets were supposed to hit.

With the ammo we used (issue M193 ball) sighting that way put you a couple inches low at close range, a couple inches high at 100m and dead on at 250 meters.

If you're a math minded fellow, you can find the info and calculate the actual amount of offset between aiming point and bullet impact at different ranges, and come up with a number that will allow you to sight in at 25 and be dead on at 100. For me, its simpler just to sight in at 100 yards to begin with.

I will shoot a few rounds at close distance, just to verify the bullet is going to be on the paper at 100, then move out to full distance for precise sighting in.
This is what I do as well. I found just sighting in at 25 yds doesn’t always translate to being spot on at 100. Too hard to fine tune it that close. When I got my first AR I only had an indoor range with a 25 yd limit so could only use that method to sight my rifle in with this method. When I finally got the try it at 100 it was off by almost 3inches, even though right on putting minimum of 5 rounds in one slightly enlarged hole. I went through the same type of routine with my AR in 7.62x39 using an AK target and even worse results. In both cases after coming back to the 25 yd line it still looked the same as the first time around, even after adjusting the sights to be spot on at 100.

Tags
.308 , battle sight zero , iron sights , rear sight