The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 6, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1
shooter71

Hk Mp5??

here goes my questions..prb lame but i wont know til i ask ..gotta learn somewhere right..

can a civi own a mp5? do they make one thts semi auto?
i know about the HK USC..pretty ugly looking to say the least...also can a civi own something fully auto?> not that i want one but i thought id ask since i have your attention...could a mp5 be used for home defense or would that be a no no? ive been shooting handguns for a few yrs and would like to branch out..i know i can buy M4s AR15s all day long but didnt know about the MP5 except for the USC..isnt the UMP a civi model?

so what do you think educate me on this or do i just need to get a beretta cx4 storm and roll with that
Old December 7, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2
mxwelch

Yes, if can afford it, can own a firearm, are 21 for NFA, can get a CLEO signature (or get incorporation), and get ATF approval (form 4), and find one fully transferable.

Here's one so pull out the wallet.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval

Semi auto: Not sure but if it's a short barrel rifle you'll still have to do all the above to get it. The only difference is that it won't cost nearly as much.
Old December 7, 2006, 10:03 AM   #3
shooter71

http://www.bobcatweapons.com/html_pages/bw5fspro.html

i think this is what i need..semi auto, legal, the right barrel length and doesnt cost as much a some new cars lol

id like to shoot a full auto..i see all these vids of people doing it..what do they do sponsor a day at the range or something..i mean i see kids shooting fully automatic rifles ..darn it i wanna shoot one
Old December 7, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
stephen426

Hey Shooter,

Where are you located? Some ranges actually rent full auto guns. The range I go to in Miami has a few of them.

I was at a range once and there was a police officer (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) who was shooting a full auto MP5. I asked him if I could shoot it and he handed me a full mag and the gun. That was an incredible experience. Probably the best bang for my tax dollars I've ever spent!

I was also invited to attend the FBI Citizen's Acadamy. It is basically like a PR thing for the FBI to let citizens know how the FBI works. They gave a lecture on the different responsibilities of the FBI and then the HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) did a live fire demo. That was pretty darn cool. I sure as heck would not want to have them bust through my door (unless I'm held hostage of course)! After that, we got to shoot a variety of guns including a Tommy Gun (.45 ACP), an H&K MP 10 (10mm), a Remington 870, and a few other guns. What a heck of a day. I was getting cramps in my face from grinning so hard!

Good luck finding your full auto gun. Getting a class 3 permit is a pain in the butt and there is a tremendous amount of red tape to go through. The BATF can inspect the gun at any time and it must be exactly where it is supposed to be. You even have to give them a blueprint of the house to show them where it is stored. If you go out of town, you need to let them know. Definately not the way to go. If you get a transferrable one, you will pay out the nose. I have seen MP5s going for over $25,000. That is definately in the new car range.

My advice, get a full auto airsoft and save yourself lots of money and hassle. They are still lots of fun and you can shoot them in you home. I bought one and I love it. Just be sure to pick up all the pellets or your wife will probably shoot you with it (assuming you are married).

Sportsman Guide has this full auto bb gun

Cheaper Than Dirt has a slew of full auto airsoft guns

Good luck and have fun!
Old December 7, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
shaggy

Quote:
Getting a class 3 permit is a pain in the butt and there is a tremendous amount of red tape to go through. The BATF can inspect the gun at any time and it must be exactly where it is supposed to be. You even have to give them a blueprint of the house to show them where it is stored. If you go out of town, you need to let them know. Definately not the way to go. If you get a transferrable one, you will pay out the nose. I have seen MP5s going for over $25,000. That is definately in the new car range.

So much bad info...

First, just to own onethere is no permit; for civilian ownership you pay a transfer tax via the form 4 for the weapon in question. You also have to find one that was made and properly registered prior to 5-19-86. Its not difficult, but it is expensive. Today a transferable MP5 conversion will run about $15k. BATFE cannot go through your house whenever they want to inspect the weapon - they need a warrant just as they would to inspect any other weapon in your possession. There is no requirement to give them a blueprint of the house or to store it in any manner more secure than beyond what would be required under state law. You can freely take it out of town, but interstate movement of the weapon requires a form 5320.20 be filed with BATFE, and the weapon cannot be illegal to possess at the destination (IOW, places like NYC would still be out).
Old December 7, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
VUPDblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen426
Getting a class 3 permit is a pain in the butt and there is a tremendous amount of red tape to go through. The BATF can inspect the gun at any time and it must be exactly where it is supposed to be. You even have to give them a blueprint of the house to show them where it is stored. If you go out of town, you need to let them know. Definately not the way to go. If you get a transferrable one, you will pay out the nose. I have seen MP5s going for over $25,000. That is definately in the new car range.
Why would you even bother typing this...?
Old December 7, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
MisterPX

Talk about Deja Vu. Didn't we just have this exact thread, complete with completely wrong info last month?
Old December 7, 2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Dave Haven

I have a friend who works for BATFE. I've told him some of the false information I've heard and read over the last 24 years concerning Title II toys.
His usual response is to roll his eyes and say, "Oh Yeah! Everyone's an expert!"
Old December 7, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
You even have to give them a blueprint of the house to show them where it is stored. If you go out of town, you need to let them know.
Just when you think you've heard all the "class 3" stuff, something new comes along. Never heard these before.
Old December 8, 2006, 12:58 AM   #10
stephen426

Sorry for the misinfo guys. I guess gun shop guys aren't nearly as informed as they claim to be. The guy told me a customer of his lost his class 3 for that reason and cited the other stuff. Oh well. My bad.