The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
rob i

Precision Small Arms PSA-25 review

For those of you who despise the 25 acp round, this is not the review for you. Please refrain from responding to this post with negative comments about the round.

This review is on my new Precision Small Arms, PSA -25 Baby Browning pistol.

As some of you may already know, PSA has been the licensed manufacturer of the Baby Browning pistol since 1983. The company was previously called PSP (Precision Small Parts). Guns made under both the PSP or PSA name are equal in fit and finish to the original FN made Baby Brownings. I can verify this as I have both an FN Browning and a PSA. I believe that they also sell these in Europe under the FN name.

I bought this pistol through PSA's company president, Lenn Kristal. Lenn actually does ALL of the final assembly and hand fitment for each and every gun made. Every single gun that leaves their company has been thoroughly gone over by Lenn. This is quality control at its best as Lenn has a tremendous passion for each gun that they build.

The model I purchased was the brushed stainless steel model. It is machined from a solid bar of 303 steel. Most of the PSA guns have PSA marked grips, however mine came with Browning grips. Nice! The machining is flawless and the fit and finish is perfect. It is truly an outstanding little gun.

At the range, the gun performed extremely well and was as accurate as my little FN Baby. Perhaps more so.

I am a pain in the a$$ as a consumer as I am always looking for absolute perfection. This gun satisfied this quirk of mine extremely well.

I had a million and one questions for Lenn, and he responded to each and every one of them very quickly in email, despite the fact that he was in Europe for a German gun show. His knowledge of his product is amazing and he always seemed to understand each and everyone of my annoying questions, and had well thought out answers for all of them.

Their guns aren't cheap. They are however extraordinarily well made and I had no qualms shelling out the cash for this gun. In fact, I love it so much, I will be buying a second one this week. This time I am going for their Beauxart's Stainless model. It has a high polished finish with nickel silver grips containing abalone inlays. I think it is drop dead gorgeous.

They also have 2 color case hardened models coming out in June. The case hardening is being done by Shiloh Sharps and they are offering one in a sodium cyanide finish, and one is being done in Ash and Bone. I have a feeling one of these will end up in my safe before too long as well. That's if they don't sell out immediately. I think they are only doing 250 of each per year.

This is a very small company and they produce very small runs of their models. They clearly have an absolute love of their product as this is the only gun they make, though they make many different versions of it. If you are interested in learning more, go to their website:

http://www.precisionsmallarms.com

I have attached some pics. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I may not have covered in this email.

If you like little 25's and long for perfection, this is a company that you will definitely enjoy doing business with.

thanks for reading.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA and FN.jpg (163.1 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg psa full.jpg (166.8 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg psa with target.jpg (186.6 KB, 454 views)

Last edited by rob i; March 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
SundownRider

Thanks for the review. I've looked at these and wondered why I would want one when I could get an original for less. But you're steering me in the right direction and may be getting one of these soon.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old March 25, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
triumph666

that is a beautiful remake of the baby browning....May i ask how much it costs for that stainless model?
Old March 25, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
rob i

The brushed stainless model retails at $649, but I was able to get a better price through Lenn.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
TinyDee

Excellent!
Old March 25, 2012, 09:18 PM   #6
gyvel

There was a company in Texas a few years back (Lone Star Arms, I think), that got a false start in remaking the FN/Browning 1910. Any chance this gentleman might consider picking up the ball on that? Apparently, he has the right connections with FN.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
rob i

I will be talking to Lenn Kristal tomorrow to finalize my next purchase. I will ask him about the FN/Browning 1910. I'll report back what he says.

Rob
Old March 31, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
rob i

For those interested, my newest PSA-25 arrived today.

I think it looks stunning. This model is called "Beauxart's Stainless"

High polished 303 stainless steel with nickel silver grips containing abalone inlays. Absolutely LOVE it.

Pics attached.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psa beauxarts box 1.jpg (244.0 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg psa beauxarts box 2.jpg (195.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg psa beauxarts out of box 1.jpg (228.9 KB, 416 views)
Old March 31, 2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Beautiful, classic little guns!
Old March 31, 2012, 12:58 PM   #10
rob i

Thank you Bill! I am obsessed!
Old April 20, 2012, 05:58 PM   #11
gyvel

Did the guy say anything about 1910 repros?
Old April 20, 2012, 07:55 PM   #12
kcub

Pretty gun!

I always wished someone would upsize the baby slightly for .32 ACP.

Maybe you could mention that idea on to Lenn.

There is a great movie called Flame and Citron about 2 heroic Danish partisans that fought the Nazis during occupation. They feature many guns, among them baby Brownings.
Old April 20, 2012, 08:41 PM   #13
PT-92

Nice review of a likewise very nice little pistol. I actually prefer the .25acp over .22lr for defensive purposes only as it is simply too expensive to shoot. I have one in a PT-25 and it's a great little BUG as well as plinker for fun when I used to buy lots of John Moses Browning's underappreciated little round.

-Cheers
Old April 20, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
michael t

I have the Bauer SS version .Bought in 1979 Little over 100 bucks then . Like yours a clone of the Browning. all parts interchange . These were made in Frazer MI . Glad some one has picked up on them . But I think price a little steep. I would look for a orginal browning for that price.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15
HisSoldier

Quote:
It is machined from a solid bar of 303 steel
That is really surprising to me. I find 416 to be much easier to machine plus being magnetically attracted is much easier to surface grind, and the vast majority of machined from barstock stainless firearms are made either of 416 or 17-4 PH.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old April 21, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
rob i

Gyvel- I emailed him the question about the 1910, but he hasn't responded yet. I forgot to ask him the last time I spoke with him. I promise to remember the next time.

HisSoldier- I assumed it would have been 416, but he told me they use 303 and at some point may move to 416. I have read that 303 is better for corrosion resistance, but 416 has better anti gaulling properties and less porous? He said they've had no issues with gaulling, and only one case of a slide being replaced due to a hairline crack prob due to pourosity.

I too would love a 32 cal version and will ask him the chances.

As far as price, they are pricey and yes you can get an original for slightly less, but fn never made a stainless version and these are just as nice as fn's originals are. I know. I have one.
Old April 23, 2012, 12:48 AM   #17
Locoweed

On mine the machined cuts on the underside of the slide were razor sharp and when I fired it they moved over the web of my hand and left parallel cut marks. I took the slide off and took a diamond stone to the sharp edges and dubbed them off. Solved the problem. A very nice shooting little gun. It is my understanding that they are made under license from FN (as was the Bauer) so that eliminates other manufacturers and keeps the quality up to FN standards.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:21 AM   #18
zombieslayer

I saw one recently. Beautifully built little gun.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:25 AM   #19
rob i

Locoweed- the Bauer was not a licensed copy. Only the PSP/PSA models were and still are. In fact, PSA sells these models on Europe under the FN name.
Old January 24, 2020, 02:54 AM   #20
JERRYS.

I can agree on the in it for the money based on the $300 too high price tag, but the ethnic slur isn't needed. I'm sure a lot of fluff pieces about a company or product are company plants, isn't that the norm?
Old January 25, 2020, 06:36 PM   #21
Bilbo463

You do know this is a thread from 2012?
Old January 26, 2020, 07:55 AM   #22
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo463 View Post
You do know this is a thread from 2012?
you didn't see the post before mine, that got deleted it seems.