The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 3, 2014, 05:40 AM   #26
mitchntx

Quote:
Without a trust, you are the only person who can possess the suppressor; if your wife has access to your suppressor safe and you're not home, you're both breaking federal law.
For me and those of us with significant others, this is the primary reason to invest in a trust.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:11 AM   #27
Dave P

".22 suppressors get very dirty very fast. "

I have a Gemtech that I cannot take apart, but after a few thousand rounds I have no need to. I am sure it is dirty, but what do I care?? Accuracy is fine.
Old July 3, 2014, 07:12 AM   #28
green_MTman

what is a trust,i have never heard of such a thing
Old July 3, 2014, 08:59 AM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

green mtman:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527153
Old July 3, 2014, 12:32 PM   #30
green_MTman

1.what is the NFA and or NFA item

2.cops cant refuse to sign a legal license or they can be sued and be civil liable,what does a gun trust protect you from right you have been denied

3.any person legaly eligable to own a gun may shoot it with you or borrow it with your permission.in a state that requires a formal FID card anyone with an FID can handle and or borrow your gun with your permission,unless its a gun attached to a LTC permit.LTC guns may only be handled by the person with the LTC,but uncle bob is always welcome to borrow your 30-30 for that whitetail hunt in maine next fall.

4.i am so glad i have no interest in handguns and automatic rifles,no and i dont have to worry about silly laws.

5.after reading your full article i still dont see have a trust fund gets around overly strict gun laws or crooked cops
Old July 3, 2014, 12:52 PM   #31
el_chupo_

1. NFA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

National Firearms Act. an item described as an "NFA item" falls under the National Firearms Act.
Includes:
Machine Guns
Short Barrel rifles/shotguns
Suppressors
Destructive Devices
Any Other Weapons (AOW).

2 The CLEO can refuse to sign off on an item, and they do in many cases. You can look at the page they sign for a Form 4 here (page 2): http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/downl...f-f-5320-4.pdf

There are other officials to ask going up the chain, and there may be legal recourse, but it is generally much easier to use a trust. Also cheaper than taking your city/state to court for a refusal of signature that they can legally defend.

3. No, anyone cannot borrow it. That may be the case in your state with regular guns. Its not a "regular gun", and there are rules about who can and cannot have access, and when, including that you must have "possession" to avoid violation of the law.

I am not familiar with "License to Carry" guns laws(apparently per MA law?), but that is not the same situation as with an NFA item. In many normal states, a "regular gun" includes a pistol you may choose to carry, and there is no license specific to a particular gun here in TX.

4. Cool story. If this is not your interest, the NFA section of a forum may not be for you. But enjoy reading about it, and maybe one day you will want to.
5. Then dont worry about it, and enjoy firearms in the way that suits you.
Old July 3, 2014, 02:27 PM   #32
green_MTman

i understand.i know you could never let someone borrow a handgun or automatic rifle.i was talking about single action hunting guns only and a far as i know you may barrow or lend out those guns if the barrower is a eligable gun owner
Old July 3, 2014, 02:30 PM   #33
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i was talking about single action hunting guns only and a far as i know you may barrow or lend out those guns if the borrower is a eligible gun owner
Actually, there's no federal reason you can't loan a handgun to someone. Illegal in some states, perfectly acceptable in others. NFA classed firearms are a whole different set of rules.
Old July 4, 2014, 11:33 PM   #34
dogtown tom

Quote:
mitchntx
Quote:
Quote:
Without a trust, you are the only person who can possess the suppressor; if your wife has access to your suppressor safe and you're not home, you're both breaking federal law.
For me and those of us with significant others, this is the primary reason to invest in a trust.
Find a better primary reason, because that claim above is bogus.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 16, 2014, 02:09 AM   #35
Theohazard

Tom, please explain so I can understand why I'm wrong. I have zero personal experience with CLEO sign-offs (it's almost impossible to get here and everyone uses a trust).

With a CLEO sign-off there's only one person who can posses the silencer. So if a person not on the Form 4 has full access to that silencer without the Form 4 holder home, wouldn't that count as possession?
Old July 16, 2014, 01:30 PM   #36
Sharkbite

I think the ATF would have a tough time charging my wife (who has the safe combo) with possession of my NFA items just because i was not at home.

If she took one of my cans to the range without me and got caught with it... Then yes, she was unlawfully in possession.

I agree with Theo...a trust is easier to manage and use then trying to go the personal route.

Also the trust (upon my death) is a non-probate asset. Simplified transfer to heirs over personally owned and willed to someone
Old July 16, 2014, 02:03 PM   #37
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
I think the ATF would have a tough time charging my wife (who has the safe combo)
I agree. I was always under the impression that this is one of those things that's technically illegal but rarely -- if ever -- prosecuted. After all, if the ATF is in your house to witness this then you've probably got other problems already.