The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 4, 2020, 09:55 PM   #26
langenc

The (D)s Trump revenge.

Saw information couple weeks ago, before the coronavirus..

Made in China--

90% of acetaminophen (Tylenol)
80 some % of Ibuprofen (Aleve/Motrin)
50% of Penicillin

and 80% of all antibiotics??

What in the hexx happened to Upjohn, Lilly, Parke Davis and abut 20 other US drug companies??
Old March 6, 2020, 10:08 AM   #27
4V50 Gary
Staff

Man, I still have a few Costco bottles of that stuff. I used to take Ibuprofen for school. My neck would give out if I kept my neck bent to look at my work on a vise, table, lathe.
Old March 6, 2020, 12:06 PM   #28
rickyrick

There is no good moral reason that availability of critical medical supplies should be dependent on another country.
There are plenty of profiteering reasons.
I’m not really hearing anything about gun buy-ups.
I think everyone is full on gun stuff.
Old March 7, 2020, 12:00 AM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I’m not really hearing anything about gun buy-ups.
I think everyone bought up what they wanted in 2016 for guns and then stocked up on ammo a year later. It seems that it's ammo that is seeing a sales spike right now.

Quote:
I think everyone is full on gun stuff.
Yeah, just about. While there are a few guns on my list right now, I don't need them and can live without them. Would be nice to have a .45 Colt lever action tho and the Kel Tec CP33.
Old March 7, 2020, 09:20 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

TruthTellers - it would be nice, but let time work for you. I adopted a used dog who is scared of guns (her previous owner shot her & her brother with a pellet gun). First time I shot a gun in her presence (to kill a rattler) she ran off for a couple of hours. Finally found her hiding in the shade of a tree. Because of her, I hardly ever shoot anymore. Kinda kills the joy of being out in the country where I could otherwise shoot anytime I want.

The fear arising from covid-19/corona virus is already keeping people indoors. Like the Spanish Flu of 1919-21, a lot of people will stay home. This will hurt a lot of small businesses. Even bigger business (travel with cruise ships, airlines, hotels/motels, restaurants, in short, the hospitality business) is already hurting. Decreased cash flow or less spending and affects us all and this can hurt the 2A oriented businesses a bit more. If you were pro-2A waiter/cashier/hotel clerk/theatre owner and the cash flow stopped, you concentrate on food, energy, housing and not 2A. That is, until the realization of the need to exercise 2A because of lawlessness increases and spreading. I hope the latter never happens.

To share with you guys how "unbright" I am, when I got laid off from a college job, I took my last paycheck to a 2A store and saw a M-1 Carbine (Saginaw) for about $115. "Wow," I said to the clerk, "you don't see M-1 carbines for close to $100 anymore." "This one is," responded the clerk. I dropped the check right there. Guess I wasn't starving or wanting of anything. But back then, college was less than $50 a semester and not the $150 bucks plus her unit/hour. Guess I'm dating myself now.
Old March 7, 2020, 12:15 PM   #31
osbornk

Quote:
I think everyone bought up what they wanted in 2016 for guns and then stocked up on ammo a year later. It seems that it's ammo that is seeing a sales spike right now.
Sales were up 62% last month in Virginia because of our gun grabber Governor.
Old March 7, 2020, 03:05 PM   #32
rickyrick

I lived with my grandmother or right next to my grandmother for almost all of my childhood until she died.
She lived through the Great Depression and real close to ground zero through the dust bowl (northwestern panhandle of Texas).
She also lived through both world wars, she was just a small child in ww1.
My grandparents’ grandparents lived through the civil war, and the time there after.
Being prepared is very important and nothing to take lightly.

We are not far removed from those times. Seems like long ago due to the technology revolution, but in reality, our time of being relatively stable has actually been brief... a little longer than most periods of stability, but still short.

As a kid, I knew people who had actually spoken to civil war vets and others from the era. Any downturn now would be extra problematic because people are less self sufficient than times past. Almost no sense of community exist today... no one has come to borrow a cup of sugar or flour in 40 years... yes that really was a thing. I was even sent on errands to deliver some ingredient to someone in the neighborhood that needed it.
Much of the rest of the world is struggling yet today, we are living in a bubble that will some day pop.

I think the gun market has crested and will be forever on a decline anyway. Been a couple of years since I even looked at gun accessories in a store or had even more than a passing interest in purchasing another gun.

I do want a good lever action ... but they are expensive
Old March 9, 2020, 05:38 AM   #33
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never mind the looming recession. It appears that the ammo sellers are doing well.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/ammuni...irus-epidemic/
Old March 9, 2020, 12:21 PM   #34
4V50 Gary
Staff

Brother just sent me this. Asians fearing a backlash from the virus are buying gonnes. Well, that increases the velocity of money and supports the industry for a while. I understand that there's been run on ammunition too.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/03...acklash-895254

Friend in SF area told me that uber/lyft drivers are refusing Chinese customers. Doesn't matter what race you are, the virus doesn't care. It just happens to kill more Asians than other racial groups.
Old March 12, 2020, 09:26 PM   #35
langenc

Someone suggested a govt stimulus of $1000 for every person. Ill be buying a gun, if so.
Old March 14, 2020, 09:31 AM   #36
rickyrick

We are certainly thrashing around in uncharted waters now.