The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2020, 09:52 PM   #1
HighDesert

MCARBO spring kit for CZ?

I’ve seen and read a lot of info on the CGW mods for CZs, but then stumbled across MCARBO offering a spring kit for a pretty reasonable price. Just picked up a P-01 and really like it, but would like to upgrade the trigger feel and also add night sights.

Anyone use the MCARBO spring kit? Would it be more cost effective to go with this spring kit, then add the remaining parts from CGW? Are the CGW springs far better?
Old February 26, 2020, 09:58 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm hesitant to recommend any aftermarket spring kit. Factory springs are designed deliver optimal performance for the firearm (unless you buy a PoS piece whose makers are more concerned with maximum profit). Aftermarket springs are made to make $$$ for the spring maker. Sometimes you need to get an aftermarket and I did when the factory magazine spring was too weak and I could only get an aftermarket one.

I'd rather hone the parts than swap out springs. My neighbor always does spring swaps and regularly runs into problems when he does. I always tell him to put the factory stuff back in because they work.
Old February 27, 2020, 03:15 PM   #3
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
I'm hesitant to recommend any aftermarket spring kit. Factory springs are designed deliver optimal performance for the firearm (unless you buy a PoS piece whose makers are more concerned with maximum profit). Aftermarket springs are made to make $$$ for the spring maker. Sometimes you need to get an aftermarket and I did when the factory magazine spring was too weak and I could only get an aftermarket one.

I'd rather hone the parts than swap out springs. My neighbor always does spring swaps and regularly runs into problems when he does. I always tell him to put the factory stuff back in because they work.
It's why I was asking. I have not doubt the CGW stuff is top notch, but haven't read anything negative about MCARBO either. Actually, very little about them.

I had an LC9, I changed trigger pull and springs on. It improved the handgun by a long shot, but unfortunately it wasn't enough to prevent the pain in my arthritic finger joints. Never malfunctioned though and I think I paid $60 for the whole mod.
Old February 28, 2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Dan-O

I’ve used mcarbo products for other firearms and always been more than happy.
Old February 28, 2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Nathan

The thing you have to remember is spring kits are just that. They only lower spring force. They don’t improve friction, creep, crispness, etc.
Old February 28, 2020, 07:15 PM   #6
MarkCO

MCARBO makes good stuff, but I have not used the CZ specific parts, but have other brands. What Nathan said is very true, and some guys have sent their guns to Cajun Gun Works or MCARBO to get the work done. The few extra bucks to polish the right parts the right way is worth it to many. My P09 has CGW parts and I have two firearms with MCARBO parts. Contrary to 4V50's generality, it certainly does not apply to either of these companies.