The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 2002, 11:14 PM   #1
JH

"Blue Bags" for Rust Prevention

Bianchi used to make a product called a "Blue Bag" which emitted protective vapors to keep guns from rusting. Kleen Bore makes a similar product. Any information about these products and their effectiveness would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
Old July 8, 2002, 02:44 PM   #2
AK103K

I've used some of these. They seem to work as advertised. I've used the rifle and pistol sized bags. I tried them on a couple of guns I dont shoot much anymore that are in the back of the safe. I check them once or twice a year and they seem fine. I dont know if thats really a test for the bags though. The first set of bags I got were within the date on the bag (the bags are dated with an expire date on them), the last set I got were not. I didnt know they were still available as I havent seen them advertised by anyone for a while.

(I used the Blue Bags)
Old July 8, 2002, 06:03 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The bags use a version of Vapor Paper. This treated paper gives off a vapor that prevents rust. Ii think Brownell's sell it and the ready to use bags.

This is how the military now store weapons. They can take a firearm out of the bag, and it's ready to use without having to do a big degrease operation.

By all accounts, it's a really good storage system, maybe even better than the old Cosmoline.