The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2018, 12:11 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Ruger PC Carbine in .45 ACP

Hi Folks,

Has anyone heard if Ruger has plans to introduce a PC takedown carbine in .45 ACP?

If they offer a magazine adapter for 1911 magazines and Glock 30 magazines, this type of carbine would become a best seller. Agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 10, 2018, 12:41 PM   #2
tahunua001

I doubt that they will, at least in the hoped for configuration.
the 9mm is suffering teething problems. their major selling point is the fact that you can drop in a bx25 trigger to give a smoother feel from the factory, but my question is why didn't they just include it to begin with? the BX really can't be that much more expensive or difficult to incorporate into the design than the existing standard 10/22 type trigger group they currently have(that suck). Ruger is a fan of proprietary mags. the fact that they offer the glock mag version is very out of character for them. I believe that if they do release a 45ACP model, it will follow the same formula as the 9mm, and have an option for either SR45 mags or glock mags.

in all likelihood, they will release a 22lr version that is just an uglied up 10/22 takedown before going with other models that require more work and retooling.

I personally am not a huge fan of a 45ACP carbine that takes 1911 mags. the ammo capacity leaves you spending more time reloading than shooting and even the 15 round super long mags tend to feel like they don't last long enough.
Old August 16, 2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Apple a Day

No, they do NOT advertise that you can put in a BX-25 trigger.
It is NOT compatible and the rep at last year's SHOT show specifically pointed that out. A lot of the trigger components like the hammer are individually compatible but with the mag well the geometry is different. NOT compatible. Believe me, I own both a PC-9 and 10/22.
I think someone will make a pistol grip/collapsing stock with more rails and such. There may be an integrally suppressed barrel in the works.
I still have the odd fantasy about a carbine in 9x18 Makarov
Old August 17, 2018, 12:31 PM   #4
TruthTellers

The BX trigger isn't that great anyway, it's only slightly better than the stock 10/22 triggers. Unless you can get one for 50 bucks, don't bother with it.

As for more PC carbines in the future, I think it's probable. There aren't many options out there for pistol carbines in calibers other than 9mm that are under a grand, the Kriss is out there, but holy hell it's expensive and is designed to reduce recoil shooting in full auto, not semi auto.

Kel Tec's Sub 2000 is cheap and light, but it will never be available in anything other than 9mm or .40, the Hi Points are great, but they're proprietary mags so your pistols mags won't work in them... so, yeah, I can see the potential of a carbine that has mag adapters to work with a variety of magazines, especially 1911 and Glock .45 mags.

Hopefully Ruger realizes the potential that the PC carbine has, but they don't seem to see it as they haven't even offered a Beretta 92 mag adapter yet.

That alone makes me worry Ruger isn't going to put much effort into the carbine and then we'll never get a 10mm version.
Old August 17, 2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Jim Watson

There is a persistent rumor that Ruger's "interchangeable bolt head" is meant to make other calibers convenient.
The big market is 9mm for PCC competition and centerfire plinking. We will just have to wait and see if they see other niches worth filling.
Old August 17, 2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Screwball

I’ve wrote to them requesting one... if you want one, definitely do the same.

Looking at the market, .45 is likely your next release. .40 is blah... even though it would be easy to do. 10mm won’t return on the investment, unless they do a .45 first. 10mm tends to use .45 magazines, so it would be an easier redesign as if they did the .40 from 9mm (might have more demand for 10mm than .40, to be honest). Add in .45 is sub-sonic, and they do come threaded... you have an excellent suppressor host (or if they do a suppressed barrel assembly, like the 10/22). They have the SR45 magazine to base it off, unless they get creative and do a 1911 magazine... but hopefully both and Glock). If that occurs (.45 rifle), watch Glock start doing .45 magazines over 13 rounds. That would jump start the .45 carbine market quick, fast, and in a hurry.

But I do see a lack of magazine adapters as a questionable issue. At the very least, figure a license program with other manufacturers (Beretta, SIG, CZ, etc) and allow some funds to go back to them per agreement (I would like to see how Glock handled the original release). Pistol caliber carbines are definitely a finicky market. Sometimes, you get a strong surge of buyers, then no interest for a period of time. I’ve loved them since I first got my CX4, and if a .45 PC carbine in a similar setup comes out... I will get it (I carry a Glock 30S). Very least, it will cause me to also get a threaded 30S barrel for a suppressor.
Old August 18, 2018, 12:36 AM   #7
TruthTellers

I don't see Glock ever offering .45 or 10mm mags in higher capacities, but aftermarket manufacturers like Magpul and ETS might. I think there's a market there for such mags and if they never become reality, it's awful hard to justify getting a 10mm or .45 Glock because there are superior pistols chambered in those cartridges that have just as high a capacity.

The only real reason to get a Glock is carbines that take Glock mags, i.e Kel Tec and Ruger.

I do think the .45 is the next PC carbine caliber. Also, don't write off a 10mm PC Carbine yet because Ruger has come out with two revolvers in 10mm over the past year. 10 years ago we all would have said that would be the dumbest business decision ever.

Times have changed.
Old August 18, 2018, 02:22 AM   #8
Model12Win

I'd LOVE LOVE to get a PC carbine in .45 Automatic Colt's that takes M1911A1 mags, at least with an adapter installed.
Old August 18, 2018, 06:41 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with you Model12Win. I would prefer a 10 mm that can take Glock 20 magazines. Good for bear & cat.
Old August 18, 2018, 06:50 AM   #10
MarkCO

I really like my 10mm carbine, DI AR pattern using a QC10 lower and G20 mags. Would not want a blowback 10mm though.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:06 PM   #11
bamaranger

you can bet on it

Now that I have put money on a Hi Point 10mm carbine (GASP, yes I did) you can bet that Ruger will offer their new carbine in both 10mm and .45 soon.
Old August 31, 2018, 12:04 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Now that I have put money on a Hi Point 10mm carbine (GASP, yes I did) you can bet that Ruger will offer their new carbine in both 10mm and .45 soon.
It would be an awful waste releasing a 9mm carbine into a market that's full of them. So far only Kriss and Hi Point have .45 or 10mm carbines that aren't AR based and the Kriss is expensive due to the design while the Hi Point uses their awful proprietary magazines.

Kind of going on a tangent here, but it's been 14 years since the AWB ended and Hi Point is still making guns like the AWB is still in effect. FFS, get your people around a table and come up with some pistols that hold more rounds in the mag, make the mags better, and make the carbines use the same mags as the pistol.
Old August 31, 2018, 07:10 AM   #13
Nanuk

Why wait for Ruger. Buy quality right off the bat, why be a beta tester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys99FLJFlHQ&t=649s
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 31, 2018, 02:05 PM   #14
Bimus

in 45 acp 9mm or 40 S&W in a Ruger carbine would be nice but to me in 10 mm that really changes everything