The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 16, 2018, 04:29 PM   #26
kenny53

I have been carrying M&P 9 IWB. M&P 9c right front pocket, Sticky holster. Left front pocket LCP or LCR 22mag. Sometimes I carry 1911 IWB. Depends on my mood.
Old June 16, 2018, 06:04 PM   #27
Nanuk

I carry a full size Glock or S&W 44 mag 24/7.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:04 AM   #28
OhioGuy

I"ve heard strong opinions on this before. Some people rotate through an entire collection, while others consider "carry rotation" to be as good as suicide.

I train and compete with my primary gun, CZ P-07, very frequently and year-round. It's G19-sized. I've found that with the right holster (thank you JM Custom Kydex!) at the appendix position, I can conceal that sucker under surprisingly light clothing. The biggest challenge is shirts that ride up, moreso than printing. Any shirt that isn't fitted or especially thin will usually do the trick, and your "average guy" button-up checkered short sleeve shirts conceal that as well as they'd conceal a squirt gun. So that's my go-to almost always. I'm willing to dress around that rather than switch guns so I can carry under a thin T-shirt.

I also have a Walther PPS M2 that I can carry under much lighter clothing, and in a 3 Speed Holster (look them up, great products) it disappears under tucked-in dress clothing, with a spare mag! That's about the only time/reason I carry anything other than my P-07.

So my logic is: carry what you train with, and vice versa. I know people who shoot all the time with full size target pistols, and then carry snubbie revolvers that they never shoot because ammo is expensive and .357 hurts their hands.

If I'm used to shooting a Glock 19 and suddenly have to reach for a Glock 43, will I fumble it all because they're different? Maybe, probably not too bad.

If I'm used to shooting a Beretta 92 and suddenly reach for a 2" revolver? I'm guessing I'm screwed, they're nothing at all alike.

So I think having a very limited number of options to carry, and training regularly with them all, is a good compromise.

A similar manual of arms (i.e. DA/SA on both, similar sights, both semi-auto or both revolvers, etc.) would seem to help, but I'm speculating. Makes sense that if I spend 95% of my time shooting a 6 lb Glock trigger, I shouldn't be reaching for a 14 lb revolver trigger?

But "hmmmm....which gun do I feel like carrying today? My 1911 Commander or my Ruger LCP?" is probably going down the wrong path
Old June 17, 2018, 07:18 AM   #29
Nathan

I follow the rotation concept. I like thumb safeties on all, but break my own rule with my pocket pistol.....because I reholster outside my pocket!

Pocket - Kahr CW380

Easy carry - Shield w/ safety 9mm

Max size - DW CCO 1911 45 auto
Old June 18, 2018, 12:45 AM   #30
KY_blkout

Alot of good different ideas on this subject in this thread.
Old June 18, 2018, 08:44 AM   #31
Charlie98

After doing some informal training using a few different pistols I carried as EDC, I decided the best path was to pick one system with no doo-dads and stick with it. I love the 1911, but what I found was in stress testing I was actually knocking the thumb safety off before I even had it out of the holster... which just isn't a good idea. I also had trouble making the DA/SA transition (PPK/s, any DA auto) under duress, so that was out, too. I also don't have the range availability some do... I'm lucky if I can make it to the range once a month, and, simply, you have to train with what you are carrying if you expect to perform at the Moment of Truth.

I finally wound up with a Kahr CW9... which I consider a 'gross motor skill' type of pistol... no external safety, no switches, no nothing... draw and pull the trigger. Thankfully, the Kahr grip profile is very similar to a 1911, or at least it fits my hand as well as a 1911, and the trigger, while long, is smooth and linear... so I can draw and present it well.

I carry the 7-round CW9 as my EDC, but I swap it's smaller 6-round brother, the CM9, in when I need proper concealment. They both use the same holsters and the same magazines, and shoot the same ammos to basically the same POA.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 18, 2018, 11:00 AM   #32
fastbolt

You know, this reminds me of the arguments often heard in some dojos back when I was a younger practitioner, just getting started.

Some guys would argue that they only needed to really master one solid, well executed technique for virtually any situation that might require them to defend themselves against an attacker. It might be a punch, or it might be a kick, depending on the practitioner. Usually it was something immediately offensive, with little thought to defensive techniques.

Other guys argued that a small selection of techniques, learned pretty well (if not all of them "mastered"), would be more practical, making for a better rounded potential defense and offense.

Yet others argued that the unpredictability of any attacker, or attackers, required learning to use all of the techniques taught within the style, both defensive and offensive. That would take much more hard work, and wouldn't necessarily allow someone the "comfort" of sticking with just one or two of their favorite techniques, or at least their most used technique.

Well, sparring ... and the occasional unexpected instance of actually needing to use their skills outside the dojo ... seemed to result in some disillusionment for some of the folks over time. Nothing ever really happens as we might expect, despite any of our preparations for it to happen that way.

Sometimes a one-trick pony can amaze ... but will being limited to that one trick always be enough, or make the pony better rounded?

Dunno. Probably depends on the pony.

As far as the arts question, though ... I eventually decided my "self defense" needs were probably better served if I expanded outside the Shotokan style I started in, and I also trained in Muay Thai (it turned out my original instructor had also been on one of the Japanese kickboxing teams at the beginning of the 70's), and then I later invested many years in some Chinese arts. I liked them all, and wanted to train hard in all of them.

That might help explain why I did the same thing with guns after I became a working cop and then a firearms trainer. Maybe.

Last edited by fastbolt; June 18, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old June 18, 2018, 02:00 PM   #33
Armybrat

My rotation:

Ruger LCP
Kahr CT380
Kahr CW9
Kahr CW45

All function alike with same long trigger pull and no "safeties".
All are reliable.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:45 PM   #34
jrothWA

Depends what I'm carrying?

If on long trip,usually have a J-frame,on me, but might add a 4" in side pocket or fanny-pak with credit card wallet and extra loaders [speed or strips].

If just CPL'ing a semi then IWB carry or panny-pak, with two spare mags.

Had a situation, when I pulled in a MT state park for night, and sprea the sleeping bag in the back of the Caravan and fell a sleep.
4:30AM got woke up by a V-8 engine firing up, look out the back window, a black pick-upturned on its lights then 180 to leave the campground, about 30 yrds higher in the campround, then stopped nexted to my car.

Reached around the drivers' seat and turned on my parking lights [to let the driver know I was awake and preclude any accomplice from coming up behind me and give me a low-level lighted field.] and did a quick 360 sweep, from where he came from to his cab. My Ruger SS6 in the hand, and the J-frame
between my feet. Had a shotgun but still in its case, with box of buckshot.
he pick-up thought about it roared away, gave it 30 minute headstart and drove out to finish my trip. Shotgun was riding "shotgun" and fully loaded, in case the pick-up might have made an road-block to catch me, coming out.
Made it to the interstate and did stop till Bozeman where I had breakfast.
Old June 21, 2018, 05:24 AM   #35
RETG

EDC is where the day is not what I'm wearing. When into town, H&K P30SK, out in the wilderness camping/hiking, PX4 .40.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:05 AM   #36
kymasabe

P32 in my pocket holster every day. Except when I feel that I need a little more, then I iwb a charter arms .38.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:45 PM   #37
Kirosha

Multiple. I don't rotate so much as carry depending on the situation. I sometimes want to open carry and other times I need a true pocket gun. I do mix semi autos with revolvers and mixing a safety in doesn't bother me.
Old June 21, 2018, 01:13 PM   #38
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
P32 in my pocket holster every day. Except when I feel that I need a little more, then I iwb a charter arms .38.
Missing the reasoning, unless "feels" is a reason.

Rationale: "Best I can do in work attire is pocket carry a P32, other times I carry a 38 IWB".
(When I was limited by work attire a 380 was best I could do, work is not an issue for me anymore)

As stated, can be surmised as: "Usually content to bet my life on a P32, but when the possibility of a lethal threat is anticipated, a 38 snub is preferred".
(If a threat was anticipated one would avoid the area or situation in the first place; caveat: psychos & criminals are mobile and not nocturnal)

Unless limited by work attire, seems one would strive to carry the pistol they felt most capable of quickly incapacitating a lethal threat.
(I know, my logic is invalid)
Old June 21, 2018, 01:17 PM   #39
Kirosha

Quote:
As stated, can be surmised as: "Usually content to bet my life on a P32, but when the possibility of a lethal threat is anticipated, a 38 snub is preferred".
(If a threat was anticipated one would avoid the area or situation in the first place; caveat: psychos & criminals are mobile and not nocturnal)
I have been forced to ignore the "avoid the area" on quite a few occasions. In which case I switched from a snubby .38 to a bit more rounds despite the size increase.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:31 PM   #40
raimius

Ideally, carry the gun you are most competent with. If you do have to go to an alternate, try to get it to have the same controls, point the same under stress, and have similar sights.
Old June 22, 2018, 04:19 AM   #41
Model12Win

Rule number one of any gunfight is HAVE A GUN.

The small gun you took with you is better than the .45 at home.
Old June 23, 2018, 03:45 AM   #42
Cosmodragoon

Another multiple here. I'm a big fan of having the best tool for the job, or at least the closest fit possible. Things like power and capacity are good but are largely controlled by size, which generally competes with our ability to conceal and carry comfortably throughout the day. It's a simple fact that jeans and a T-shirt in sweltering heat is a very different situation than multiple layers and/or a cover garment in colder weather. The best available tool will be different in each situation, so I have a few options in the "go to" roster.
Old June 23, 2018, 09:11 AM   #43
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger:
That being said my SD pistols are HK P2000’s in V3.
I really think my own P2000 v3 trigger variant is my best & favorite CCW, my Walther PPS-M2 is a favorite EDC option. And I like my Gen3 19.
Old June 23, 2018, 08:29 PM   #44
Nanuk

Quote:
And the fullsize pistol I carry is better than a mouse gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:36 PM   #45
Red Devil

Quote:
Quote:
And the fullsize pistol I carry is better than a mouse gun.
And the Compact slimline .45 ACP GLOCK G36 is the best of both.

That's why it's GLOCK's premiere CC pistol.

(Unless it's too big. Then the P938 goes.)

Red
Old June 25, 2018, 11:44 AM   #46
EM44052

Multiple guns for me. It depends on what I am wearing. If I am tucked, I like to carry a pocket pistol Ruger LCP 2, and in the summer months I usually like something lighter like my Glock 43 or S&W Shield, but depending on the clothing, I like to carry my Cajunized CZ P-01 w/ defensive carry package or my G-19. I try to carry my P-01 as much as possible. It is a fairly new hand gun for me, but it has become my favorite.
Old June 25, 2018, 11:56 AM   #47
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have only one carry gun, and have had the same gun since... 2009, I believe... one holster too, since day one.

I carry a Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
Old June 25, 2018, 07:15 PM   #48
fastlane

I carry one of three guns P938, Glock 30 sf, CZ P01. The Sig gets carried most of the time. The CZ gets carried if I’m wearing a lite coat. The Glock gets carried in the Winter months if I’m not carrying the CZ.
Old June 25, 2018, 10:08 PM   #49
Fjblair

Various. Depends on where I am, what I'm doing and what I'm wearing.
Old June 29, 2018, 09:46 AM   #50
MINSH101

My preferred CCW is my Kimber K6s or SP101. I practice with each. Neither presents issues with carrying with the proper holster. During the summer, thinner clothing, months I carry IWB. I switch to OWB during the colder months when I have thicker jackets and/or thicker clothing on.